• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Starting raw!

HakuTheDoberman

Notable member
helloooo everybody so an exciting time is coming for us. We have almost hit the end of our dog food and will be making the switch to raw ( will be doing it cold turkey lol ) I’ve done a lot of research and printed off a lot of charts I now have hanging on my fridge lol and making an excel spread sheet :p

I wanted to ask if you guys have any products you recommend. Like good things to add on top of the main ingredients (like bone broth, oils, powders, that kinda stuff)

I’m very excited for this as it makes me happy to know exactly what is going into my dogs meals/ seeing him super happy to have his meals. It’s a good time for this to happen because I think he’s just starting to get bored with his dry kibble!

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Attachments

• E3C494ED-EA39-4AC3-8016-F7D2FBD3C147.jpeg
    E3C494ED-EA39-4AC3-8016-F7D2FBD3C147.jpeg
    706 KB · Views: 46
  • B84D937D-A88A-43AF-BA18-4EBF841F87D9.jpeg
    B84D937D-A88A-43AF-BA18-4EBF841F87D9.jpeg
    773.6 KB · Views: 44
Following along for future reference! Your boy looks all grown up now! What just 5 or 6 months?

Following along for future reference! Your boy looks all grown up now! What just 5 or 6 months?

Turned 6 months two days ago!:)

I’ve done some looking around and I’ve read these couple things are good too add

-chia seeds
-eggs shells
-fruits and veggies
-turmeric
-ginger paste
-coconut oil
-pumpkin purée
-cottage cheese

I don’t know that I’d give pumpkin just casually. I used to give it for diarrhea. I’d cancel the chia seeds too knowing that plant proteins have been problematic. I like the chart!

Until they clear up the debate about diet related DCM, I figured I’d stick to animal proteins as much as possible. I used to give chia mixed in with banana Kongs but I stopped banana too. It is considered high glycemic. It really depends on how far you want to go with this diet. Have you checked the raw feeding group on fb?

Until they clear up the debate about diet related DCM, I figured I’d stick to animal proteins as much as possible. I used to give chia mixed in with banana Kongs but I stopped banana too. It is considered high glycemic. It really depends on how far you want to go with this diet. Have you checked the raw feeding group on fb?

No but I’ll check it out thanks! :) and yes this seems like forever ongoing debate is rather annoying. Are some grains ok to add like quick oats do you think?

No but I’ll check it out thanks! :) and yes this seems like forever ongoing debate is rather annoying. Are some grains ok to add like quick oats do you think?
I used to give him oatmeal blueberry Kongs and he didn’t care much for the oatmeal plus it was messy, so that ones up to you. I know that corn and soy are to be avoided.

From time to time I add in the odd egg, spoon of oil (Cod liver), tin of pilchards, chia seeds, blueberries, ACV & spoon of natural yogurt.
Great chart! :thumbsup2:

Just remember turmeric has blood thinning properties. Keep the dose on the low end of the dosage. If your dog is going to have surgery, make sure to stop in 10-14 days before surgery. If a need for emergency surgery arises, make sure the Vet knows about the turmeric.

Just remember turmeric has blood thinning properties. Keep the dose on the low end of the dosage. If your dog is going to have surgery, make sure to stop in 10-14 days before surgery. If a need for emergency surgery arises, make sure the Vet knows about the turmeric.

Thanks I’ll only add it once every now and then and not daily ! Thanks for letting me know

From time to time I add in the odd egg, spoon of oil (Cod liver), tin of pilchards, chia seeds, blueberries, ACV & spoon of natural yogurt.
Great chart! :thumbsup2:

Yes just added a egg for his breakfast today with our fish oil! I thinks it’s cod too lol here’s a picture of his first and second meal he’s loving it.

Still learning tho lol a lot to take in and I’m sure I’m making some mistakes but it’s a process that’s for sure :p

Attachments

• 1F52EED5-39E4-4A93-87FB-B5ED81FFD0E5.jpeg
    1F52EED5-39E4-4A93-87FB-B5ED81FFD0E5.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 34
  • D01D9AD5-76DA-471B-BD03-91278175F710.jpeg
    D01D9AD5-76DA-471B-BD03-91278175F710.jpeg
    566.9 KB · Views: 32
Thanks I’ll only add it once every now and then and not daily ! Thanks for letting me know

The benefits still out weigh the negative affects, just be aware and of course make your Vet aware. I think the safe dosage is 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon per 10 lbs of dog weight.

Still learning tho lol a lot to take in and I’m sure I’m making some mistakes but it’s a process that’s for sure

It can be overwhelming for sure. Do you have a holistic vet near you? They can be very helpful and supportive during the process. Not to mention very knowledgeable on raw feeding and supplements. The supplements can get complicated. You need to add things to some supplements to get the full benefits (EX: black pepper enhances the bioavailabilty of turmeric) as well the combo of some can be detrimental. Always nice to have an expert to guide you. ;)

It can be overwhelming for sure. Do you have a holistic vet near you? They can be very helpful and supportive during the process. Not to mention very knowledgeable on raw feeding and supplements. The supplements can get complicated. You need to add things to some supplements to get the full benefits (EX: black pepper enhances the bioavailabilty of turmeric) as well the combo of some can be detrimental. Always nice to have an expert to guide you. ;)

Hmmm I don’t think so but I’ll take a look around and search about one!

I continued to feed what my breeder was feeding. The honest kitchen brand grain free fruit and veggie base mix. For the raw its Northwestern naturals. I have a chub of beef one of turkey and one of lamb, I feed three times a day. 1/8 cup dry food mixed 1/8 cup of hot water. I wait 3 minites for it to rehydrate then mix 10oz of raw food.
BTW my pup is only 3 months old

I continued to feed what my breeder was feeding. The honest kitchen brand grain free fruit and veggie base mix. For the raw its Northwestern naturals. I have a chub of beef one of turkey and one of lamb, I feed three times a day. 1/8 cup dry food mixed 1/8 cup of hot water. I wait 3 minites for it to rehydrate then mix 10oz of raw food.
BTW my pup is only 3 months old

Nice:) !

Question guys. So two things..

1- Haku has developed resource guarding for his raw food ( that’s what someone suggested it is ) he will be protective but he won’t grow bark or bite if you come near him eating it. But if you come near him eating it he will try to shove it all down in one bite. How do I fix this behaviour? I can move his bowl, touch his food, etc and he won’t growl but just eat around you super fast trying to get it al. (I wanted to test to see if he would bite or growl if I put my hand near it but he didn’t so that’s good) we also went to the pet store to grab a bully stick and he grabbed a bag of pepperonis off the shelf and held on to them for dear life, I had to rip it out of his mouth lol and he’s NEVER done that before a simple leave it and he would listen...

Besides that all is good with the raw switch he loves it, and second question is about his stool. It’s small and firm and a dark brownish colour, instantly a change from his kibble I love it but question is I felt small hard and somewhat pointy bones in his stool ( fed chicken and chicken bones) is that okay?

Back