Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Those with a 9-5 job, how do you leave your dogs?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by ArdynBane, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

And it's on wheels? I love the idea of this! Perfect for transporting a Dober beast from room to room.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Clary

Clary Jr Member

3. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

This is a replica of my bird cages except my cages stand 5’ 8”.
    Trust me they are sturdy!

4. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Wow that looks great and I can definitely fit that in my budget. What is the brand?

• Like Like x 1
  5. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Thank you all, I am certainly doing the absolute best I can right now...

As for training, I do hope to do IPO with him in near future. Because I can't be part of a club right now, I am working on obedience with my trainer who is a former competitor in Schutzhund and the French Ring. Our training consists of heel work, attention, retrieval, and random sits/downs. It always gets mixed up though. I still do training with him even when on our walk. I use a tug so he does tug, have some fun, "Ouse" command, etc. I spend so much time on this dog, it's amazes he just never seems satisfied!

I did use a basket muzzle recently (I know, not ideal but I gotta do something!) and he escaped somehow? I guess I'll have to buy another one until I'm able to do proper training on him where other neighbours can't complain.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

There is a trainer whom I have in mind for the separation anxiety/boot camp, but it will be a 2-3 week boarding and it will be a couple grand, which I have to save up for.

7. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Wow, I feel for you.

I don’t have anything to add except for I think you are doing the best you can.

If something needs to be done now, I like the idea of CBD Oil or doggie Prozac to calm his nerves and even use when you figure out the crate situation.

Will be following this and Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Clary

Clary Jr Member

Sorry my hubby just said Google Leerburg lots of free very good advice x im actually reading for my new 8wk old pup )

9. C908

C908 Member

Is there any way you can negotiate a longer lunch ? It would be worth a try, who knows maybe your boss is an animal lover.

• Like Like x 3
  10. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

I'm not really comfortable trying to negotiate a longer lunch just yet, especially since I am new in the position I was offered. Don't want to have a poor impression or anything! Maybe once I have been there for awhile and got a better gist of the environment.

I have tried CBD oil. I got the high quality one too - it helps in the house, but not when I leave lol. I have literally tried everything!! It's very frustrating, especially when I haven't struggled this much since I was 17.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  11. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Negotiate bringing him to work?

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  12. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

That won't be possible as he excessively whines non-stop. I got kicked out of Obedience class because of it, friends don't welcome him anymore, etc because he whines so loudly.

13. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

He is honestly the most troublesome dog I have ever raised. He is half of my stress right now lol

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  14. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

To be honest, I feel like you may be over your head. Have you considered taking out a small personal loan to pay for a board and train? I know you said you’re saying up but it’s somewhat of an urgency I’d think.

15. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

I had to take a large loan for lawyer fees, which is why I'm so strapped on cash. I had a legal dispute in November of 2018, so I am recovering. It's why I am struggling so much...

• Empathetic Empathetic x 4
  16. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Have you tried Sileo? You can get it from the vet. It’s something you could use as you are trying to get him comfortable with crate training. It may help with that transition.

17. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I don’t remember what brand i have. I have purchased them all at different times 2 of the 4 we have are identical the other two are a little different but all still function the same. I just typed in Heavy duty dog kennel on Amazon. We have the 42” long kennels

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I like all the other training class work that you’re doing, but just to be sure, are you doing enough mental training daily, like out of class? Or are the classes daily? It’s great that you’re incorporating some into your walk, but what about rapid fire commands inside the house. Make a list of all the tricks that he knows and go through it all quickly in your house, do this for 10 minutes, what’s the result? Does he pant, does it take the edge off him? Does he want more? If so, add another 5 minutes, stop and observe. Does he lay down at all? Yes, they can keep going for a while, but if by 30 mins he’s not getting a glazed over look in his eyes, then ya, I’m all out of ideas :scratch: That’s a scary thought for me because I know how crazy a crazy Euro can be when their brains aren’t drained :shock:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Interesting idea! I must admit I have never thought of training/obedience that is relatively non-physical causing a dog to pant. Are you saying the mental drain causes a dog to appear physically taxed? I do know I have read here on DCF where members say that mental training tire a Dobe more than physical. Intriguing. I guess it's been many years since I have had extended training sessions with a Doberman, as I believe they need brief sessions with not much repetition. I understand, though, that you are talking about running through a variety of commands and behaviors.

20. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

We go pretty quick and it's repetitive but there are a good number of commands we can run through. Like he can't predict what comes next, actually when he does, I change it up. I too have heard it is good to avoid too much repetition when teaching something new so as to avoid frustration during the learning process, but I don't find that applies to Kaiser/Dobermans.

Froth and focus...in an unfocused image :D
    image.jpeg

Wait, so you don't do any of this?

• Like Like x 2