1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Shots

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by deladobies, Mar 28, 2009.

1. vanLayne

vanLayne New Member

I think what was posted above about "handling" of shots is the #1 reason I would not buy from a feed store and give my own shots. It's not that I think that the people that work there are not capable of doing things properly, but I dont think I would put my dogs health in the hands of a feed store employee. Things are to easily overlooked, and shots have to stay cool.

Also, my vet will not accept "breeder shots".

I give the 5 way vaccines until the last 2. We add in lepto at 16 weeks, and booster it at 20. Rabies after the shot series is complete.

2. DobieLvr

DobieLvr Novitiate

There are concerns of the vaccines being any good and of not having been over heated - etc. I get mine locally and online and have never had a problem with getting them. If you aren't sure, most companies will take them back and replace them.

I have given my own shots for more years than I care to think about really.... at least 20 and have never had a puppy buyer ask about me giving the shots. I staple the package to the dogs papers - health records that come with all of them. Lepto is not given to under - I believe 12 weeks..

I see absolutely no reason to spend $45 or more on shots that I can give for $5... I have experience behind me... I know when a dog is sick and I know how to take a temp... any doubts whatsoever - and I'm at the Vet. Now, I do have one thing that bugs me. I take in stools to see what kind of worms puppies have to be treated... just a thing I have. Older dogs I'm not as cautious with...but puppies - I am.

Age Vaccination
    5 weeks Parvovirus: For puppies at high risk. Check with your veterinarian.
    6 & 9weeks Combination vaccine* without leptospirosis.
    Coronavirus: where coronavirus is a concern.

12 weeks or older Rabies: Given by your local veterinarian (age at vaccination may vary according to local law).
    12 & 15 weeks** Combination vaccine*
    Leptospirosis: include leptospirosis in the combination vaccine where leptospirosis is a concern, or if traveling to an area where it occurs.

Lyme: where Lyme disease is a concern or if traveling to an area where it occurs.

Adult Combination vaccine*
    Leptospirosis: include leptospirosis in the combination vaccine where leptospirosis is a concern, or if traveling to an area where it occurs.

Lyme: where Lyme disease is a concern or if traveling to an area where it occurs.

Rabies: Given by your local veterinarian (time interval between vaccinations may vary according to local law).

*A combination vaccine, often called a 5-way vaccine, usually includes adenovirus cough and hepatitis, canine distemper, parainfluenza, and parvovirus.

Some combination vaccines may also include leptospirosis (7-way vaccines) and/or coronavirus. The inclusion of either canine adenovirus-1 or adenovirus-2 in a vaccine will protect against both adenovirus cough and hepatitis; adenovirus-2 is highly preferred.

**Some puppies may need additional vaccinations against parvovirus after 15 weeks of age. Consult with your local veterinarian.

Bordetella and parainfluenza: For complete canine cough protection, we recommend Intra-Trac III ADT. For dogs that are shown, in field trials, or are boarded, we recommend vaccination every six to twelve months with Intra-Trac III ADT.