• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

18 Month Old Doberman Growling Suddenly

Mirjana.Kristo

We have an 18 month old male Doberman who recently started growling when someone is approaching to pet him. We had two incidents with this. 1) He was chewing on a bully stick. My son’s friend came up to him to pet him. She came up to him and gently gave him a pat on the head and he immediately started growling at her. She backed off naturally, but it really caught me by surprise as he has never resource guarded anything. He was trained and socialized from a very early age. 2) He was napping in his bed when my niece walked by and attempted to pet him. He started growling at her and then barked at her. Which again ia completely unsual for him. He seems completely healthy and no changes in his environment or anything. Had a checkup about 3 months ago and all checked out fine. I reached out to his trainer that he still regularly visits for boarding when we are out of town and she was shocked. He is around her, her dogs and family members and strangers regualiry and has never shown any signs of aggression or this type of behavior. It just scares me that he will snap at someone one day.

Welcome!

Those two incidents sound like normal behavior for dogs! No offense, but it was not the best idea to let those children approach the dog in those situations.

I'd recommend following some basic safety protocols with your Doberman – especially regarding children.

Two areas where a dog should always be left alone: Sleeping and eating. Children have no place in either of these situations. Protect your dog and the children and keep them separated whenever your boy is eating (including chewing on a bone) and sleeping. If he's sleeping in a room the children can access him, teach the children that they should leave a sleeping dog alone.

I wouldn't worry about your boy snapping one day... any dog can bite. Its our responsibility to respect them in areas they deserve respect. It would be worse if he didn't growl to express his warning. He likely showed some other signals even before the growling (possibly in other instances children have invaded his space) such as looking away, lip licking, whale eye, stiff body language, frozen, staring blankly etc.

So its not odd that he never displayed this behavior before and it is kicking in almost two years in? His trainer always told us to pet/touch/talk to him while eating when he was a puppy. This way, if someone messes with or touches him while eating, he won’t take issue with the contact. She has years of extensive training experience so this is someone that we fully trust knows what she is doing and not just some trainer off the street.

So its not odd that he never displayed this behavior before and it is kicking in almost two years in? His trainer always told us to pet/touch/talk to him while eating when he was a puppy. This way, if someone messes with or touches him while eating, he won’t take issue with the contact. She has years of extensive training experience so this is someone that we fully trust knows what she is doing and not just some trainer off the street.
In my opinion, it's not too odd. Medium and large dogs mature into their 2nd year. They can change as they mature. I'm not saying your Dobe is going to turn into a different dog that you don't know or anything; rather he is just still maturing. Often, dogs are less tolerant of children once they are mature. If one wants their dog to be as tolerant of kids as possible, they need to pretty consistently expose them to kids from a young age. You may have done this, and I understand you are working with an experienced trainer, but keep in mind the dog is still maturing. In addition, just know that some situations are naturally more dangerous and can trigger dogs.

An example: My previous Dobe, which was trained by me very well from young puppyhood one day lashed out at our toddler who toddled over to him while he was laying in a sunbeam in the wood floor. Thank God he did not bite down, but he put his jaws around her tiny forearm. It was just a high value spot for the dog and he knew that the expectation in our household is that he moves when we head toward him – he shows deference and gets out of our way instead of us having to go to the trouble of moving around him. Well, he was grumpy about having to get up from his sunbeam spot. He lurched up in a hurry and just naturally lashed out at her. I saw the whole thing and I sternly verbally reprimanded him; but at the same time, I couldn't blame him. On that day I clearly told my daughter to never approach him when he was laying in a sunbeam.

In my opinion, it's not too odd. Medium and large dogs mature into their 2nd year. They can change as they mature. I'm not saying your Dobe is going to turn into a different dog that you don't know or anything; rather he is just still maturing. Often, dogs are less tolerant of children once they are mature. If one wants their dog to be as tolerant of kids as possible, they need to pretty consistently expose them to kids from a young age. You may have done this, and I understand you are working with an experienced trainer, but keep in mind the dog is still maturing. In addition, just know that some situations are naturally more dangerous and can trigger dogs.

An example: My previous Dobe, which was trained by me very well from young puppyhood one day lashed out at our toddler who toddled over to him while he was laying in a sunbeam in the wood floor. Thank God he did not bite down, but he put his jaws around her tiny forearm. It was just a high value spot for the dog and he knew that the expectation in our household is that he moves when we head toward him – he shows deference and gets out of our way instead of us having to go to the trouble of moving around him. Well, he was grumpy about having to get up from his sunbeam spot. He lurched up in a hurry and just naturally lashed out at her. I saw the whole thing and I sternly verbally reprimanded him; but at the same time, I couldn't blame him. On that day I clearly told my daughter to never approach him when he was laying in a sunbeam.
We def did. He has been around kids since we got him. The breeder we got him from also has 4 kids who handled the dogs from the time they were born every day. Just a side of him I have never seen before. You always hear how "good" dobies are with kids so it just really scared me and now I am super anxious whenever any kids are over.

I’m not a trainer so don’t take my word for it, but I’ve heard touching them or their food (putting hand over bowl etc) while eating can actually cause resource guarding.

We def did. He has been around kids since we got him. The breeder we got him from also has 4 kids who handled the dogs from the time they were born every day. Just a side of him I have never seen before. You always hear how "good" dobies are with kids so it just really scared me and now I am super anxious whenever any kids are over.
I have found that almost all breeds are described by those who are casting them in a good light as "good with kids".

I don't want you to be anxious but I would just remember that kids, as a rule, always need to be supervised around dogs. I understand how stressful it can be. My first Doberman I did not socialize much at all. He wound up being freaked out by kids and he nipped three different kids on different occasions. He would also default to nipping any stranger if I did not take control of the situation.

Your Dobe is not being bad, and is probably not really a problem dog. I just think based on what I've read that basic precautions need to be taken involving kids. This is just the norm for me. I don't just let kids who are visiting my home do whatever or just hang around with my Dobe (not saying you do). It's just not worth it. Something could happen and we don't want that. I consider that having a Dobe is not like having a "regular" dog. It takes special considerations and protocols.

No to the petting while eating. It can have a backwards effect. I don't care how well behaved my dogs are, I myself even leave them alone when they eat and sleep! If I had to take food bowls away I 100% could and they would let me because they trust me. I don't constantly mess with them though and you shouldn't either, neither should the kids. It is not fair to the dog and potentially dangerous for kids.

Trust me, there are always signs and this likely didn't pop up out of nowhere. You have a matured dog now. If you would like, it's a great time to sharpen up those obedience skills... Get the kids involved if they are old enough. If he is allowed on furniture probably best to stop that with children around. Make it very clear to him what is his safe space and what isn't.

Medium and large dogs mature into their 2nd year.
And the males can take longer, well into their 3rd year, I found.
now I am super anxious whenever any kids are over.
Definitely don’t do that because he will pick up on your energy and become more reactive.
I consider that having a Dobe is not like having a "regular" dog.
That’s why we say, it’s not just a dog, it’s a Doberman!
If he is allowed on furniture probably best to stop that with children around.
Exactly!

Hi! our female will be 2 in January. She is more and more falling into her role as family member, companion and protector. BUT if allowed, she would often prefer the title of Queen of the house. Your pup restrained himself to just a growl. If he scared the kids, it may be a blessing in disguise, as some dogs would just bite without warning! That said, growling at children is not acceptable to me. He is becoming King. Time for him to abdicate the throne and do some work. Your kids can help educate their friends and relatives on proper behavior around dogs. No more bully sticks for a long while. Put that bed out of traffic area. Work on sit/stay when greeting someone. See what that trainer has in mind. Good luck! Bet he will be fine!

Hi! our female will be 2 in January. She is more and more falling into her role as family member, companion and protector. BUT if allowed, she would often prefer the title of Queen of the house. Your pup restrained himself to just a growl. If he scared the kids, it may be a blessing in disguise, as some dogs would just bite without warning! That said, growling at children is not acceptable to me. He is becoming King. Time for him to abdicate the throne and do some work. Your kids can help educate their friends and relatives on proper behavior around dogs. No more bully sticks for a long while. Put that bed out of traffic area. Work on sit/stay when greeting someone. See what that trainer has in mind. Good luck! Bet he will be fine!
That is my thought exactly. I get kids need to respect a dogs space, but I just did not think that was acceptable especially since they approached him in a manner that in my personal opinion was 100% fine. They didn't startle him (he was just laying in his bed not asleep), they talked to him in a calm voice, etc. His breeder who has bred Dobermans for 40 years even said she couldn't believe it. She has NEVER had any of her Dobermans respond in that way and she has 11 grandchildren who annoy the crap out of her dogs. I am glad he didn't bite but even the growl to me was unacceptable especially given the thousands invested in his training and daily training sessions we put in with him. Regarding the obedience, he is worked almost daily. He is the most well behaved dog there is. We get nothing but compliments about him and his behavior. You can leave him at home unattended with a steak on the counter and he will wait until told ok. We forgot to give him his release command after feeding him one day and couldn't figure out why he was sitting in front of his food bowl for 15 mins lol. He is trained to "place" when someone rings or knocks so he waits on his cot until we release him and allow him to go say hello... Someone recommended we deworm him. I guess her Doberman did this and they found out he had a parasite that is not generally detected in traditional fecal exams and her dog even though looked like he was "fine", had an upset stomach because he was extra gassy and his stool was a bit more soft than usual so he just wasn't feeling himself. Gonna give that a try...Thank you ALL for your advice

And the males can take longer, well into their 3rd year, I found.

Definitely don’t do that because he will pick up on your energy and become more reactive.

That’s why we say, it’s not just a dog, it’s a Doberman!

Exactly!
He is not allowed on furniture. He is VERY WELL trained. Perhaps its just a maturity thing or he just wasn't feeling himself and I was just particularly scared because he is a doberman and not just a dog. We will work on positive reinforcement with the kids and guests and hope that helps

I would be very careful punishing a growl. It's part of the dogs escalation communication. If you remove that step and ignore the ones leading up to it (reiterating what @Rits said: looking away, lip licking, whale eye, stiff body language, frozen, staring blankly), the next step is usually a bite. This is why people say a bite "came out of no where." They ignored ALL the escalation signals, have punished the growl, and do not respect the dogs space or threshold for tolerance. Sometimes, a dog will find themselves in a situation where they don't have the time to go through the whole escalation process (being woken up from sleeping abruptly) and find themselves directly in a high stress situation.

1701185360428.png

The most obedient and well trained dog will still have an escalation protocol and have different thresholds for what they will and will not allow.

Just to insert here, it may have just been a one-time thing, if he's not done it before or since. Still no reason not to be super vigilant especially with kids around. I just want to say that for whatever reason, ONE time, my housemates Dutch Shepherd had a meaty bone on the porch that she was given because we were going to be gone for a few hours. Gathered our stuff and headed to the car, past the dog and she snarled nasty as we went by, like resource guarding. She'd never done that before, ever. Was about 3 or 4 years old. And as mentioned above, no reprimand because it is her bone. Just kept walking, got in the car and left. She never did it again. Who knows? Children are a different story though, they send different vibes and they don't know how to read a dog, they can stare in amazement which the dog might take as a threat. All good advice already given, I just wanted to share the "one-time" experience.

Same here. But 7 yo.

Kaiser got a new monster bully stick for early Black Friday and he was really enjoying this brand new experience. I walked past him like I always do when he has prized possessions.

For the first time in years, I saw him freeze 😳 whale eye my feet as I walked past. Yikes. Thank goodness he’s not a cat lol. He didn’t react beyond this, but it was my first time seeing this. He’s had the monster bully since then so it seems like it was a one time thing 👍🏻 :dobe:

Kaiser got a new monster bully stick for early Black Friday and he was really enjoying this brand new experience.
I wanted to hit the laugh, but resisted... Kaiser: Holy mackerel, this is heaven, this is a pot of gold right here, the monster of all monster sticks and it's all mine, whoa they're gonna take it away already??? NOoooo.

Back