Whoa~! Rein 'em in here and show your horses! 2019

I'm just realizing that I never made a 2020 thread for our horses. Guess I'll wait till 2021 now. :D

For now, here's a couple more from yesterday. I had my grandson's here for a few hours and after feeding the horses they all wanted to sit up on Cheyenne while she ate. She's always so calm and respectful when someone is on her back. She was happy to oblige while she ate and all three of the kids took turns. This is the youngest and he was really enjoying it!

20201102_135143.jpg
20201102_135146(0).jpg

The dogs stalking each other while Cheyenne grazes.
20200930_074013.jpg

My boy Stilts
20201001_151411.jpg

And in the early spring when it was just one of those days after a long winter where you just want to spread out and enjoy the warm weather!
20200403_124202.jpg

@MyBuddy Forgive me if this was mentioned somewhere else. Do you ride tour horses? Or are these more companion pets?

I rode for years and loved every minute of it. I would keep riding if it wasn’t so expensive. There was only one woman in our barn who had a companion horse. He was a large white gelding. I think I only saw her on him a couple times out of my ten or so years there. He was such a great horse. Always begged for peppermints.

Forgive me if this was mentioned somewhere else. Do you ride tour horses? Or are these more companion pets?
I rode all three in the beginning. Cheyenne was the first horse we got in 2003. Sandy followed within months. Stilts about a year later. I rode Cheyenne all the time. She is my heart horse and I can do anything on her! Sandy, the Palomino was my husband's horse. He never was on a horse in his life. LOL But he wanted one and did good for a while. But slowly but surely she became my horse too. :rolleyes: Stilts was the last one. I got him at 2 and 1/2 years old. He is my boy and a really good horse. Friendly and a great ride. Those long legs make for rocking horse canter!

Sandy developed heaves several years back. It's kind of an asthma condition if you want to compare it to a human. Little by little she became unrideable as her condition worsened. Every summer she is on all kinds of meds to help her breathe. We spend a lot of money on her just to keep her comfortable and breathing! But she is our pet and I will do everything I can until she is beyond help. She's a sweetheart and like a little child in many ways. Very calm, inquisitive and was always was my horse for beginner Riders.

Just this year, Cheyenne was diagnosed with a heart murmur.:( it's so bad that I cannot ride her any longer. My vet told me it was the worst he had ever heard. I was devastated. I'm scared to death that she would drop dead at any moment. Just like DCM. But I guess as long as she's not ridden or pushed to exertion, she could be fine. I watch for any physical signs that she's under stress and so far she's been doing well. But it's just devastating that I can't ride or anymore. And this year I was going to start my oldest grandson on her. He was so looking forward to it. :(

So my only rideable horse now is Stilts. And he's really for the experienced rider. I don't feel comfortable putting the kid's on him. And he's very big. He's my tallest horse at about 16 hands and a long way to fall if they fell off. So I'm a little hesitant of putting them on him. That's a shame when the grandchildren are finally getting to an age where they can ride. My granddaughter loves riding Cheyenne! I couldn't believe how good she did on her. Cheyenne is patient and calm and would have been a great teacher for the kids. Sandy too! Oh well.

This year Cheyenne is 22 years old. Sandy is 20 and Stilts is 18.

And having this injured finger really sucks because our weather has been perfect for riding! But I don't think I can put a saddle on with his finger! If I lost the nail already I may have attempted it. LOL but I'm trying to be careful about that. Man I want to go so bad!

Poor Cheyenne. All of them are so beautiful.
Sad that loving means having hearts broken.
I started reading this thread last night/early morning when I couldn't sleep, Thank you again for sharing.
Unfortunately I never had horses, but always admired them and you who are able to just climb up and take off on one, like in the movies haha!

Hope your finger heals faster than real fast so you can go out riding very soon!

I came across this one of Zeus' sire yesterday but I can't remember if I posted it before. He was a handsome boy.
Zeus sire Mister Crystal Bar.jpg

Oh man, sorry to head about their health struggles. I can’t imagine how expensive it is to keep up on meds for such large animals. Horses are beautiful creatures. I will own a couple one day!

Well I looked for the 2020 one guess there isn’t one
Here is my new guy. Meet obsidian my new friesian stallion :) he’s 8 months old and his breeding is incredible. 9731A07F-1138-4153-AD24-685624335168.jpeg20F9777E-4AFD-438F-83AD-6C07CA0727D2.jpeg2B6E7B66-3C13-4F25-96A2-8E4B90330CF5.jpeg13E73D92-8A60-4FAD-82BA-1374DF62A122.jpeg

:congrats:
I've always admired Fresians. They are so beautiful and such graceful movers. Also I think they have a brilliant temperament as you can see when you notice how many are used in the film industry where riders may need a kind mount!

Really looking forward to seeing Obsidians progress during the coming months. :thumbsup2:

Remember early neuter works the same in horses as dogs. Better bone formation if you put off gelding until at least 2 (growth plates closed) or preferably 3 or 4. He appears to have a very bright and intelligent look but also what I call a kind eye.

Remember early neuter works the same in horses as dogs. Better bone formation if you put off gelding until at least 2 (growth plates closed) or preferably 3 or 4. He appears to have a very bright and intelligent look but also what I call a kind eye.
I don’t plan to snip him but yes I know. Ares is almost 6 and still remains intact.

Back