Doberman Aggresion

briannamurawski

I have a 9 month old Doberman Pincher named Bruce! I am having trouble with his crate.. He shows a bunch of aggression towards me but not so much my husband.. I am typically the one to put him in the crate for bed and in the morning before I leave for work.. He lunges, snaps, growls, and barks at me. He has nipped me a few times. He has always been like that but never to this extent. When my husband puts him in the cage he just goes rights in and lets him close it.. but when I try to do it its a process. He is in training for basic obedience and has been since we got him, he will listen to the basic commands, come, sit, heel, etc.. but when it comes to me and putting him in the crate he's a different dog. I have tried loud noises to scare him (like hitting a pool noodle on top of the crate) but that does not work anymore. We have an E-collar and he will listen but once I put it to a certain number he lashes out and gets worse. Outside of the crate he is the sweetest dog, loves cuddles, pets, etc.. he gets more then enough exercise and stimulation so I am not sure where this is coming from.. I love this dog more then anything and will not give up so any tips and tricks will be appreciated! I attached some pics of my handsome boy!

Attachments

• Bruce 2.JPG
    Bruce 2.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Bruce.jpg
    Bruce.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 3
I have tried loud noises to scare him (like hitting a pool noodle on top of the crate) but that does not work anymore. We have an E-collar and he will listen but once I put it to a certain number he lashes out and gets worse.
You’ve created negative conflict with your dog over the crate. I would start some positive association with it and see how that goes.

You’ve created negative conflict with your dog over the crate. I would start some positive association with it and see how that goes.
thank you for the feedback. Our trainer was the one who told us (even gave us) the pool noodle. Did it for about a day then stopped, Bruce wasn't scared he just thought I was playing.. I do try to give a bunch of positive reinforcement, good boy, yes, treats all the time especially in the cage. Seems like he does not care. He loves his cage and is always in it but also seems a little to territorial over it.

Welcome from Minnesota! Handsome boy you've got there! I have never run across this, as far as territorial over a crate but my first thought is, I wonder if he would feel differently if you (not your husband, if there is no problem between them at crate time) moved the crate? Might work, might not? Not just that the crate is in a different place, but YOU are the one who moved it, or moves it multiple times a day or week? I am assuming you have the space to do it, which may not be the case. Some others will have ideas too. This is a great place to get help with a Dobie. Knowledgeable people and polite too.

As mentioned, start over with the crate being a game, not the "end of freedom". Put his breakfast and dinner in the crate, leaving the door open. Then do the same with a treat or a toy. Over & over & over at various times of the day. Make a new word for it that you weren't using before, like Let's Go! and put the food in. Then shut the door, but only for a few seconds, then open it and walk away - so he sees sometimes the door shuts but it doesn't mean you are leaving him for hours. Build up the door being shut more often and for longer, and of course the times when you have to leave where the door is shut until you get back. You do this crate game with him, it should be something from you.

Also, 9 months is into the terrible teens. They really tend to push back at this age, so know that he can and will work through it. Do not tolerate growling or biting.

Welcome from Minnesota! Handsome boy you've got there! I have never run across this, as far as territorial over a crate but my first thought is, I wonder if he would feel differently if you (not your husband, if there is no problem between them at crate time) moved the crate? Might work, might not? Not just that the crate is in a different place, but YOU are the one who moved it, or moves it multiple times a day or week? I am assuming you have the space to do it, which may not be the case. Some others will have ideas too. This is a great place to get help with a Dobie. Knowledgeable people and polite too.
Thank you! His crate as been in the same place every since we got him at 4months.. I will try to move it and hopefully this helps, maybe he needs a change of scenery :sweatsmile:

Our trainer was the one who told us (even gave us) the pool noodle. Did it for about a day then stopped, Bruce wasn't scared he just thought I was playing.. I do try to give a bunch of positive reinforcement, good boy, yes, treats all the time especially in the cage.
If your trainer is a positive only trainer, that will be a problem for this breed. They need strong leadership and maybe your hb is providing that more than you are? It is easy to be "too nice" to these little devils, but they really require structure, boundaries, and they must respect you.
also seems a little to territorial over it.
Interesting...so he may also be resource guarding. This is good info to have to help paint the picture of what you're dealing with. I think the tips given about crate games will certainly help with this.

As mentioned, start over with the crate being a game, not the "end of freedom". Put his breakfast and dinner in the crate, leaving the door open. Then do the same with a treat or a toy. Over & over & over at various times of the day. Make a new word for it that you weren't using before, like Let's Go! and put the food in. Then shut the door, but only for a few seconds, then open it and walk away - so he sees sometimes the door shuts but it doesn't mean you are leaving him for hours. Build up the door being shut more often and for longer, and of course the times when you have to leave where the door is shut until you get back. You do this crate game with him, it should be something from you.

Also, 9 months is into the terrible teens. They really tend to push back at this age, so know that he can and will work through it. Do not tolerate growling or biting.
I have never heard of putting his food in his crate.. I am 100% going to try this for the next week and see how he reacts. I am trying to be the "dominate" one, but I don't like to yell, I feel like that gets us nowhere and he will just bark back louder.. He is def a work in progress.

If your trainer is a positive only trainer, that will be a problem for this breed. They need strong leadership and maybe your hb is providing that more than you are? It is easy to be "too nice" to these little devils, but they really require structure, boundaries, and they must respect you.

Interesting...so he may also be resource guarding. This is good info to have to help paint the picture of what you're dealing with. I think the tips given about crate games will certainly help with this.
Yes, they are good trainers for obedience and basics but not strong leadership. my husband is definitely the more “dominant” one where he will not tolerate growling, snapping, where I am a lot more lenient with him. I am definitely going to take all this information and put it to the test. Thank you so much!

Welcome! Being firm does not mean you have to yell....as mentioned; that just creates more problems. Just use a No Nonsense tone with him when you are correcting him. I think the crate games is a great idea to make the crate more fun, and not the end of freedom. And this is where you can have your 'play with me' voice...starting that immediately will change the game! Put him in a sit stay near the crate, throw high motivational treat in there - piece of hot dog or something smelly...and give him his release word....hopefully he will dive into the crate for it, then let him come back out and try again. Do all of the in - out for a bit before starting to close that door on him. So you are doing a little obedience with him, making him stay, then fun in the crate, and do it again.

Do all of the in - out for a bit before starting to close that door on him. So you are doing a little obedience with him, making him stay, then fun in the crate, and do it again.
Exactly! I don't think I worded it very well, getting ahead before I finished saying what it should look like (Fun!) before the door closing begins.

Yes, they are good trainers for obedience and basics but not strong leadership. my husband is definitely the more “dominant” one where he will not tolerate growling, snapping, where I am a lot more lenient with him. I am definitely going to take all this information and put it to the test. Thank you so much!
Earlier I had mentioned that maybe you are making conflict with your dog and the crate. But in this post you mentioned your husband being growled and snapped at. Can I ask what was happening when your dog did this to your husband?

Welcome! Being firm does not mean you have to yell....as mentioned; that just creates more problems. Just use a No Nonsense tone with him when you are correcting him. I think the crate games is a great idea to make the crate more fun, and not the end of freedom. And this is where you can have your 'play with me' voice...starting that immediately will change the game! Put him in a sit stay near the crate, throw high motivational treat in there - piece of hot dog or something smelly...and give him his release word....hopefully he will dive into the crate for it, then let him come back out and try again. Do all of the in - out for a bit before starting to close that door on him. So you are doing a little obedience with him, making him stay, then fun in the crate, and do it again.
Thank you for the feedback!! I have already started crate training "over" per say
Earlier I had mentioned that maybe you are making conflict with your dog and the crate. But in this post you mentioned your husband being growled and snapped at. Can I ask what was happening when your dog did this to your husband?
yes, so when he would snap and growl the trainers taught us to do a submissive position where we put him in his side and keep him there until we are able to stand over him and he “submits” to us. My husband has done this numerous times and Bruce rarely ever will snap or growl at him.

the trainers taught us to do a submissive position where we put him in his side and keep him there until we are able to stand over him and he “submits” to us.
I think you should try to find a good trainer who understands this breed since the ones you have don't seem to.

yes, so when he would snap and growl the trainers taught us to do a submissive position where we put him in his side and keep him there until we are able to stand over him and he “submits” to us. My husband has done this numerous times and Bruce rarely ever will snap or growl at him.
I meant what specifically is happening when your dog will growl and snap at you or your husband.

Welome!

Sounds like you have a situation where your Dobe feels he can bully you.

By the way, was the pool noodle being used to strike the crate or something? Was this supposed to scare your Dobe into submission or into ceasing his assertive resistance? I don't like the sounds of that tactic.

I'd guess that early on you accepted the dog growling at you and resisting your efforts. If you backed off (or he simply got out of doing what you told him, or delayed it) and he got away with that, he learned from that. It escalated from there as time went on.

I won't try to get into specifics at this time because I don't know your exact situation and there are many variables and possibilities; but I basically never let it stand when if my Dobe has ever acted aggressively toward me. This should be consistent from young puppyhood. Yes, I have had it where my last two Dobes would not act submissive if he and I got into a conflict of dominance and him starting to act aggressive toward me; but that is just their breeding. They (NOT ALL DOBES) don't show submissiveness and they may just ramp up their aggression to meet yours. But I have not backed off or made it easy for them to show aggression toward me. I show that I am at least their equal, and probably better. Sometimes it was a sort of stalemate in a few situations, but it has always worked out that given the firm consistent training I have given them, they accept my leadership. That's just a general overview of my theology, you might say, on the matter.

Some will not like to hear it, but often a dog will respect the man of the house more and try to push limits and vie for dominance with the woman and any youths. Your situation may vary, and yes, I know women are very capable of rising to the challenge. Time and again, however, I've heard it where the man doesn't receive the kind of pushback that the woman receives.

Do I see in your profile pic that your Dobe is on the furniture? That does not make things easier for you!

Welome!

Sounds like you have a situation where your Dobe feels he can bully you.

By the way, was the pool noodle being used to strike the crate or something? Was this supposed to scare your Dobe into submission or into ceasing his assertive resistance? I don't like the sounds of that tactic.

I'd guess that early on you accepted the dog growling at you and resisting your efforts. If you backed off (or he simply got out of doing what you told him, or delayed it) and he got away with that, he learned from that. It escalated from there as time went on.

I won't try to get into specifics at this time because I don't know your exact situation and there are many variables and possibilities; but I basically never let it stand when if my Dobe has ever acted aggressively toward me. This should be consistent from young puppyhood. Yes, I have had it where my last two Dobes would not act submissive if he and I got into a conflict of dominance and him starting to act aggressive toward me; but that is just their breeding. They (NOT ALL DOBES) don't show submissiveness and they may just ramp up their aggression to meet yours. But I have not backed off or made it easy for them to show aggression toward me. I show that I am at least their equal, and probably better. Sometimes it was a sort of stalemate in a few situations, but it has always worked out that given the firm consistent training I have given them, they accept my leadership. That's just a general overview of my theology, you might say, on the matter.

Some will not like to hear it, but often a dog will respect the man of the house more and try to push limits and vie for dominance with the woman and any youths. Your situation may vary, and yes, I know women are very capable of rising to the challenge. Time and again, however, I've heard it where the man doesn't receive the kind of pushback that the woman receives.

Do I see in your profile pic that your Dobe is on the furniture? That does not make things easier for you!
The pool noodle was just supposed to scare him, to get him to stop what he was doing.. I also was not a fan (also Bruce thought the noodle was a toy)..Yes Bruce does respect my husband a lot more than me.. I am trying to be more "dominate" so Bruce sees me as equal or more then him.. its a work in progress. And yes, he is allowed on the furniture, he does take naps with us and lays on the couch with us.. I will def be rethinking having him on the furniture if this is only going to be making the process worse! Thank you so much for your thoughts!

I agree with not allowing on the furniture just yet. He won't like the new rule, but I think you have to 'start over' with him. He may start growling on the couch to get YOU off.
Keep us posted.

Back