Why do they LEAN so much?

HappyJoe

Hot Topics Subscriber
Just a silly question What's with the leaning?
All dogs lean sometimes but this is ridiculous!
I wonder if there is a leaner in the breeds that were used originally to "make" a Doberman?

Ah the groans, I find those quite endearing. Mostly heard during first morning stretch here.

I'd guess they lean to feel closer, then again just a little bit closer still, lol.

The creepiest description I've heard of these velco dogs is that if a Doberman could crawl inside of your skin, it would be JUST close enough ;)

I think because they were bred to protect man, the leaning trait comes in. I'm sure leaning is comforting and releases endorphins, thus fulfilling their need to be close. Ive had Ripley lay across my lap to apply pressure therapy, all on her own. I'm sure she sensed my anxiety at the time it happened and wanted to be in my lap to comfort me and herself. I personally love the trait. Its tied to their want to be with their people and part of what makes a Doberman a Doberman!

Ah the groans, I find those quite endearing. Mostly heard during first morning stretch here.

I'd guess they lean to feel closer, then again just a little bit closer still, lol.

I hear the groans at the most "appropriate" times, like she is saying, "geeze, I'm so bored", or "I can't believe you just did/said that"...that's when company usually erupts in laughter at her antics. Haha

I hear the groans at the most "appropriate" times, like she is saying, "geeze, I'm so bored", or "I can't believe you just did/said that"...that's when company usually erupts in laughter at her antics. Haha
Yes! I love it. Java did this and it was one of the things I loved about her and she was a lab! She let you know what she was thinking through her expression of groans. Ripley is such a vocal groaner when bored or doing her obnoxious morning stretching or just being naughty. The timing is always so appropriate and puts a smile on my face. I'll take the drama groans over whining!

My take on it s they LOVE to be touched, so they are helping themselves to a generous serving of it. That, and they are securing you in place, right where they want you – the petting zone.

Not many groans in my experience. Most are minor and occur when I clean his ears.

Okay yesterday I got followed into the closet. I was scratching Joe's ears and he started leaning. I guess he thought I was inside some of the clothes he felt against his butt. I actually beside them.
He leaned so hard he fell over Bahahahaha!!
Of course he got up with a very dignified look on his face, like, "I mean to do that!"

Totally agree with all the above , we've always laughingly said the leaning is because they are lazy and saving their energy for the fun things , they will always make good use off their humans.

I think because they were bred to protect man, the leaning trait comes in.
And if you take that a step further, it may mean that they want to feel you to know where you are, as they have their eyes off of you and face the intruder.

Dobermans lean on their people, Rottweilers sit on people. :rofl:

Attachments

• 1233C589-D03D-4226-824A-5652FD4E9C36.jpeg
    1233C589-D03D-4226-824A-5652FD4E9C36.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 10
Dobermans lean on their people, Rottweilers sit on people. :rofl:
:spit: Is sitting on people a Great Dane thing too? Had the experience of having a big friendly Dane reverse up to me while I was on a park bench and manage to get one butt cheek onto my lap..............all other legs were on the ground. :lmao:

:spit: Is sitting on people a Great Dane thing too? Had the experience of having a big friendly Dane reverse up to me while I was on a park bench and manage to get one butt cheek onto my lap..............all other legs were on the ground. :lmao:
Had Great Danes when growing up, they like to sit exactly like you describe it, butt on you or on couch with four paws on the floor, lol.

Had Great Danes when growing up, they like to sit exactly like you describe it, butt on you or on couch with four paws on the floor, lol.
Rocky does this all the time. I’ll find or take a pic

Back