• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Well - an update and I think it is good news! Our new male is walking normally today, tail wagging, bright eyed and engaged (although right now he is zonked out under his favorite "security" bush). My husband and I were able to conclude that his submissive behavior was really due to pain. He showed classic signs of pain, looking away, eyes looking anxious, not responding to treats or food, difficulty getting up and laying down, and when standing, back legs close together, hind quarters swaying a little and leaning slightly on his back left (we were worried it might be hip dysplasia). Five days ago, he was in a cramped spot and turned suddenly and yelped twice in 2 minutes. We think his hip joint may have loosened or fallen out of socket (similar to dysplasia) and now it seems to have corrected itself later this morning after all that time (we had forgotten about the yelp incident). We treated him this morning with an aspirin (was able to get it in by wrapping it in cheese), some horse liniment on his hips and a hot water bottle on his right hip for about 15 minutes (used just an aspirin yesterday with good results). Since then, he has been all good, interested, eating and like the dog we adopted on the first day. Crossing fingers that tomorrow is also a good day and that he does not revert back to the submissive like behavior but think the problem may be done. Our previous doberman would go through this once or twice a year.

How long have you had them?

I'd probably start with a visit to a vet for a check up.
Dogs do weird things when they don't feel well.
As it happens, what you are describing about self isolation is exactly to a T the way Rocky my boy acted when he got sick within a couple of months of coming home.
Love that barking trio you included - ha ha! :D

Update on my two rescued dobies - once thought submissive. After about 3 weeks, they act like they have been with us forever! They are doing great but the male, Trooper, does seem to have a little confidence problem now and then. I think he lets the female, Sadie, wear the pants!! They have "taken charge" of their acre yard and have developed into a routine - eat, sleep, beg for treats, chase "invaders" (mostly squirrels and distant sounds), snooze, mooch some more, and walk the fence line (in case there are more "invaders") They soak up all the kisses and hugs we give them and are very sociable to our occasional visitors, dispelling the mythic "unpredictable" dobie behavior for most of them. Life is good!

Attachments

• got it covered.JPG
    got it covered.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 26
  • got it covered there too.JPG
    got it covered there too.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 26
Update on my two rescued dobies - once thought submissive. After about 3 weeks, they act like they have been with us forever! They are doing great but the male, Trooper, does seem to have a little confidence problem now and then. I think he lets the female, Sadie, wear the pants!! They have "taken charge" of their acre yard and have developed into a routine - eat, sleep, beg for treats, chase "invaders" (mostly squirrels and distant sounds), snooze, mooch some more, and walk the fence line (in case there are more "invaders") They soak up all the kisses and hugs we give them and are very sociable to our occasional visitors, dispelling the mythic "unpredictable" dobie behavior for most of them. Life is good!
That is such wonderful news!!

Loving the captioned photos. They are gorgeous dobes.
I've not owned a female (hope to sometime soon!) but I always hear about them 'being the boss!' - can't beat a feisty female ;)

This is our first female and we are so enchanted by her. She is very gentle, calm and loving but very alert to noises and will often stand at guard checking the back yard for "invaders' while Trooper rests. Although she seems to be the boss setting the "tone", the pair are a team. It's funny to watch when a motorcycle or a big truck goes by as those really set them off - Sadie leaps into action, running from one end of the acre yard to the other almost like a greyhound, followed by Trooper and if Trooper gets ahead of her, she turns and nips him lightly on the nose as if to say "back off'!! Then they run together, barking at the noises until they are gone. Once they reach the end of the fence line, Trooper will stand back about 5 feet while Sadie very alert and right at the fence, keeps checking in case the "offenders" come back. It is very entertaining to watch! It's almost as if she is the Queen and the "prince" has to keep three paces back out of tradition and respect! Today, they stood and did team howls at an ambulance that went by - ha ha!!

Back