Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Those with a 9-5 job, how do you leave your dogs?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by ArdynBane, Jan 9, 2019.

1. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

*If this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move it!

I've posted a few times about Bane's behavioural issues with separation anxiety and impossible to crate. I recently got a new job and it's a classic 9-5 job, weekends off. With my current job, I have an hour break so I'm able to stop by my home to let Bane out in between. Unfortunately with my new job, Ill only have a half hour break, which won't be possible for me to stop by home to let him out.

How do you guys leave your dogs for an 8 hour shift?

Here are my concerns with Bane (He came from a horrid "Greeder")

-He absolutely cannot be crated. I have tried but he came with crate trauma as something likely happened while he was being imported (Had a layover). He has escaped several times, hurt himself, and destroyed my property numerous times as well. He can't be in a pen, I can't afford those Impact/Gunner crates right now (Really tight on money atm, but this job over time will help substantially)
    -I can't afford a sitter or daycare 5 days of the week, it'll cost me minimum $500 a month which I can't do with the debts I have to pay off already.
    -I know he will need boot camp training for his crate anxiety, as he cannot be trusted out of crate for long periods of time. Not to mention with his separation anxiety, but I am trying hard to save up to provide such training.
    -My friends work 9-5 jobs too, so they won't be able to stop by... Let alone coming by every day (I don't think any of my friends would like that lol)
    -I can't leave him in a room because he will scratch the door, cry, bark, etc and I'm in a rental and neighbours are getting tired of his noise

He is okay for 4-5 hours (After crying and howling for an hour), but any longer than that it is utter chaos!

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. C908

C908 Member

You are in a tough spot and I'm afraid I don't have a good answer but I will share my thoughts. It looks like you are in Canada so you have weather to deal with along with everything else. To make matters more difficult it sounds like you are living in a rental which limits what you can do. So if you are unable to leave the dog outside with proper shelter my only thought is this. I would check with local shelters or rescues and see if there are any volunteers that could possibly walk the dog during the middle part of the day. I know this is a stretch but sometimes it is amazing to see what one animal lover will do to help out another animal lover that is in need. You will have to come up with a safe place for the dog to be during the day. My experience has always been that a large kennel is the safest option. He may hate it but your options are limited, you really need somebody to help you. I'm sorry, wish I had a better answer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
  3. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I leave the house at 6am and don’t get home till 430pm. My fiancé leaves at 8am and gets back at 6pm. He is crated from 8am-1pm. A person I pay comes over and let’s him out for 15 minutes and he goes to the bathroom and such. Then back in the crate till I get home. This is Monday-Friday. Luckily my fiancé is being transferred to a court house down the street from our home so her hour commute turns into a 5 minute commute. So he’ll be in his crate less and she gets a 90-120 minute lunch and will come home to break him which will save me money.

My advice for you is this, finance the impact high anxiety crate and start working on his crate training. Not tackling it and coddling him will only make it more difficult down the road. Idk how old he is, but I’d look into someone you can pay to come over and let him potty. I pay 15 dollars a day for this.

You’ll probably end up spending more money In the long run if you don’t (from house damage or vet bills).

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I crate my girls when I leave for work at 8:30 am. Ares stays out as he isn’t destructive by any means. Deegan my little guy also stays out (he’s 9 and doesn’t do much)
    During tax season I am full time and don’t get home till six so I use my lunch break to make sure everyone goes potty and is able to stretch their legs.
    If I couldn’t do that I would ask my neighbor or a family member to please come and take my dogs out.
    I agreed you need to get the crate training under control and you can start with crate games while you’re at home. Toss a treat in the crate let him get it and don’t close the door, eventually close the door for a few seconds and let him out. Then get him to where you’re closing the door for a min, then to where you have it closed and leave the room, then where you close it and go outside. All that will get him to the point of crate is a happy place not a bad place. While he’s in the crate walk by and give him a treat with him in there. I would also start feeding him in his crate. Then he will associate crate with food and food is always good :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Salicious

Salicious New Member

I agree that you are certainly in a tough spot. I can share some thoughts regarding crate training... I understand that your pup has some anxiety or crate trauma. It is not an easy thing to deal with. I would begin working with your dog on a daily basis for crate training. When we first brought our pup home, he had some pretty bad crate anxiety. He would cry and yelp all night. We started training him to love his crate by essentially feeding him around it at first and later moving on to feeding him in it. This is also before we transitioned to a strict "no free meals" policy with him to tighten up his behavior and command responses. We started by getting him to interact with us around the crate and we would even go as far as to toss his reward into the crate. Then we worked up to commands and rewarding him inside the crate. After that, we moved on to feeding him his entire meal in his crate and locking it while he ate. Eventually, we would say, "go to your crate", and he runs to his spot and sit waiting for a treat or a bite of his food. Food is obviously the best way to get your pup to associate the crate with a positive feeling.

However, with a 9-5 scenario... that one is a bit tougher... I have the luxury of having my own business, so Jax is with me pretty much every day during the "9-5" period. But at the same time, if I do leave him at home, he's fine for up to 4 hours (in his crate) and much longer if we pen him. I would recommend a doggie day care perhaps or a dog walking service if you can't make it home in time. Maybe see if you have a friend or something in the area that can come one or two days a week and get a walker to do the rest. Or like the person before me said, see if there are volunteers in your area that can do it for you.

Another thing you can do is get up an hour or two earlier and spend more time with the pup before you leave for the day. Maybe try and play with him and really tire him out before you leave. That way, most of the first few hours, he'll be sleeping instead of whining.

I wish I could be more help. I wish you and your pup lots of luck!

6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

that's tough!

Could you do doggy daycare once a week? that is usually good for tiring them out for a day or two afterwards. There are places around here that have discounted Tuesdays and such. Are there wag.com equivalents in Canada? You pay someone a few bucks to walk your dog and they track it all through an app and blah blah blah.

Making sure you keep him physically and mentally active in the evenings will help, too.

7. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I read about your greeder situation. Are the other owners with her dogs behaving the same way? You have mentioned time and again that he has behavioral issues, what are they? The crate is not behavioral its training. I ask because they can seem totally crazy to others and even their owners, but usually that's just a normal Doberman puppy :spit: I realize he's physically big but they aren't considered adults until 2 yrs old.

The separation anxiety - I know the CBD oil worked out fantastically for you regarding the whining. Surely there are other signs of the oil working? Does he seem less tense?

What exercise is he getting? A common problem with a poorly behaved dog is that they aren't getting enough physical and mental stimulation. Gotta offer him both so that he is prepared for crate time success.

8. C908

C908 Member

9. C908

C908 Member

I might add one thing in addition to the CBD oil another possibility is generic Prozac. I had a vet tell me it is cheap with very little side effects and a good way to take the edge off. I have never tried it on any of my dobies, it was just suggested by a vet I have dealt with.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dawg 1419

Dawg 1419 Hot Topics Subscriber

Dog daycare here is $20 per day. Discounts with multiple days purchased. I can get it down to $12. We are about to give it a shot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mshipway

mshipway New Member

In Canada- Rover is an app that may help you.
    I would recommend starting by having the crate up in an area that Bane will frequent. Once he get's comfortable with this, throw a toy in or some treats let him at his pace go in and explore it. You really need to take it slow. Scary crate-- good food or awesome toy... associate the bad scary crate with something good. Then once he will even go in start feeding him in there at least one meal a day. Take small steps try to teach him how good the crate is, and for the first bit never force it or close the door on him.
    Just my opinion and what worked from Argo's puppy school.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

With a dog who does not have especially bad behavioral problems, they can be crated for 9 hours or so. I read this in a book years ago. I have put it into practice myself with my Doberman (not this current one yet).

When I worked 12 hour shifts, thankfully I had a Dobe that was trustworthy left loose in my apartment, or in my vehicle at work where I could visit him on breaks and lunch.

You are facing a tough one though, with your Dobe's extreme aversion to crating.

I do dog walking, but I am far away from you. Personally, I would not want a stranger to come to my home and let themselves in and take control of my Doberman. This runs counter to his being a guard dog. What is particularly amazing to me is that people use these apps that literally may have a different person come to their house each time.

My best suggestion (and it's kind of expensive) is to get one of those serious crates a dog can't break out of, and also to get a very high quality muzzle and have it on them in the crate so he doesn't break his teeth. Must make sure he can breathe suitably in the muzzle even if barking for long periods. If you don't live in a single-family building then his barking will be a problem though.

Boy, tough one! I do not envy you on this!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

So I have had Bane for almost 7 months, here is what he does when he is in crate... Mind you, he came like this and I have done absolutely everything I can thin of:
    -He absolutely refuses to go into the crate he was shipped in, so I had a wire crate
    -He will bark nonstop in the crate for hours on end when I leave. If I'm gone for 4-5 hours, he is barking non-stop for the entire 5 hours. My neighbours have complained several times, and I am borderline eviction.
    -Yes, I have tried a bark collar. It did not stop him.
    -I do feed him in crate, he would rather starve some days but eats after some tough love.
    -I always leave crate open for him, he isn't allowed on my bed or anything. The crate is his only "comfy" spot. He would rather lay on the cold hard wood flooring than go in there.
    -He is in there over night as I sleep and is fine. Moment I am gone, he is insane.
    -He has escaped his wire crate many times, injured himself, and he destroyed his wire crate at this point. Like literally tore off bars and his head was popping out!
    -He has a Kong and chew toy in the crate while I am gone, and he ONLY gets it when I am gone
    -He is well exercised prior to leaving. Including training, walks, and a good little run!
    -He will escape a pen lol

I can't afford the Impact crates right now, but I know that is the next step! I have tried absolutely everything I can think of. He just "shuts down" moment he is in crate, especially when I leave. I can't just let him "bark it out" because he barked well into 4AM and my neighbours almost murdered me. I can't lose my home because of this.

Again, he came like this moment I got him.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 4
  14. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I guess I have another possible idea: Can you safely contain him in a room of the house where he won't have things to destroy (unless he destroys the walls and baseboards and such). If he were going to be prone to yanking at the baby gate (and I suppose it would have to be a military-grade baby gate if he were) then that might require a muzzle on him. Completely baby proof the room though. I'm thinking a bathroom or laundry room or mud room. Hmm.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

He will scratch at my door, whining, howling, etc. There's already marks on my main entrance door, so I have to put a pen right as I leave against my door so he can't scratch at it. I'm honestly thinking of putting a basket muzzle on him until I settle with my new job and send him off to boot camp for it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

The physical exercise sounds great!

What kind of training?

17. mshipway

mshipway New Member

O.k. sounds like you are doing your best. I would try to do your best for a few weeks and be very frugal with your spending, then try to find an Expert with great reviews. I under estimated what you have tried, but yest sounds like a safety hazard to the dog more so to leave them in the crate than not.

18. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Sounds like separation anxiety not a crate training problem. You can fix it but it will take a lot of patience and training on your part.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I agree with the others that for the short term and for financial reasons, get a muzzle for him and leave him in a small safe room. Ordinarily I would not go the route of something like Prozac, but just to get you settled in at work and help you buy some time (as well as keep a roof over your head!), the combo of these things might be the only answer for now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

We use these kennels because my dogs can chew the wires off the wire crates and with just break the plastic kennels to get out. They run around $200-$300 dollars.
    75F26100-0781-40E5-9686-28F6C0A54EE2.jpeg A7FBD63E-E72C-43C2-803E-97C873A7F4BD.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow x 1