Backyard Chickens?

Very nice! Do you have weasels or any other predators in the area? If so you might want to secure the bottom somehow or they could get in.
 
Very nice! Do you have weasels or any other predators in the area? If so you might want to secure the bottom somehow or they could get in.

Yes, we do. I haven't seen any but do know they're around. We actually enclosed the bottom with hardware cloth yesterday when we built it so nothing could get in from the bottom :-) the grass can grow up through it and we didn't need to dig below ground level to bury bricks or hardware cloth!
 
Wow, very nice looking!! Where is it in proximity to your house? Like in the other pics you posted?
 
Wow, very nice looking!! Where is it in proximity to your house? Like in the other pics you posted?

I didn't win on location. Its behind the shed... Which is actually probably a good thing, because the info I found was not up to date and we actually are not allowed to have them in our township, they say you have to have over 3 acres for 1 chicken! But if I put rabbits in this hutch/coop it would be ok... Why?!? So I didn't tell him, and didn't argue when he wanted to put it behind the shed. Its hidden so no one will see it or know we have them except the neighbor who will be happy as long as we share eggs.
 
Its hidden so no one will see it or know we have them except the neighbor who will be happy as long as we share eggs.
That's cool about the neighbor. I guess you'll really have to watch if you wind up with any roosters because the crowing would wake the whole neighborhood up. LOL
 
Oh I know jan! I'm looking for signs already, feathers, behaviors, combs... I'm putting them outside during the warm days and bringing them in at night for now so they start getting used to the coop but not left outside when it's still chilly. There's 2 that I'm leaning towards roosters but I'm not really sure yet! I'm sure I won't be able to tell for certain for quite awhile still.
 
I didn't win on location. Its behind the shed... Which is actually probably a good thing, because the info I found was not up to date and we actually are not allowed to have them in our township, they say you have to have over 3 acres for 1 chicken! But if I put rabbits in this hutch/coop it would be ok... Why?!? So I didn't tell him, and didn't argue when he wanted to put it behind the shed. Its hidden so no one will see it or know we have them except the neighbor who will be happy as long as we share eggs.
Aw, crap, after all that and they're not allowed! I hope no one finds out. It sure would be a shame after all the work you put in. :(
 
Updated pics (photo dump!) as quickly as they have grown, I had to remind myself they're only about 5 weeks old. I'm still at a loss on hens or roos lol... Though there is 1 silkie I am fairly sure is opposite the other 2... I'll point out why when I get to those pics.

Silkie 1
20160404_224932-1.webp 20160404_224945-1.webp

Silkie 2
20160404_225034-1.webp 20160404_225038-1.webp
Silkie 3 (opposite sex of 1 and 2? Comb is way different)
20160404_225133-1.webp 20160404_225137-1.webp

ISA brown (supposedly pullet)
20160404_225230-1.webp
Red 1 (for some reason I'm leaning towards roo)
20160404_225250-1.webp 20160404_225253-1.webp 20160404_225255-1.webp

Red 2
20160404_225451-1.webp Easter egger
20160404_225628-1.webp
The crew
20160404_225709-1.webp 20160404_225736-1.webp 20160404_225748-1.webp 20160404_225753-1.webp 20160404_225858-1.webp 20160404_225910-1.webp
 
@GennyB @WiglWerm do you think they look feathered enough to move outside or still wait longer? At night it's supposed to dip in the 30s still. They're about 5 weeks old now and we do not have electric by the coop so I cannot put a light of any kind in there. I'm willing to keep them in as long as I need to, and so is he after all the work and time we've put in so far but we're ready to get the room back haha
 
@GennyB @WiglWerm do you think they look feathered enough to move outside or still wait longer? At night it's supposed to dip in the 30s still. They're about 5 weeks old now and we do not have electric by the coop so I cannot put a light of any kind in there. I'm willing to keep them in as long as I need to, and so is he after all the work and time we've put in so far but we're ready to get the room back haha


Are they still under the heat lamp? Do you have,a basement or garage?
Some place where you can bring down the temp to acclimate them slowly? To go from warmth to 30° might be a bit of a shocker.
I think I have an article about this very thing bookmarked. I'll look for it later and post the link for you. :)
 
Oh, My! They grew so fast!! Beautiful guys!! (or girls! :p )

we do not have electric by the coop so I cannot put a light of any kind in there.
I don't know how the weather is by you, but this morning we are 21 degrees! :wideyed: Yesterday was one of the coldest days we've had since it starting warming up and not being 21 degrees!!! lol So the possibility is still there, I'd say.

Are you going to put electricity there for next winter or are they sleeping with you again? :wacky:
 
Take a look at the pics in this link. It shows a week by week progression...pretty amazing!
:shock: Wow, you're right ! Amazing! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I've never raised a chicken! Good info there. I bookmarked. ;)
 
We never used a heat lamp for them. Well, I did, for about 2 hours then realized it was melting the tub I had them in (i was so excited I was a bit unprepared) but they have done fine without it. I kept the heat in that room slightly warmer than the rest of the house up until recently.

@MyBuddy I've read a lot of articles about successfully keeping outdoor chickens over the winter and heat lamps are actually not recommended because they can cause fires, and most of what's in a coop will burn quickly. I know several local people who have had success without heat in the coop! I also carefully picked my breeds to be ones that do better in cold weather.
 
This year I decided not to use heat lamps of any kind over winter...they did absolutely fine...never stopped laying either! I think they are feathered up fine, I would put lots of hay inside and make sure they are locked up in the coop at night. It's still chilly but you would be surprised...I saw a lady in MAINE who had chickens with no heat source and they thrived!!
 
This year I decided not to use heat lamps of any kind over winter...they did absolutely fine...never stopped laying either! I think they are feathered up fine, I would put lots of hay inside and make sure they are locked up in the coop at night. It's still chilly but you would be surprised...I saw a lady in MAINE who had chickens with no heat source and they thrived!!

Thanks! My only fear is they won't go up the ladder to the inside yet, so I'll have to go out and shoo them in every night. No big deal though! I have plenty of bedding in the nesting area though... Maybe I'll try it out tomorrow and see how they do. Tonight it's supposed to be in the teens then it's back the 40s tomorrow so I'll wait at least 1 more night lol
 

Back
Top