Ripley earned her CGCU

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Ripley earned her CGCU over the weekend! Thanks to evaluator Kim Stanton for testing Derek and Rip! She saved us when we discovered they weren't doing CGCA or U at the show even though it was listed on the premium. ❤️🙌

Years ago I had the dream of earning a CGC on my crackhead rescue working lab Java but I could never get her calm enough in public places to think straight on a flat collar to even think of ever trying. To get Ripley's CGC and also her CGCA, it was an amazing feeling... To be able to hand her off to my husband and for her to behave just as well with him as she does with me, it truly made my heart sing!!! To really see all of my hard work training her non-stop ever since she came home now paying off... It gave Derek the confidence that he can do it too. 🥰

Kim was our evaluator for our CGC when Ripley was a young and crazy sprite so it was bittersweet that it worked out this way! If you could ask her she would tell you how it was quite the difference between her CGC and CGCU 😂😊Where then Ripley was 8 months and contained herself enough for passing. Here Ripley heeled the entire way on her flat collar, all over a busy show site, parking lot, road, and even between the exercises inside and outside. She passed like a breeze. 😌👏

AKC Urban CGC Test Items
  1. Exit/enter doorway with no pulling in dog-friendly buildings. Exit building to start test, additional Public buildings items are below.
  2. Walk through a crowd on a busy urban sidewalk.
    • People come toward the dog from 1-ft. away
    • Tolerate distractions (people wearing hats, coats, men, women, etc).
  3. Appropriate reaction to city distractions. This includes movement, noises, and walking on a variety of surfaces. Examples:
    • Noises: horns, sirens, construction noise, etc.
    • Moving objects: skateboard, bike, carts, person running
    • Surfaces: concrete, grass, grates, plastic tarp, wet sidewalk
  4. Crossing street: Stop at corner, stand or sit to wait and cross with no pulling (on leash, with owner). Crosses street under control.
  5. Ignore food on sidewalk. (Dropped food, or cups, bags, cans, in which food was wrapped).
  6. Person walks up and pets the dog. May be carrying an item such as a small dog in a bag, a computer bag, etc. Person does not put the bag down to pet the dog.
  7. Public Building (that is dog friendly). Walks under control in building (slick surface, carpeted floor). Down stay (3 min) in lobby or outdoor area, or waits while owner has a meal or snack.
  8. Stairs, steps, or elevator under control.
    • Steps (at least 3 – up and down)
    • Elevator (Enters under control, exits, rides under control)
  9. Housetrained for apartment, condo, city living. Owner may verify this item. Evaluator may also observe in public buildings, or have observed in training classes.
  10. Transportation. Owner’s choice depending on transportation needs.
    • Car. Enters/exits, remains under control during the ride. (Crate? Seatbelt?)
    • Subway. Small dog in bag for ride. (large dogs are not always permitted; know and abide by the Transit Policies in your area).
    • Dog friendly (enters/exits or allows to be put in/taken out) under control.

Starting their down stay for 3 min while he looked over show results.
PXL_20221106_152819929.jpg

Awesome! No wonder she's tired.

I think our club has an upcoming AKC Farm Dog Certified test coming up this year so I might bring Phoebe to that since she's used to most of those things.

I think our club has an upcoming AKC Farm Dog Certified test coming up this year so I might bring Phoebe to that since she's used to most of those things.
That would be great for you both! I hope you do take her! It's such a satisfying feeling doing these things with our guys and seeing how far they've come.

Congratulations! We anticipate testing for CGC in January or February. We are a work in progress still. The Urban one does have some serious extras!

Congratulations! We anticipate testing for CGC in January or February. We are a work in progress still. The Urban one does have some serious extras!
You guys got this! I remember how nervous I was for her CGC and how hard we worked for her to get to the level of passing. I certainly could have waited until she was more mature mentally but I knew I wanted to push ourselves and that was the first step. I'm looking forward to hearing that she passed 😁

Congratulations!

The elevator is a good one - Kaiser always bends his knees a bit when the elevator starts to go up and sometimes he'll hang his head. Then when the elevator stops, his head will perk up. It's interesting to see how they interpret all these things that we humans don't even think about.

I'd love to do the Urban test, sounds awesome! Ripley is rocking through all the tests.

I have never worked this hard on a dog (i have always had dogs) and i have never been thus rewarded. we are about half way through and wow does she ever make me proud in public.
That's what I find about training and trialing - the rewards you get are not in the ribbons but in the dog itself and the relationship you build. For us first timers it's just a huge rush of satisfaction to accomplish every little thing!

Ripley earned her CGCU over the weekend! Thanks to evaluator Kim Stanton for testing Derek and Rip! She saved us when we discovered they weren't doing CGCA or U at the show even though it was listed on the premium. ❤️🙌

Years ago I had the dream of earning a CGC on my crackhead rescue working lab Java but I could never get her calm enough in public places to think straight on a flat collar to even think of ever trying. To get Ripley's CGC and also her CGCA, it was an amazing feeling... To be able to hand her off to my husband and for her to behave just as well with him as she does with me, it truly made my heart sing!!! To really see all of my hard work training her non-stop ever since she came home now paying off... It gave Derek the confidence that he can do it too. 🥰

Kim was our evaluator for our CGC when Ripley was a young and crazy sprite so it was bittersweet that it worked out this way! If you could ask her she would tell you how it was quite the difference between her CGC and CGCU 😂😊Where then Ripley was 8 months and contained herself enough for passing. Here Ripley heeled the entire way on her flat collar, all over a busy show site, parking lot, road, and even between the exercises inside and outside. She passed like a breeze. 😌👏

AKC Urban CGC Test Items
  1. Exit/enter doorway with no pulling in dog-friendly buildings. Exit building to start test, additional Public buildings items are below.
  2. Walk through a crowd on a busy urban sidewalk.
    • People come toward the dog from 1-ft. away
    • Tolerate distractions (people wearing hats, coats, men, women, etc).
  3. Appropriate reaction to city distractions. This includes movement, noises, and walking on a variety of surfaces. Examples:
    • Noises: horns, sirens, construction noise, etc.
    • Moving objects: skateboard, bike, carts, person running
    • Surfaces: concrete, grass, grates, plastic tarp, wet sidewalk
  4. Crossing street: Stop at corner, stand or sit to wait and cross with no pulling (on leash, with owner). Crosses street under control.
  5. Ignore food on sidewalk. (Dropped food, or cups, bags, cans, in which food was wrapped).
  6. Person walks up and pets the dog. May be carrying an item such as a small dog in a bag, a computer bag, etc. Person does not put the bag down to pet the dog.
  7. Public Building (that is dog friendly). Walks under control in building (slick surface, carpeted floor). Down stay (3 min) in lobby or outdoor area, or waits while owner has a meal or snack.
  8. Stairs, steps, or elevator under control.
    • Steps (at least 3 – up and down)
    • Elevator (Enters under control, exits, rides under control)
  9. Housetrained for apartment, condo, city living. Owner may verify this item. Evaluator may also observe in public buildings, or have observed in training classes.
  10. Transportation. Owner’s choice depending on transportation needs.
    • Car. Enters/exits, remains under control during the ride. (Crate? Seatbelt?)
    • Subway. Small dog in bag for ride. (large dogs are not always permitted; know and abide by the Transit Policies in your area).
    • Dog friendly (enters/exits or allows to be put in/taken out) under control.

Starting their down stay for 3 min while he looked over show results.
View attachment 129914
What is CGCU?

Back