Shelters Contemplate Breeding Pets During COVID-19 Animal Import Dry Spell in Vermont

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
2020-06-23 | AKC Government Relations Department

rhodesian%20ridgeback%20pupy%20in%20field.jpg
Vermont’s Loophole: In 2016, the Vermont Legislature enacted a “housekeeping” measure, Act No. 149, that increased annual license fees charged to agricultural businesses in the state, such as operating a plant nursery or a small farm. The increases were to cover administrative expenses of operating the agency, but the Act also eliminated the requirement that animal shelter and rescue organizations have a certificate of registration to operate. The certificates had been issued at no cost by the Secretary of Agriculture, Food, and Markets. As intended, this decreased the agency’s administrative workload, but it also had the unintended effect of allowing diseased animals to enter the state for distribution through its shelters and rescues. This also increased the risk of disease exposure for other animals and people. The problem continues to exist today. For example, reports of animals being routinely transferred at highway service area parking lots are common; and according to news reports, dogs enter Vermont in truckloads through online sales, some run by for-profit animal shelters.

A Legislative Delay: For the 2020 legislative session, the Vermont Animal Cruelty Investigation Advisory Board issued recommendations on how to improve the oversight and execution of animal welfare responsibilities. Two objectives were highlighted: (1) establishing a mechanism for identifying those engaged in animal rescue work by re-establishing a system for identification and oversight, and (2) redefining the training requirements for and responsibilities of animal humane officers. In March, the Vermont House Agricultural Committee began drafting legislative solutions, but was hampered by the COVID-19 pandemic, which significantly changed lawmakers’ priorities.

As a result of the pandemic, Governors across the country issued emergency executive orders to protect public health. In many states, including Vermont, non-essential travel across state lines stopped.

Shelters Discuss Ways to Increase Supply: The COVID-19 travel restrictions have made adoptable dogs harder to find, at a time when many people working from home have decided this is an ideal time to get a pet. In May, with demand exceeding supply, a group of Vermont shelters asked Vermont Governor Scott to authorize the resumption of interstate pet transports to supply them with the hundreds of dogs sourced annually from outside the state, regardless of the threats to the public health those activities may pose.

Part of the conversation among these groups even included a New England initiative aimed at encouraging the breeding of family-friendly, affordable dogs and cats at shelters!

These issues impact the entire New England region. In fact, the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources recently implemented new, detailed regulations for animal rescue and shelter organizations that expressly ban the intentional breeding of animals. This success happened after Governor Baker received emails from kennel club members from across the state.

Call to Action: The Vermont Federation of Dog Clubs and the American Kennel Club Government Relations Department (AKC GR) have written Governor Scott requesting he not lift the ban on animal imports without first requiring registration and minimum animal quarantine periods for animals imported by rescue organizations. The breeding of animals for sale by shelters and rescues is inconsistent with their charitable mission as understood by the public and should be prohibited. Shelters and rescues should focus on the rehoming of adoptable, unowned animals. If shelters or rescues wish to enter the breeding business, they should simply be required to drop their charitable status and be subject to the same existing regulations as other commercial pet breeders, distributors, and pet shops.

Please join us in the effort to protect responsibly-bred purebred dogs and the public health. AKC GR works hard to monitor legislation around the country that impacts dog ownership and the wellbeing of dogs. We provide resources and legislative alerts so you can get the information you need to protect your rights. Together, we can succeed in making important change. When you see an AKC GR alert about your state or community, join us by taking action and sharing that information so we can protect our rights and the future of our dogs.

Source: Shelters Contemplate Breeding Pets During COVID-19 Animal Import Dry Spell in Vermont

Wow, how could they ever think this is a good idea? With the Covid lockdown and work from home policies there has been a run on dog adoptions in Australia as well. Especially those larger breeds with guard dog capabilities! I just know that as soon as life goes back to anything near pre covid normal a lot of these animals will end up back in a shelter because no one has time to deal with them any more. Very, very bad idea, and one that doesn't have the welfare of animals at it's heart either. :thumbsdown:

These people need to go away! Those of us who live in New England states got the message loud and clear about pet overpopulation, responsible pet ownership, and the importance of spay and neuter. Anti-breeding campaigns have been so successful here that non-profit, tax exempt, private, no-kill shelters here have been importing dogs from other regions of the US and Puerto Rico before it was a US territory.
These people need to shut their doors, give up their salaries, and go somewhere that has a problem. We still have municipal shelters and pounds that can handle the rare local abuse or stray cases. Facebook seems to handle all of the strays where I live. All I read is, "Owner found" when I see a lost dog post.
The only business an animal shelter has in breeding pets is staying in business. What hypocrites... "non-profit" I don't think so.

This is absolutely insane!!
Adopt don’t shop has been preached at me for buying my dobes by so many.
I’ve heard the “how can you support breeders when so many animals needs homes.
Shut your doors because shelters have ZERO business breeding. Seems like they are proving its about the money and not the animals. Hypocrites!!

I think just as there are with breeders, there are reputable rescues and not reputable. Truly disgusting...

I heard about this yesterday and it's disgusting. So much for "don't go to a breeder for a pup, adopt a dog in need". So they're going to breed dogs in need? :banghead:

I think just as there are with breeders, there are reputable rescues and not reputable. Truly disgusting...
I totally agree.

I remember when rescue people used to talk about how exhausted they were from fighting the pet overpopulation problem and how they couldn't wait for the day when the spay and neuter message finally sunk in with the public so that they could close their doors and return to a normal life. Well, they won the war but became dependent on the battle for their livelihood.

There's another component to keeping the doors open that anyone with a heart can relate to, and that's the, "As long as there is an animal in need, I'll be here to help." attitude. That's great, but what are they doing to prevent unwanted pets in the areas they draw overflow from?

What are they thinking it’s completely walks back the idea of spay neuter programs. And trying to convince people to be responsible about unnecessary animals being brought into the world.

Oh.My.God! The hypocrisy :facepalm:That to me is especially heinous considering they berate and abuse people who do breed already or even just own intact animals. They want to create dogs of unknown origin and health to then turn around and sell to unsuspecting adopters that have no idea this is even happening behind the scenes.

:wtf:

I'm amazed that the war has been won?!:scratch: Really? They've 'run out' of stray dogs?? First they import strays; next they breed strays! :facepalm:
I'm only talking about New England, and yes the war on pet overpopulation problem has been won here. I'm not sure why you are specifically asking about stray dogs, but that situation is being handled very well too. People in New England are almost horrified when they see testicles dangling between a dog's legs. You just don't see it unless you know a person who still breeds.
The shelters don't want to breed strays, they want to sell puppies to maintain their cash flow.

Well, it seems to me like they are breeding a product to sell.
It might be difficult to do since they all go around snipping the balls off of or spay any dog they find.
Have a co worker who’s dog got out of the yard.
Picked him up at the pound less than 24 hours after escape. And his balls were gone! The dude was pissed!

This whole idea stinks of self preservation and desperation, along with a pinch of hypocrisy.

Back