• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Raw crusty nose

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Reckless the Dutch Shepherd has had this nose problem on & off for 5 years (she's 8 now). J has tried everything, the vets just shrug and say this ointment or that ointment. They haven't suggested a skin scraping which I guess will have to be requested. It will get better to the point of looking completely normal for several months and then go back to raw & crusty, which makes me feel like it's not diet related. This is as bad as it's ever been. It never spreads outside the nose pad and is mainly only on top, never gets bad down the front or sides.

@Rits, she did order that creme that you recommended in the other thread, but I just thought I'd see if anyone had ever seen or dealt with anything like this.

Again, the weirdest thing is that it heals and gets better then in a few months it starts peeling and getting worse again. No rhyme or reason.

Attachments

• IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    555.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    424.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2964.JPG
    IMG_2964.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 11
  • fullsizeoutput_649.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_649.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 12
Wow that does look raw and crusty! And no answers from the vet? That's amazing. I've never seen something like that so I can't help you but I agree that somebody should look deeper into that. It's been going on for 5 years? Not getting any worse? Just heals and comes back, on and off. It is a dilemma that I hope someone can help you with! Curious to see some answers.

Daisy had something very similar.
Allergies to something we could never fully pin down.
We knew she had allergies to corn, dog food with corn would produce spots like this all over her rib cage, head, and nose.

Switched foodsand the body stuff went away. But the nose. We could never get a handle on it. Flare up, then heal up then repeat.

I’d suspect something in the yard or in the house. Think cleaners, carpet deodorizer, fabric softener etc.
Good luck I know it’s frustrating.
C7CC6823-8E51-425B-8210-1CFF4D868895.png

Not a Vet and don't play one on TV but -

:)

Looks pretty clear to ME that your dog has a serious sardine deficiency going on there. :)

Looks like a mild version of pemphigus. Any issues anywhere else on her? Soft tissue areas like around the eyes, ears, or foot pads?

Looks like a mild version of pemphigus. Any issues anywhere else on her? Soft tissue areas like around the eyes, ears, or foot pads?
Just the nose, but she scratches her eyes with her paws pretty often, but there's nothing to see when she does.

But the nose. We could never get a handle on it. Flare up, then heal up then repeat.
It's maddening, isn't it?

I googled pemphigus and it sounds pretty logical.

Just the nose, but she scratches her eyes with her paws pretty often, but there's nothing to see when she does.

It's maddening, isn't it?

I googled pemphigus and it sounds pretty logical.

Mars had that.

Not getting any worse? Just heals and comes back, on and off.
Exactly.

Have you seen a vet dermatologist?
No, it would take a several hour trip to get to one. It doesn't seem to bother the dog as much as it bothers us to see it. And it always goes away no matter what treatment is being used. The only thing that "seemed" to help was the over-the-counter triple antibiotic gel.

dog has a serious sardine deficiency going on there. :)
She gets one or two cans of sardines in water per week. Plus she tried that fish oil out of a pump jar for about 6 months. No difference.

Thanks for this link, @Gelcoater !

The “Pemphigus Complex”

Regarding the link that @Gelcoater posted, does anyone know if FredC's dog got better or worse? Thank goodness Reckless only has it on her nose, if this is what it is. The other articles I'd found never mentioned the 60% euthanasia. That's awful. But if it was all over the body I could see how distressing that could become for dog & humans.

Steroids are so freaking hard on the body - true they fix a LOT of ills, but long term it always seems to do more damage.

Thanks for all the input. I'll pass this info on (most of you know that Reckless is not mine but I love her to pieces) and see what the next vet visit brings. Oh, and our vet clinic here that I like so much? Down to the one original vet now - it was 3, one had a baby about a year ago and decided not to come back, then about 2 weeks ago the other one announced moving on to another clinic. Now the Dr is only here 3 days a week because he has 2 days in another town for vet work.... The vet shortage is real. :cry:

Regarding the link that @Gelcoater posted, does anyone know if FredC's dog got better or worse? Thank goodness Reckless only has it on her nose, if this is what it is. The other articles I'd found never mentioned the 60% euthanasia. That's awful. But if it was all over the body I could see how distressing that could become for dog & humans.

Steroids are so freaking hard on the body - true they fix a LOT of ills, but long term it always seems to do more damage.

Thanks for all the input. I'll pass this info on (most of you know that Reckless is not mine but I love her to pieces) and see what the next vet visit brings. Oh, and our vet clinic here that I like so much? Down to the one original vet now - it was 3, one had a baby about a year ago and decided not to come back, then about 2 weeks ago the other one announced moving on to another clinic. Now the Dr is only here 3 days a week because he has 2 days in another town for vet work.... The vet shortage is real. :cry:
It got worse.
Developed into a Lupus like disease.
Mars passed a week before his 8th birthday.
It broke Fred into a million pieces.
Mars was the patriarch of DCF.
I miss Fred around here.

It got worse.
Developed into a Lupus like disease.
Mars passed a week before his 8th birthday.
It broke Fred into a million pieces.
Mars was the patriarch of DCF.
I miss Fred around here.
:sorrow: How awful. I never knew Fred, but could see the many many great pinned articles on so many subjects - when I first came here, I think I read all the pinned articles in each section.

What about Daisys nose?

:sorrow: How awful. I never knew Fred, but could see the many many great pinned articles on so many subjects - when I first came here, I think I read all the pinned articles in each section.

What about Daisys nose?
It never got better.
Scab, heal, repeat.
She also died before her 8th birthday.
DCM

Pretty sure Fred had a thread or two about Mars and his ongoing health issues.
A search here would probably find it, although there’s going to be a lot of Mars content to dig through, lol. His picture and name is all over the site.
This forum exists because of Mars.

Since Reckless does nose work I had to wonder if there may be a certain scent that triggers the flare up? Maybe keep track of what scents she works with and the timing of the flare up could line up?

Was only joking about the sardines.

Pray to heaven that this is only something minor and not something that could be life threatening for your dog.

Since Reckless does nose work I had to wonder if there may be a certain scent that triggers the flare up? Maybe keep track of what scents she works with and the timing of the flare up could line up?
Good thoughts, but she only works with the same 4 essential oils in AKC and NACSW and has worked/practiced hides once or twice a week for almost her whole life, so it doesn't have a down time or an intense time to get better or worse over the course of months. :scratch:

Mars had that.
Yes, that is why I suspected it as a possibility but if it were it looks mild.

Page 9 for diagnosis.

Back