Backyard Chickens?

My personal thoughts are get them young. They are more fragile when young but IMHO much better. We brought ours home when they were tiny babies. I kept them in a dog crate with a heat lamp. Once they started getting their big bird feathers I started acclimating them to outside slowly.I think that was in May?
I like them young because I need hem to be very people friendly. I let mine free range in the backyard and I need them to come back to the coup when called. The more you socialize them when they are young, the easier the whole experience will be.

How long did they stay in the crate? I do have mistys old crate (she doesn't use it anymore unless needed for crate rest... And even then I tend to spoil her and let her out since she cries lol... She doesn't move a whole lot anymore anyway so if I put her on the couch she typically stays there until you love her again (hurt or not!) or unless there's food... Anyway off topic) would the beginning of April be a good time get chicks? Or do you think I should try to talk him into sooner? I think I'm set on what kind I want- I really want an Easter egger but our TSC doesnt have them :-( they said they stop selling chicks in May, so I guess worst case scenario, I have until then... But I'd certainly rather get them sooner!
 
Ugh I'm having a really hard time here. I found a style coop I really like but don't even know where to begin to turn it into a blueprint... Other than the square footage base!
 
They "dust" to control mites mainly, but also it cools them off on hot days. They will find a place to dust themselves.
Ah! Like a horse! They will roll to scratch themselves, but they also do it to help keep the bugs off. :)
They eat almost anything. I give mine scraps all the time. They loves their "treats"
Love it! Recycle, recycle!! My favorite thing. :)
Once they started getting their big bird feathers I started acclimating them to outside slowly.I think that was in May?
Ah, man @MischasMomma you are getting into this at just the right time!!
 
How long did they stay in the crate? I do have mistys old crate (she doesn't use it anymore unless needed for crate rest... And even then I tend to spoil her and let her out since she cries lol... She doesn't move a whole lot anymore anyway so if I put her on the couch she typically stays there until you love her again (hurt or not!) or unless there's food... Anyway off topic) would the beginning of April be a good time get chicks? Or do you think I should try to talk him into sooner? I think I'm set on what kind I want- I really want an Easter egger but our TSC doesnt have them :-( they said they stop selling chicks in May, so I guess worst case scenario, I have until then... But I'd certainly rather get them sooner!


I don't remember how long they were in the crate. I kept them in the laundry room until they had real feathers and could tolerate the temps outside. Maybe from the end of March until sometime in May.
I think the beginning of April is a great time is bring some chicks home. We brought ours home at the end of March.
 
Ugh I'm having a really hard time here. I found a style coop I really like but don't even know where to begin to turn it into a blueprint... Other than the square footage base!
Post up some pics and specs
 
Post up some pics and specs

Screenshot_2016-02-27-13-53-48.webp

I love this. I have about a 5x5 Maybe 6x6 area to put it in. I can't find ANY type of blueprint or basic plans at all... And I've been searching all day! I keep coming back to this one though. I just love the look and really think it won't "junk up the yard" like he thinks a coop will.
 
That wouldn't be too hard to figure out. Build it on paper in sections, that should make it real simple. :)
This.
Or go with one of the pet smart kits.
They're 3-4 hundred bucks,and delivered to the home.
Sounds expensive but in reality to buy all the materials wouldn't be much cheaper and you'd be building from scratch.
These are already planned out.
 
I was looking at a few from tractor supply. The ones I liked there were about 2-300 and Wed have to put it together, but he's handy and already said he doesn't mind putting somthing together... But the less work I make for him the better so just putting something together as opposed to building from scratch would probably be ideal. He's already not thrilled with my new venture haha
 
This.
Or go with one of the pet smart kits.
They're 3-4 hundred bucks,and delivered to the home.
Sounds expensive but in reality to buy all the materials wouldn't be much cheaper and you'd be building from scratch.
These are already planned out.



The thong that concerns me is the quality. While I have never seen any of Petsmart's, we did look at several others before we decided to build ours. The wood was so thin you could almost put your fist through it. I'm sure an animal looking for an easy meal would have no problem.
@MischasMomma the thing that bothers me about the one you want to build is the bottom looks hard to clean. There is no way for you to get in there to give it a good cleaning. Might work if you make one side with a hinge. Then you could open it. But keep in mind you would probably be on your belly. I would also think about making the ramp removable for cleaning.
 
I love this. I have about a 5x5 Maybe 6x6 area to put it in.

I love the look of this one! But never having chickens, I would look carefully at what experienced people say about the quality, safety and ease of cleaning. Sometimes what appeals to us in looks is not practical or easy to maintain. And that's important too. You don't want to get into something and later wish you went a different route.

The thong that concerns me is the quality. While I have never seen any of Petsmart's, we did look at several others before we decided to build ours. The wood was so thin you could almost put your fist through it. I'm sure an animal looking for an easy meal would have no problem.
@MischasMomma the thing that bothers me about the one you want to build is the bottom looks hard to clean. There is no way for you to get in there to give it a good cleaning. Might work if you make one side with a hinge. Then you could open it. But keep in mind you would probably be on your belly. I would also think about making the ramp removable for cleaning.
 
Very good points!! See this is why i keep talking, so you guys can help point out stuff I overlooked!! Thank you!! :-)
 
Very cute coop BUT...from experience you want to hinge one side of the indoor coop so you can really get in there are clean it up in the spring, especially if you get mites you will want to be able to really sanitize the whole thing. I put linoleum inside on the bottom and slightly up the sides for easy clean up. And you want to make sure it's not too heavy to move when you want to rake out the run as I don't see any wheels on it. ALso, I wish I had thought about this when I made my new coop, when you cut a hole/ make the door for the coop put it a little higher that the bottom, other wise they go in there and kick all the litter into the run...pain in the b*tt.
 
ALso, I wish I had thought about this when I made my new coop, when you cut a hole/ make the door for the coop put it a little higher that the bottom, other wise they go in there and kick all the litter into the run...pain in the b*tt.
Great point!! :thumbsup:
 
Great advice thank you!! Now a location question... Here's a pic of our back yard. The red arrow is where he wants it (in the back corner, out of the way) the blue arrow is where I want it (closer to the house for convenience and near the garden to help with bugs) are there any big reasons why one would be better than another? I'm also worried for his spot since its close to the fire pit, wouldn't the smoke be bad for the hens to be in that close of a vicinity? If I don't have valid reasons why not, his spot may win out... And I may say ok just so i can get them!
2016-02-28_16.33.49.webp
 
Hmmmm.....I hate to differ with your husband (He's on board with this, after all! ;) I'm excited! lol ) but I agree with you on the smoke. I really wouldn't want it that close to the fire pit. And I like to run off the patio in my robe and barefoot to grab my breakfast! lol!!
 
Hmmmm.....I hate to differ with your husband (He's on board with this, after all! ;) I'm excited! lol ) but I agree with you on the smoke. I really wouldn't want it that close to the fire pit. And I like to run off the patio in my robe and barefoot to grab my breakfast! lol!!

He's still 50/50 but I'm planning now so I'm ready with all the info and plans I need in the hopes he says yes lol! I'm thinking I might wait until we buy the coop and chickens and then say "oh wait honey, they can't be so close to the fire pit, look how nice the coop looks, let's put it here instead!" :rofl: it's more visible where I want it too, so we can keep a better eye on it. And plus side, either spot is ouside the invisble fence, so our dogs can't get to the coop (without a shock anyway!)
 
When I got my chicks from tractor supply I put them in a rubber made tote with shavings with a clip-on light for heat.(in my bedroom lol) HEAT is the most important thing with chicks. Also make sure you constantly check their little butts, poop can become caked on them and it can be deadly. :) When they got bigger i put them inside the coop with the door closed until the weather stayed warm.
 
When I got my chicks from tractor supply I put them in a rubber made tote with shavings with a clip-on light for heat.(in my bedroom lol) HEAT is the most important thing with chicks. Also make sure you constantly check their little butts, poop can become caked on them and it can be deadly. :) When they got bigger i put them inside the coop with the door closed until the weather stayed warm.

Thank you!! I was thinking I might have to do that... But I need to find somewhere the cats can't get to! He'll really kill me if I try for our bedroom haha! So you remember about how long it was until you put them in the coop? I plan on getting mine from TSC too.
 

Back
Top