Dog fight over a bone

Kerryh

Hey guys,

So I have a 2.5 year old female staffy who is tiny and the most loveable dog to ever exist and a almost 9 month old male doberman, who is a boisterous goof ball but also a loving affectionate angel.

They are the best of friends and my staffy is definitely the boss of them until this evening. I have them both a raw bone each, Dobe crated and staffy on her raised bed. No one touched the bones, I uncrated the doberman and lifted one bone ((somehow didn't lift the second) so totally my fault, the dobe went for my staffy in what sounded and looked like the most vicious thing I've ever seen tbh, I dragged him off her within a few seconds, luckily this happened right in front of me. She's not hurt at all, no bites or anything, physically she's completely fine, she is however scared of him after, anytime he came near here after I initially separated him to check her over, she turns her head, total whale eye and comes cowering beside me to get away from him. I feel a bit traumatised, but am glad she wasn't hurt, I'm just worried their beautiful friendship is going to be ruined and she's not going to love him the same again (even though yes I know dogs live in the moment and this is unlikely) Its the first time I've ever worried he would hurt her, bones will not be given to them ever again, theu are fed seperately when they get food in a bowl, and also hand fed for training, sometimes together sometimes seperately, they've never fought over any chews or toys ever before and are really sweet together. Has anyone had this happen and how did you move past it successfully? TIA

Hey guys,

So I have a 2.5 year old female staffy who is tiny and the most loveable dog to ever exist and a almost 9 month old male doberman, who is a boisterous goof ball but also a loving affectionate angel.

They are the best of friends and my staffy is definitely the boss of them until this evening. I have them both a raw bone each, Dobe crated and staffy on her raised bed. No one touched the bones, I uncrated the doberman and lifted one bone ((somehow didn't lift the second) so totally my fault, the dobe went for my staffy in what sounded and looked like the most vicious thing I've ever seen tbh, I dragged him off her within a few seconds, luckily this happened right in front of me. She's not hurt at all, no bites or anything, physically she's completely fine, she is however scared of him after, anytime he came near here after I initially separated him to check her over, she turns her head, total whale eye and comes cowering beside me to get away from him. I feel a bit traumatised, but am glad she wasn't hurt, I'm just worried their beautiful friendship is going to be ruined and she's not going to love him the same again (even though yes I know dogs live in the moment and this is unlikely) Its the first time I've ever worried he would hurt her, bones will not be given to them ever again, theu are fed seperately when they get food in a bowl, and also hand fed for training, sometimes together sometimes seperately, they've never fought over any chews or toys ever before and are really sweet together. Has anyone had this happen and how did you move past it successfully? TIA
I'm sorry this has happened and I know how traumatized you feel. A 9 month old male Dobie is in his teens and that will make him try his strength and dominance. It's a shame he didn't try it on a dog who put him right back in his place!

Not at all an expert here but I have learned that the less invested I get into the dogs "feelings" the sooner they get over things. Of course being extra careful to not have items around that might trigger an event will be important as well as immediately putting your teenage boy back in his place, firmly, fairly and right at the moment he misbehaves!

Hopefully others will soon come in with more expert advice but just wanted to reassure you. Have a quiet moment and be calm. That will rub off on your scared staffy girl better than anything else! :)

No expert here either, but I will say this. We had a part German Shepard farm dog who could grab a large groundhog by the back of his neck and kill it with one shake. If your pup wanted to hurt her, he would have. That said, I would bet the teen brain in him can’t be fully trusted not to exert his power again. I know that my background with farm dogs has given me a much greater respect for what our dogs can do.

In addition to what has already been said, do take firm control of your Dober-boy in training, feeding, toys, everything. All that is good must come from you. As mentioned, entering his teenage years he wants to show who's boss - that will happen no matter what, but just think about children with siblings. If the parents are in the room there is rarely a child that shows brass on a sibling UNLESS they know they can do it and not be sent to their room. If your puppy already disses you that you won't challenge him for charging at the staffy, then he will become increasingly dominant. He may never hurt her but the emotional stress will weigh on everyone. I'm just saying be sure to be strict enough with your boundaries that it's understood that this kind of behavior can't happen.

Thank you all, he has never shown any behaviour like this previously and is extremely good otherwise, we train every single day and he doesn't really test my patience (only with chewing things he shouldn't if I'm in a different room) with her he's as good as gold. My staffy now seems to have recovered from the shock and isn't moving away from him or avoiding him now thankfully. I definitely won't be leaving any toys down now even though they've never fought over them before just on case. I will continue being the boss and firm with him but fair and see how we get on, hopefully this is one isolated incident based on the fact it was a raw bone and it never happens again.

hopefully this is one isolated incident based on the fact it was a raw bone and it never happens again.
Truthfully it very well could be a one time thing. Good that you came here to get opinions and keep a watchful eye out. Dogs very much live in the moment and most of the time recover quickly from a bad experience, especially your staffy being older and solid in her nature and having faith that you will be there for her. Thanks so much for the update.

We welcome you to share photos of your duo!

Truthfully it very well could be a one time thing. Good that you came here to get opinions and keep a watchful eye out. Dogs very much live in the moment and most of the time recover quickly from a bad experience, especially your staffy being older and solid in her nature and having faith that you will be there for her. Thanks so much for the update.

We welcome you to share photos of your duo!

Attachments

• IMG_20240101_143236.jpg
    IMG_20240101_143236.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG20240101140711.jpg
    IMG20240101140711.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG20240101164504.jpg
    IMG20240101164504.jpg
    610.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG20231231114053.jpg
    IMG20231231114053.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
I really hope you're right, other than that bone incident they are such a sweet duo, they cuddle, play, wrestle, and will never stray too far from another on our off leash adventures, I took them to the beach today and they've been 100% their normal selves together which has settled me a lot. My staffy is so small she wouldn't stand a chance against him if he ever decided to hurt her. Thank youuu ❤️

I took them to the beach today and they've been 100% their normal selves together which has settled me a lot.
Good for all of you. Just watch closely for any signs of a repeat.

In the meanwhile you are welcome to hang out at Doberman Chat to tell stories & share pictures!

Back