Nose Work: False Alert problems

@Ravenbird How many hides are in advanced? If I had to guess, that first bag on the right towards the doors had a hide in it. Its the very first thing she made a B line to and she went to it a total of 3x during the search. First thing I noticed in that video when watching it earlier was the location of the air duct register. I wonder if it was blowing the scent away, hits that wall then circulates towards the hide she did find and created some pooling there. Was super neat to see her work and try to decipher between the two bags next to each other, thus my thoughts that there was a lot of pooling scent there!

what are the conditions of the room?
Not a fan, but A/C vents overhead plus the in/out doors. Even in a room with no movement even your walking by or fast dog will make the scent travel. But her job is to find source no matter what. Your outdoor illustration is great - I visit K9 Sensus group too. The webinar I got has some great ideas and illustrations to help the proof the dog. Very clear & precise work. I highly recommend Scent Work University for online competition nose work learning. Not sure how much it would relate to SAR, but the science part is great!

Another thing I stumbled across was something Stacy Barnett said. She calls one of her dogs a Pink dog rather than a Red dog. Imagine source being red and the wafting scent dark pink getting lighter pink the further away from source it is. A Red dog will travel hard to source, a Pink dog will get caught up in the fringes of dispersed odor and especially if it is trapped want to alert too soon. Pink dogs will have lots of false alerts due to this.

How many hides are in advanced?
Two. I thought she gave the black tool box on the end of the left row a serious look too. Who knows?

super neat to see her work and try to decipher between the two bags next to each other
I just love watching her work like this!

OK, so here's a disclosure that I didn't want to bring up before you guys heard my story and watched some videos, because no matter what, I still have work to do with my dog. Source is source and that's what they are looking for. Since day one was more hectic & stressful and I hadn't met/talked to many people yet, I never thought to seek out the others in my class to ask what their dogs alerted on. Here are the results of that first day container class:

fullsizeoutput_590.jpeg

OK, so here's a disclosure that I didn't want to bring up before you guys heard my story and watched some videos, because no matter what, I still have work to do with my dog. Source is source and that's what they are looking for. Since day one was more hectic & stressful and I hadn't met/talked to many people yet, I never thought to seek out the others in my class to ask what their dogs alerted on. Here are the results of that first day container class:

View attachment 128069
Dang! Did they run a dog in white?

Dang! Did they run a dog in white?
demo dog run for every single class. There was a high failure rate at this trial, not sure what the average rate is, but my other two trials I don't recall having so many NQs. And I won't use it as an excuse, but at least I had lots of company. 😜

Back