The before & after: Company coming

Hackles (and growling) are said to be a sign of stress, usually in a bad way, usually in fear biters and dogs that back up when barking. I've never been happy about the hackles because I was afraid she was more stressed than she should be and in more fear than defense. This is another area where I realize not every rule in the book is concrete. She's done this since she was just a few months old. I think this is just a thing with Asha. She is absolutely fearless and very forward when she hairs up & growls.
Maybe this is more for other dog breeds. My cattle dog cross was a good watch dog but the hackles came up when she was anxious. Not the same thing at all with Jazz. Jazz is forward and confident and the hackles come up when she is alerting to something. On the occasions when we have had an aggressive dog trying to attack her she doesn't hackle up or growl but tries to be non combative. She will try to stand in front of me and will do the big bark, but no hackles at all.

Maybe this is more for other dog breeds. My cattle dog cross was a good watch dog but the hackles came up when she was anxious. Not the same thing at all with Jazz. Jazz is forward and confident and the hackles come up when she is alerting to something. On the occasions when we have had an aggressive dog trying to attack her she doesn't hackle up or growl but tries to be non combative. She will try to stand in front of me and will do the big bark, but no hackles at all.
Mine never hackles up at dogs, I think that's a whole different ballgame. I also think Jazz is in this ballpark of discussion about prey & defense, because I know she can defiantly be an alert protection type! Interesting note, because if it's an unknown thing (out of sight but knows something is up) Asha will hair-up. If it turns out to be a dog, the hackles go down, but alertness stays. Coyote, that's nothing like dog. She hates a coyote more than anything. Hackles, growls, barks the whole works. But you are right, and I'll pay close attention, I don't think I've seen hackles if she's worried about a dog. Hmmm.

Your guys dogs sound just like Stassi. She will be 9 months in a few days. Your description of your dogs with guests I would think you talking about her. Sheā€™s good out in public like at Loweā€™s. But out in the parking lot if someone tryā€™s to interact more one on one she is not having it. Why do you think that makes a difference?
And I have a couple of scenarios to run by you. About whether this is fear or not?

At work someone walked in off the road and was looking for directions. She had her ecollar on. She confronted him barking. I walked over there put her in a heel. She stayed for a few seconds but wouldnā€™t settle and started carrying on again. So she followed me over to my truck and I put her in her crate. As I was back talking to the guy she was going crazy in her crate. Not usual for her. She then broke the door off the crate and got out. And came back at the guy.
Scenario 2
My pool guy was at the house the other day we were inside. She alerted that someone was in the backyard. I got up saw it was him. I told her to leave it and she stopped. I then went back to the living room away from her and the door. She was very calmly sitting down by the door ringing her door bell to be let out.

So in these two scenarios if she was reacting out of fear. Like most people would state. Why when she is clearly removed from her perceived threat would she want to engage with it?
Your dog is still very young, what you describe to me sounds like confidence. You need to just be more assertive in being in control in those situations. That acting out should not be allowed. I train my dogs to ignore people and other dogs. People can come up and talk to me and my dogs will stay in a sit or down which ever command I give them to cap there behavior and let them know to wait for another command or to get a reward. I do not let strangers touch or pet my dog. If they ask I say no, my dog might bite you. That is usually enough of a deterrent. But they are under control at all times. Keep training being in control, let them know youā€™ve got this snd they will settle in.

Your dog is still very young, what you describe to me sounds like confidence. You need to just be more assertive in being in control in those situations. That acting out should not be allowed. I train my dogs to ignore people and other dogs. People can come up and talk to me and my dogs will stay in a sit or down which ever command I give them to cap there behavior and let them know to wait for another command or to get a reward. I do not let strangers touch or pet my dog. If they ask I say no, my dog might bite you. That is usually enough of a deterrent. But they are under control at all times. Keep training being in control, let them know youā€™ve got this snd they will settle in.
When someone approaches us I put her in a sit or a down. If she acts out I correct her. But she will ā€œbuild upā€ and sometimes bark again. I correct her. Mark and praise her for the desired behavior. Rinse and repeat. One thing Iā€™ve noticed. With a prong collar correction under those circumstances it will elevate her. The ecollar seems to work better. If that makes sense? I wonder what she would have turned out like with the average pet owner. I imagine she could have got out of hand very quickly.

When someone approaches us I put her in a sit or a down. If she acts out I correct her. But she will ā€œbuild upā€ and sometimes bark again. I correct her. Mark and praise her for the desired behavior. Rinse and repeat. One thing Iā€™ve noticed. With a prong collar correction under those circumstances it will elevate her. The ecollar seems to work better. If that makes sense? I wonder what she would have turned out like with the average pet owner. I imagine she could have got out of hand very quickly.
Yes it makes sense, prong can sometimes create more of a problem. Sometimes the ecollar will do that as well depending on the dog. I teach it in a controlled Situation asking random people to approach so I can give the picture if what I want. Hard to do in a public setting. Ignoring someone walking by will get me to produce a ball or tug to play. I am more important than a stranger, strangers have nothing for them. That is why no touching or petting.

Yes it makes sense, prong can sometimes create more of a problem. Sometimes the ecollar will do that as well depending on the dog. I teach it in a controlled Situation asking random people to approach so I can give the picture if what I want. Hard to do in a public setting. Ignoring someone walking by will get me to produce a ball or tug to play. I am more important than a stranger, strangers have nothing for them. That is why no touching or petting.
Your socialization protocol has been the same as mine. Iā€™m just working on doing the reps. I have noticed she doesnā€™t like people that stare at her. We were on a walk and stopped and talked to a lady. The woman was barely focused on me she just kept staring at me dog. She told me she is afraid of dogs. But continued staring at her. I mentioned some dogs donā€™t like being stared at. It didnā€™t seem to sink in with her.

Back