Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Those with a 9-5 job, how do you leave your dogs?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by ArdynBane, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ha! Not really. I pepper in some obedience throughout most days. Hate to make y'all jealous, but I do precious little with my Dobe compared to most of you. He's a high-energy working Euro Doberman but I have just gotten him accustomed early on to accept his nice lovely life in our home without me jumping through hoops.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Training is also play, if you are not playing with your dog at least 80% of the time in the beginning, you will not teach proper focus and engagement. Then when your training becomes extended, as your dog gets older, the attention to the handler will decrease and the dog will start to check out. Everyone wants to get the end results fast but skip the real learning process. This will result in continuously retraining and fixing problems. Ivan said this in a seminar, “my dog comes outside on the field with me expecting to playing. We go out on the field wanting to train or work. There must be a balance to work as a team. Start with more play in your training. Eventually build to less play and more work. Then change it up randomly each time so sometimes more play, sometimes more work. Your dog will give much more focus and drive to the training.”
    Blaze after our training last week. Frothy yes!!!
    257A0781-1B04-45F3-AE41-32D9F35BAB18.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wanted to hit funny and agree too. That's some complex froth going on lol! So agree with the bold text. I used to not play with Kaiser and it helps to explain how checked out he was in rally class with me. He started to show interest only once I brought his tug into the picture.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

I got some good news!

My friend said she would be willing to come Monday-Thursday to take Bane out for a smaller fee, so that helps a lot. Fridays she isn't available, but that's only 1 day of the week he would be alone for 9 hours (1 hour for commute).

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That is awesome news!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. C908

C908 Member

That's great ! Maybe something will work out for Friday. Please keep us informed on how it's going.

7. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

Im not sure if they have apps like rover or wag where you are but we had to go with a dog Walker who we pay $15 to take our pup on a 30 minute walk in the middle of the day. It would be nice if you could find someone close that could do that for one day a week too. Good luck!!

8. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Super Update:

I thought I would give you all an update on what's been going on! I am so happy to share everything has become so positive.

1. I got a car, which means: IPO assessment!! BANE KILLED HIS ASSESSMENT! I am super proud of how he did and the trainer was very pleased as well. I found a club I really like and the members have been super supportive too. We start IPO training on next Sunday!

2. I start my new job tomorrow which is exciting - bigger salary than what I was working before, so I'll finally have my life back!

My only question is I'll be working 9 hour shifts for training reasons. I have a 1 hour break, which I can do a quick pop in and out to see Bane. Only issue is, we are still working on his separation anxiety.

He is doing much better with crate, I just haven't got to the point where I feel comfortable leaving him unattended for 4 hours. Especially since tomorrow I start my new job, I won't be able to have my phone on me in case I get a notification of his crazy barking.

He howls and whines the storm down when I leave him in general - so loud my Furbo says "your dog is barking" lol. He has been muzzle (Some have suggested this as temporary) and he is quiet and calm when muzzled, sleeps when I am gone. I just don't feel it is right to muzzle him for 9 hours a day, 5 days of the week? It feels cruel... But I don't know how to leave him without getting in sh*t from my neighbours.

He destroys my home if he isn't muzzled. It's odd, when he is muzzled, he is calm and sleeps. Yes, I have tried CBD oil (I got good quality one), and he still has a fit when not muzzled. I can't put him in a room as it is a rental.

He has a Kong to work on, but only lasts him 40 minutes or so (frozen).

I'll be moving into my friend's house in May and I'll have my own unit. She doesn't care about his whining and barking, so that's when I'll be able to do proper crate training, leaving my home, etc.

I'm just not sure on how to leave him home in mean time till then? I feel it's cruel to muzzle him 9 hours a day, 5 days of the week... Doesn't feel right. Yet, I'll get evicted if I get one more noise complaint from the barking/whining, and he destroys my home and property when unmuzzled. A daycare or walker would cost me $400 a month...

• Like Like x 2
  9. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

I do want to get a good quality bark collar, but I just need to get some paycheques rolling in from my new job before that happens!

10. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

He's doing great and so are you! :thumbsup:

Difficult one with the 9hr shifts. I don't suppose you could find a nice foster family for him to spend his days with until May? It's a long shot and you would need to have a situation that was up to handling a Dobe. Maybe your contacts in the IPO club might be able to suggest something.

I thought at first that you said he had "KILLED HIS ASSISTANT!" :spit:

• Funny Funny x 2