8mo female fawn. Timid

AnnieK

• We got her almost 2 weeks ago. Got her on a good schedule and my wife and I work from home so she's with us 98% of the time. She is very timid but warms up to people easily and even though she was around 20 other dogs at the SPCA she goes ballistic. She is getting better. She is a very sweet and loves lots of attention and she gets it. My question is how can I get her to get a ball, pull on a rope etc. She loves rawhides and not really anything else yet. Suggestions how to get her out of being timid and more playful? Thanks in advance

Welcome!

Well, in a nutshell, I'd say set her up to win at everything and to have fun doing it!

Be calm, confident and consistent yourself.

Guess I'm just a bit impatient. I praise her for everything and when she does something wrong all I have to do is show her the squirt gun. Since I live on a lake i want her to love water lol

Give her some time to adjust. There's been a lot going on in her short 8 months. You are at least her 3rd home. That's a lot for a baby. Yes, she may not look it, but at 8 months she's a baby.
Clear, consistent rules and she'll settle in in no time.

Welcome to DC. Two weeks isn't long for her to settle into her new home and gain confidence. One of the first things that my girl got really excited to play with was an old empty plastic milk jug, without lid of course. It seemed to make all the best noises when batted around! It's sometimes the simple things that they like the most! Oh, and we'd love to see some pics of her! :)

Give her some time to adjust. There's been a lot going on in her short 8 months. You are at least her 3rd home. That's a lot for a baby. Yes, she may not look it, but at 8 months she's a baby.
Clear, consistent rules and she'll settle in in no time.
Good to know I'm doing that already. Thanks. She is more spunky in the mornings now. Puppy steps lol

Take her out, then you throw a ball and go get it yourself acting like you are having fun. She will eventually want to join in with you. You may feel silly but you have to act like you are having the best time playing ball by yourself. Be a good actor :thumbsup:. I would recommend watching Ivan Balabanov’s video chase and catch 2.0, if you don’t mind depending some money in a video training.

Take her out, then you throw a ball and go get it yourself acting like you are having fun. She will eventually want to join in with you. You may feel silly but you have to act like you are having the best time playing ball by yourself. Be a good actor :thumbsup:. I would recommend watching Ivan Balabanov’s video chase and catch 2.0, if you don’t mind depending some money in a video training.
She came out of her shell today. Chased me around, playing with all her toys and pouncing around the house. Happy day!

Good to know I'm doing that already. Thanks. She is more spunky in the mornings now. Puppy steps lol

I brought a fawn girl home when she was 9 months old. I gave her her time, established the rules and made her abide by them. Didn't take her long to become one of the best dogs ever! my sweet goobs.jpg

Back