I also found some info at DPCA on testing for longevity:
There is more, on the DPCA website.
I'm curious "how many of the owners here have gone to the trouble to double-check generations info for cause of death, and age of death in their dogs upline?"
Longevity seems to be the newest item of interest in online discussions- some useful IMHO sparked by the youtube guy - dobermanplanet interviewing Dr Sophie Lu.
I read more science based efforts in the latest studies that are underway or being solicited, with DNA. IIRC at Cornell, U of MN and the one in Germany? (Search threads here or at the other doberman forum)
These will all take years of data to establish correlations if any, to genetics, but as a practical matter- knowing how long the dogs in previous generations lived is a very useful metric, if you want to decide on a family companion, show or working dog.
Whether they breed for show, sports, service animals- its an important number, "Return on Investment" if you will- given how much time and effort and $$$ these dobes can require of an owner.
Hope I'm not stirring up too much of a hornets nest here- I have "no dog in this fight" as a breeder, club member, BYB dog seller -
Bonnie is a "just" a family dog, from a BYB, actually, and all our dogs going far back have been rescues...
But if I were to get another dobe it would be a well bred male, chosen carefully...
but thats way down the line if ever.
Its just a very fascinating intellectual exercise on many levels, and I REALLY appreciate all the generosity of the site owner and members who share so much useful info.
Certainly cant get that history and breadth at FakeBook and its spinoffs, for example. The amount of misinfo and disinfo there is diqualifying, if only for the ByB puppy mill spam and ignorance on display.
But thats another topic for the HOTT forum...
