Dominant male

mancdobe

Hi all :)

I’m new to this site, and I have been reading threads on this but couldn’t find any that matched our situation. I’m really worried my puppy has turned quite a negative corner.

He is almost 5 months old, and despite the fact we couldn’t ‘cuddle’ because of the puppy biting, I thought we had a good bond. I have done all of his training, and his walking is actually unbelievable for his age.

The problems start in the house. I have noticed it seems he is becoming excessively dominant with everyone in the house. He will block our spaces on the sofa, bite to the extent of lunging to bite & as of yesterday, he has defecated on the sofa.

I read that all of this was to assert dominance. When he bites I’ve tried to close his mouth and say no but I can’t get anywhere near him as he wails about with his mouth open.

He can be so good - very obedient and loves new commands but there’s just this side to him. I know he is probably pushing boundaries and seeing how far he can get but I am so worried he is going to become a severely dominant dog. I can’t sit on the sofa without him climbing all over me. I just don’t understand because I thought our bond was good.

I’ve banned him from the sofa now and I’ve taught him ‘on your bed’, which he does obey but will try get back on the sofa 5 seconds later.

I really don’t want to accidentally raise an aggressive dog and I’m at a wits end at what to do here. Sorry if this post is repetitive

Welcome from Minnesota, USA!

That is typical behavior for this age and it's really important to amp up the training so he knows he can't be the dominant one over you. It's good that you banned him from the sofa if he can't respect his right to be up there.

I’ve banned him from the sofa now and I’ve taught him ‘on your bed’, which he does obey but will try get back on the sofa 5 seconds later.
You set boundaries and hold to your rules. Banned from the sofa means in his own bed, no "trying to get back on" is allowed. You must make it clear that there is no in between or half-way and it's not a game. Put him in a crate in another room if need be. He's way young to be pushing you so hard. I did realize too late that my puppy (now over 4 years old) had terrible barking, growling snapping "at" me (but never actually bit) at that age when she was overly tired. Like human toddlers fighting sleep and screaming for two hours instead. It doesn't make sense, but some puppies are like this. Instead of being with family watching TV, they need to be put in the bedroom in a crate with a blanket over the crate and the bedroom door shut. Dark and quiet. He may protest, but he will learn to sleep. But make it clear that this behavior is absolutely not going to be tolerated otherwise he will build on it. Best of luck and do let us know how the progress comes with him.

You set boundaries and hold to your rules. Banned from the sofa means in his own bed, no "trying to get back on" is allowed. You must make it clear that there is no in between or half-way and it's not a game. Put him in a crate in another room if need be. He's way young to be pushing you so hard. I did realize too late that my puppy (now over 4 years old) had terrible barking, growling snapping "at" me (but never actually bit) at that age when she was overly tired. Like human toddlers fighting sleep and screaming for two hours instead. It doesn't make sense, but some puppies are like this. Instead of being with family watching TV, they need to be put in the bedroom in a crate with a blanket over the crate and the bedroom door shut. Dark and quiet. He may protest, but he will learn to sleep. But make it clear that this behavior is absolutely not going to be tolerated otherwise he will build on it. Best of luck and do let us know how the progress comes with him.
Thank you this is really helpful. I did think he was too young. From all my research on European Dobermanns, he seems to reach the behaviour / age markers much earlier than any guidance suggests.
our living space is an open plan kitchen / living so his crate is in there but I’m going to move it into the spare bedroom so there’s less distraction
Thank you again

In the evening, we found crate bedtime by 8 pm was necessary. They can be awful.
Thank you, is your crate in a separate room to living space? We’ve always just had crates in the kitchen.
yeah he has been awful, he actually does turn into a devil dog and it’s so vastly different from how he behaves outside the home with me!

Welcome from Minnesota, USA!

That is typical behavior for this age and it's really important to amp up the training so he knows he can't be the dominant one over you. It's good that you banned him from the sofa if he can't respect his right to be up there.
Thank you for this, it made me feel a lot better! As a first time dobie owner it’s hard to know what is typical and what isn’t.
What age in your experience do they calm down?

our living space is an open plan kitchen / living so his crate is in there but I’m going to move it into the spare bedroom so there’s less distraction
My previous 2 Dobermans didn't act this way, but the one I have now did. My previous Dobes would just go to sleep if they were tired so I mistakenly thought my new puppy would too. At 4 - 5 months I thought she could settle on her bed as we humans sat in the living room with her at the end of the day but before dinner. She just got more & more wound up. I was afraid of putting her away in her crate which was in the bedroom because I didn't want her to think the crate was punishment. Looking back at the big picture I think it would have been the best thing I could have done. I have since learned that this dog I have now is nothing like the 2 Dobes I had before and I have to adjust everything I thought I knew to train this one.

As a first time dobie owner it’s hard to know what is typical and what isn’t.
There are Dobermans at each end of the spectrum and everywhere in between - well tempered, active but sweet & cuddly and bossy, independent, take-charge types. Both types are extremely smart and learn fast but will use their smarts in different ways, LOL. Don't be afraid to take charge, your puppy will love you no matter what. Mine was not cuddly as a puppy and I feared I'd never bond with her like I did my other dogs because I spent so.much.time. just trying to make her behave! But here we are at 4 1/2 years old and you couldn't pry us apart.

My previous 2 Dobermans didn't act this way, but the one I have now did. My previous Dobes would just go to sleep if they were tired so I mistakenly thought my new puppy would too. At 4 - 5 months I thought she could settle on her bed as we humans sat in the living room with her at the end of the day but before dinner. She just got more & more wound up. I was afraid of putting her away in her crate which was in the bedroom because I didn't want her to think the crate was punishment. Looking back at the big picture I think it would have been the best thing I could have done. I have since learned that this dog I have now is nothing like the 2 Dobes I had before and I have to adjust everything I thought I knew to train this one.

There are Dobermans at each end of the spectrum and everywhere in between - well tempered, active but sweet & cuddly and bossy, independent, take-charge types. Both types are extremely smart and learn fast but will use their smarts in different ways, LOL. Don't be afraid to take charge, your puppy will love you no matter what. Mine was not cuddly as a puppy and I feared I'd never bond with her like I did my other dogs because I spent so.much.time. just trying to make her behave! But here we are at 4 1/2 years old and you couldn't pry us apart.
Needed to read this as I am in the same boat almost days 😭

Welcome from Delaware, USA!

I can relate to what you’re going through and understand feeling helpless.

My girl is euro and 5.5 months. She is a sweetheart, but also can be a butt head. I worry at times if she’ll be an aggressive adult and I’m trying so hard to raise her properly.

I do think we are entering the teenage months hence the push back and not listening to commands she knows well. For instance, she’ll go to her “place” her bed in the kitchen where I am most days, then get off her place over and over. It drives me crazy bc I know she knows she is to stay there. Given her age I know staying in place isn’t going to be perfect she’s young, but man somedays she just won’t do it at all. Then somedays she does and lays there on her own so sweetly I make sure I praise her and sometimes give her a small treat.

But as for the sofa, that’s great don’t let him get on it and make him realize he isn’t the boss. We have an UP command and OFF we use it for the sofa in the den when she’s allowed UP. If she’s a butt head on the sofa she’s to get OFF.

I also keep her leashed a lot in the house, it helps me keep an eye on her and keeps her out of trouble. Like in the morning when she’s told to , break from her crate, I leash her asap. I then take her downstairs to potty outside and leash her and connect to at to the table leg so I can make breakfast for the family and clean up. Now soon enough she’ll drag my table and I’ll need to figure that out as she can move it now when she tries to run off her “place”.

Also, looking to start the e collar because she is needing some back up reminders on commands and chasing our cat.

Good luck! You’re not alone! DCF is amazing and helpful they’ll restore your faith.

Back