Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

What is a King/Warlock Doberman?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Kawhi2222, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Kawhi2222

Kawhi2222 New Member

Oh no look what I have started, thanks for all the valuable information. In my opinion to each their own, I think the concern is claiming to be something you are not for the purpose of profit. These king dobermans/warlocks are beautiful guys but not a doberman. They scary part to me about this type of breed is the short lifespan and the heartbreak that comes along with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. princethedobie

princethedobie New Member

I believe it’s a Great Dane mixed with a doberman but the kennel says it’s 100% a Doberman :confused-alt:

4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

So many look like they had Molossoid breeds bred into the lines.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Kawhi2222

Kawhi2222 New Member

I hope I am not mistaken, I read somewhere Dobermans were breed with Great Danes and Rottweilers in their origins of the breed. Could these breeders be attempting to revive the original bloodlines? I was a former breeder of "Olde English Bulldogs" not "English Bulldogs", I know that our motive was to bring the breed back to its origin that had far less medical issues. do not get me wrong I personally believe a Doberman should be medium to large and agile. I prefer the European style dobermans, but they are all beautiful!

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  7. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Dobermanns were not originally bred to be large dogs. They are classed as a medium sized dog. I guess size is in the eyes of the beholder. I have had people tell me how large my pups are. My response is always; large in relation to what a chihuahua? Then yes they would be considered large. They are within standard... well Bacall is 1/4-1/2” out of standard but Bogie is 28” at the withers.
    I think it’s more the breed itself with the way they hold themselves and their looks can be intimidating. Very proud and alert and that equates to large in some people’s eyes.
    The breeders selling giant, king, oversized or whatever they call it are not reputable breeders. The stress on their body and organs alone is great cause for concern especially with their genetic health problems, that seems to me will only be exacerbated with the extra size. IVDD, Wobblers, Hip and elbow Dysplasia, not to mention the extra stress on the heart.
    We have Dobermans in the practice that are overweight, not necessarily oversized in height but definitely overweight. These owners think it makes them more intimidating and powerful. Intimidating maybe but definitely not more powerful.
    I think a Doberman’s power comes from speed, agility and their ability to give a strong double bite. An overweight Dobe cannot effectively move like a lean and agile Doberman.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

Very informative thank you.

9. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

I would be very wary. Size is way to large, color is missing. Where is the butterfly? Stick with our American breed standard. That must be some type of mix, actually looks like a new breed of some sort. Letmeknow, I have not done research.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kawhi2222

Kawhi2222 New Member

I agree I like the aspect of them being very agile. I’m a first time owner so what would be considered to heavy for a male?

11. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You have to look at the whole dog. Is the bone structure heavy, is the dobe really muscled up, is the dog overweight. It depends on genetics, exercise regimen, feeding etc.
    if they are within standard 28” for males and have heavy bone structure like a lot of Euros do and some American bred, I think anything over 90-95lbs is too much. No offense to any members that have a solid 100+lbs Dobie.
    My first boy back in the 70’s was a Euro and average for him was 90 to 94lbs. He did get up to 105lbs at one point when I had to let my Dad care for him for a month while I was on an overseas job. My Dad over fed him and gave him table scraps on top of that and treats so needless to say I was livid when I saw my beautiful lean boy as a blimp. Also he did not get the exercise that I gave because Dad had an injured leg and couldn’t walk him very often or take him to run and swim.
    My male Bogie is normally between 79-82lbs but has gone up to 84.5 which I think makes him look too chunky.
    You just have to look at the dogs and judge for yourself. You should be able to see a waist, a nice tuck up and be able to easily palpate the ribs and even see the last rib when they are working or laying down. I like them lean and muscled.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I think when you start getting above 95-100lbs. They are getting to big. Speed and agility will suffer, so do there joints and hips. I like my dogs to be between 75-85lbs. Anything over that I see them being slower and speed is important in my sport.

13. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Not Great Danes. Rottweilers, German Pinschers, Black & Tan Terriers - no exact formula is known, but on this forum you will find a pinned history, or you can google it. But no Great Danes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

New to the site and thrilled to see the breadth of information the owners have on the breed and the willingness to BLOW this "myth" up!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I say you are very correct on this.

Take my current boy, Oji. Yes he is 28" tall but owing to his unusually narrow chest, and a head that is rather small, he is only about 70 lbs. Yes, he has nice cropped ears and a long neck that make him look even taller, but he really is just a not too big dog. Every time my wife sees another Doberman around, she describes it as bigger.

Despite this, I hear so many comments from people who see us on the street: "That's a big dog!"

It's about body carriage – extremely alert with head up high, very intense. It's about presence.

I once knew a guy and we rode Harley's together a few times. He once said something like "Five Harleys together look like a dozen." Seems to me something impressive can initially look like more than it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Bingo.

I am just so glad to see topic here and being addressed in a manner that anyone searching for the "warlock" term can get some solid info about the subject.

• Like Like x 2