• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Sick 7-year-old female, strange symtomps

My sweet 7-year-old female is sick, I am in need of advice. 4 days prior to our vet visit out of the blue she let out a yelp, her side seemed to be sore but we thought perhaps she was stung by a bee.It happened while she was in a room alone so we are not sure what happened.
2 days later she developed diarrhea and lots of pee accidents, and it took 2 days before I could get a vet appointment. The vet checked her blood, fecal sample, giardia, and vitals. Her blood platelets were a little low and she was dehydrated, other than that the vet assumed she somehow got food poisoning. I was sent home with 3 meds:
Proviable Forte, Cerenia, Metronidazole.
I took her home and made sure she stayed hydrated, and received special hydrating wet food (prescription). That was 4 days ago, We have a follow-up with the vet on Thursday but I am concerned there is something else wrong with her. I am on a waitlist to get in sooner at several locations.
Her symptoms are:
She is in pain, she is not her happy usual self and she can't get comfortable.
Her eyes are red and she is constantly getting eye boogies
She has a hard time getting comfortable, can only stand or lay like a sphinx. She typically lays on her side, it seems as she is in pain when moving too much
Her paws seem swollen
Occasionally she wheezes
She drinks a lot more water than normal and as a result, pees a lot
Her hair on her back stands up but in a strange way. Never seen it like that before
Lethargic, she is normally very active and happy. At this point she does not even come to the door to greet us, not like her at all.

She will eat but only if I really encourage her. I bought wet food to entice her. Normally she loves to go for walks but she is not in the mood, sadly.
If anyone has any advice, please let me know. It is hard to see my Sasha girl this way.
Thank you,
Dorte

Sorry to hear this. I am so bad about health problems, but I hope you get concise answers from a vet and some experienced advice here.

I am not a medical person either but wanted to say sorry you are going through this and it sounds very worrying. Getting to a vet as soon as possible would make the most sense at this stage in my opinion. Is there any way she could have eaten something sharp or toxic while you weren't watching?

I would have the vet take xrays. Sounds like something internally is going on. Is she fixed?

Definitely needs vet asap. Please let us know if you find answers to Sashas ailment.

So strange….Weird that it appears to be positional also. I know that when Ragnar had an obstruction, it was painful. He would get up and stretch in different diagonal ways as if he felt it internally. He would also sit and lay differently.

Not saying that she has an obstruction but I agree with all the above, something internally is going on.

This detail stuck out to me - sounds like fluid retention and I would mention that to the vet as that can be easy to overlook. Hope you get some answers soon so she can return to her normal self.
Fluid retention and excess water can be signs of pyometra too. That's why I wondered if she was fixed.

Please get her in sooner than later. I know it's hard to get into the vet these days but lethargy in an otherwise energetic dog and lack of appetite are major signs something is off. This would warrant an ER trip imo.

Ohhh, I wish your cute dog a speedy recovery. I hope that everything will work out. There is a possibility that she was poisoned by something when she was walking on the street, for example.

Ohhh, I wish your cute dog a speedy recovery. I hope that everything will work out. There is a possibility that she was poisoned by something when she was walking on the street, for example. I'm just about to become a veterinary assistant by learning through the platform Veterinary Assistant Certification. It seems to me that helping sick animals is very noble and sweet. As for your dog, I really hope that the doctor will be able to find the cause of the disease. If this is poisoning, then you will have to undergo a considerable course of treatment.

Back