Running with Dobermans

Ddski5

Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
So I am through training my youngest- Tristen and off she goes to college soccer.

Yesterday, I felt like a run but didn’t want to run by myself. I put the ecollars on the monsters and trekked on out the door.

Freyja on my left and Ragnar on the right- that is their usual positions when we go for a walk. Started of at a brisk walk to let them understand their positions and I wanted them to stay there- no scurrying off to a mail box or bush to smell. We were going on a run and I didn’t need any distractions of them choosing to break ranks. Freyja was diligent and watched my hips but that damn Ragnar is one to always push the boundaries. At the third mail box, he breaks rank and goes sniffing. Freyja and I kept walking and I said, “let’s go Rag…back in line”. He never looked up- still sniffing- so he got a stim of 25 that locked his arse up and within .5secs he was back at my right side again.

Walked another 10ft and I started at a quick run down the street- two way street goes to a dead end, two laps is about 1.6miles.

Ran for about 200 more feet and must have been some good smelling shat on the right side because asshat Ragnar breaks ranks again….Freyja been true the entire time btw. So I tell him, “Rag, get back in line”… he doesn’t. So I stim-25 him from that bush until he reaches my right leg- boy he was moving fast.

After that, didn’t have any issues with Ragnar breaking rank, he stayed in line the rest of the run. Freyja stayed at my left side but did not like it if Ragnar was further ahead (forward) than her even if it was only by a nose. She would steadily look across me to see how far he was and if he was a foot a quarter of foot in front then she would move a foot in front.

Took some getting use to but they both got it and we enjoyed a nice run together. Hopefully next time I can get my wife to take a picture or video us so you can see.

Really look forward to a video the vision in my mind of two competitive dobermanns deciding who is going to be the leader 😀 priceless, your a braver man than me got enough problems trying to walk one dog let alone have a run with two.

your a braver man than me got enough problems trying to walk one dog let alone have a run with two.
Yeah…I have great confidence in the ECollar with them two. They both respond to it very well. I always start off with a verbal command, then the vibrate stim and then the stronger stim.

9/10 times Freyja responds to the vibrate with no issues. She is very sensitive to it and really doesn’t need anything above 13 unless an emergency. A vibrate to Ragnar is a nudge of Cmon man, let’s go….At 13, Ragnar will just look at me. He doesn’t budge until 25. Not with Freyja but with Ragnar, I will not hesitate to crank it up quickly to 40-45 if I see a dog/animal or a car coming down the road. That asshat knows, he just chooses to linger and push boundaries. And the funny thing about it is I trained him for a longer time and he knows more commands than Freyja. Kinda like the all star athlete that has the skills but is more like ehhhh, if I don’t have to then I don’t want to do it. On the other hand Freyja pops, and responds very well just wanting a chance to get on the field to prove herself.

I could prob do it with Freyja without the ECollar- not with Rag….he goes into his prey drive way to fast and once he is there it takes time to get him back to reality.

I really really love the ECollar, it allows me/us to do things that otherwise would not be considered from a novice trainer of myself. It just wouldn’t be possible to do the things we do without dire consequences…..It allows them to be free without a physical restriction and gives me significant peace of mind.

A video will be posted within 7-10 days rain or shine.

Boy they sound great even though Ragnar broke protocol a couple times. When we had Della and Albert it was her with the high prey drive who would go beat to her own drum if she got on the trail of something.

Yeah, my Asha is your Ragnar. Pushing the limits, even when she knows better. My other two Dobes were like you describe Freyja: "I know what that means and I'm happy to oblige". Asha in high drive won't blink at 25, maybe flatten like a pancake at 50, but won't stop grumbling. Hard dogs are just hard. So grateful for the tools we have to help us.

Yippee! a video!!!

I did not forget, I promise. I actually made a video on my daughter’s iPhone but when I load it up on YouTube, it is way too fuzzy and difficult to see.

So she is coming home this weekend and maybe we can do it with the camcorder.

A couple of days ago I thought about this, but I wasn't near the computer. I was thinking I needed to push you on your promise. Of course I forgot about it.

Looking forward to the video - have you been running with the dogs a lot? Getting fit, or is it just a little fun thing?

Looking forward to the video - have you been running with the dogs a lot? Getting fit, or is it just a little fun thing?

I was training/running with my youngest daughter before she left for college. She was preparing for their fitness test- when they report back to their soccer team. It’s a lot of sprinting, running, ball work, etc…

So since she left, I get the Dobermans to run with me. They do fine with no worries, won’t be able to do this in the summer on the hot asphalt though.

You can see in the last picture, Freyja likes to run tight close to me. She usually clips me a couple times if I don’t watch it. We do fine with each other once we three get into a rhythm and groove.

Here are some picts.

1676644701067.jpeg

1676644743633.jpeg

1676644783193.jpeg

That looks so impressive. I get the clipping thing. And their weight can really send you flying if it happens on the wrong stride. I seriously doubt that you ever have any trouble with your two perfect guardians on the job. :thumbsup2:

Wow, I love it!! If I saw a man running down the street with 2 dobermans with him, I'd run to catch up!!! (As if! 🤣 ) The guy might be flattered, until he finds out I just want to pet his dogs and talk "Doberman."

What an awesome sight running with not just one Doberman but TWO! Ya, I recognize Ragnar's behavior 😀 There's always something interesting to sniff! Good work!

Here is the video of us running….it’s a blurry crap video but it’s something.

I was wobbling side to side because the day before this Tristen and I competed in a 5k and I pushed it too hard. Dang, my entire pelvis hurt. Hahaha

Fabuous!!! This is beautiful obedience because both the dogs look so totally happy to be there with you at your pace. Great training & great looking dogs! So envious of you being able to run (I can walk for miles but I can't run 100 feet). Hope you keep it up - looks like it's a win/win for everyone!

Back