Random Pet Video of the Day - Share yours!

  • Thread starter Thread starter FredC
  • Start date Start date

@obbanner - Nice! ...curious, if you don't throw it yet, do you have a command for retrieve to send AJ over the jump for the dumbbell? AJ looks so calm, cool & collected here!
 
Buddy has suckled from day one and never on a blanket that wasn't his.
Buddy is a special guy! Ripley already likes all blankets. She thinks they are toys :p I just don't feel it's fair to her to correct and say she can have this one, but not that one or that one! It's easier to teach her to bite only her toys than differentiate blankets that all look and bite the same. :D
 
@obbanner - Nice! ...curious, if you don't throw it yet, do you have a command for retrieve to send AJ over the jump for the dumbbell? AJ looks so calm, cool & collected here!

I tell him JUMP instead of GETIT because that's the aspect I want to reinforce. Dobies are very smart and know the easiest way is around the jump instead of over it. I'm reinforcing the jump training in both directions in this video. They pick up pretty quickly that they're to retrieve the dumbbell once they see the dumbbell sail over the jump.

One of my favorite war stories is with Cooper. The dumbbell took a bad bounce when it landed and went ninety degrees way off to the side. Cooper went out over the jump, turned and ran over to get the dumbbell, then turned around to come back. But since he was way off to the side, the jump wasn't anywhere close to the direct line to me. I could practically see the smoke come out of his head as he slowed down to a walk, looked at me, looked at the jump, looked at me, then changed direction to come over the jump. The judge, Nancy Withers, commented, "It's nice to have a dog that thinks." That incident taught me to include in my training putting / throwing the dumbbell off to the side.
 
I just don't feel it's fair to her to correct and say she can have this one, but not that one or that one! It's easier to teach her to bite only her toys than differentiate blankets that all look and bite the same
Seriously, with these dogs, they are way smarter than you imagine. If you give her one blanket that she can drag around and sleep with and say no on any of the others, it won't take long. Or just do the toys only. Just wanted to say that even at a young age it's amazing how fast they learn. I just did the replacement trick. "No, not your shoe [taking shoe away], here's your toy". Asha has one blanket that's her's and she drags it all over the house to her various beds except her overnight bed. She doesn't suckle but sometimes she holds it in her mouth with her eyes closed for 3 or 4 minutes and it does serve as a de-escalator.

@obbanner - that's a wonderful story about Cooper!!!
 
Phoebe found her voice. I'm so glad it doesn't stay that way... :eek:

Albert was giving her what for lol

I had Ripley listen. I didn't record her first reaction but she was in the middle of shaking the snot out of a stuffed toy then stopped mid shake and spat the toy out. She watched the phone and nose bonked it. Here's her second reaction. She keeps trying to look behind the phone :D

 
My teacher runs AJ at barn hunt Master level in class Tuesday. She doesn't know how many rats are on the course, and has to both find all the rats and call CLEAR when she thinks she found them all. I'm the rat wrangler. I'm in a slump where I'm not always reading AJ correctly, so Leila ran him so I can watch what he does.

Note at 1:30 Leila calls the element on the left clear of rats. That's not done in a trial until the entire course is clear. She's confirming with the person who hid the rats that AJ found all the rats in that particular element as part of training.

AJ finds his first rat in the first five seconds. There can be one to five rats hidden and three rats are in this run. The run finishes with AJ going through the tunnel and Leila calling CLEAR for the course.

I love the way AJ jumps for joy at 1:10.

 
Wonderful to see. AJ looks a bit confused that it wasn't you running him I think? Kept checking back in with you! :) He found all the rats, good boy!
 
Great video of AJ! I love seeing how happy these dogs are working. Barn hunt is something I wish I could try with Jasper. Doesn’t seem like there are classes anywhere near me.
 
Wonderful to see. AJ looks a bit confused that it wasn't you running him I think? Kept checking back in with you! :) He found all the rats, good boy!

I had to come into the ring. My teacher led him in, took off the lead and told him to go find rats. Instead, he sat at the gate staring out at me. I wanted to video it, so the teacher's assistant made the video and I did his job. That broke the ice and he started working for her. He's a good boy. I love working with my dogs.
 

Back
Top