1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

My girl is sick... again.

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Prushanks, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Dobieloving

Dobieloving New Member

Than YOU good Lord. She is moving SO much better
    Elizabeth

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Dobieloving

Dobieloving New Member

:p:yatta:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Haha! I was in the same dilemma! Funny when you can't pick which one to choose! But I did think it was a perfect Christmas gift, Wendy! There is nothing better than when our children mature enough to have an awakening like that! ;)

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

How is your sweet girl on Christmas Day? Been thinking of her :)

5. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Said an extra prayer for your sweet girl today. Glad to see her improving and I hope she continues to get better. Merry Christmas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Prushanks

Prushanks Hot Topics Subscriber

Merry Christmas All!! She is steadily improving daily. Still literally a bag of bones as her muscles have all atrophied but hopefully as she moves more and eats she will put it back on. She has bouts of shivering [not the tremors like in the video] but her choppers actually chatter!! Its just so weird!! Anyway, so far so good... and thank you all SOOOO much for continuing to keep her in your thoughts!!:love: :ty:

• Appreciation Appreciation x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  7. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Merry Christmas!
    Glad to hear good things about her!
    Our prayers continue for her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My Gracie would do the shiver and teeth chattering, especially when we baby talked to her. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm happy to hear of her improvements! What a Christmas present! :love:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

So glad to hear AND see Miesha's improvements! She had us pretty worried! But seeing her slowly improving and getting back to her bratty self warms my heart! Happy Holidays!!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Tropicalbri's

How is her mobility after the excitement of the holidays?
    It is good to see steady improvement and prayers for it to continue!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Prushanks

Its so funny.. when i am close enough to hear it its happening in anticipation of her meals!!
    I'm worried that she was having trouble regulating her core temp because of her having zero fat and having lost majority of her muscle mass (which really freaks me out). But she is moving much more evenly even tries to chase trucks though she knows she cant and stops her awkward speedwalk soon after she starts.

A huge issue we are having is her potty habits. I am literally taking her out every half hour [unless she's zonked out - understandable because of the steroids] and at night, i'm getting up at least three times. I think i wrote her tentative schedule in here earlier but im beginning to think there is a behavioral component here too.

Either Hubs or i will let her out last between 11p-12am. She then will climb up the stairs to get me sometime between 1:3-3am -- this may be before or after she pees some on the floor. It's really a craps shoot if there will be a puddle on the floor or not. I let her out and then back in for a small piece of ground turkey and back to the couch. IF i don't lay on the couch with her until she falls asleep, she will follow me up the stairs and sit there scratching at the gate. If i ignore her, she'll go back down but she might pee again to spite me it feels like. If i lay on the couch with her, she'll fall asleep, and i sort of light sleep and wake up around 3 and go back up stairs. Between 4-5:45 she will get me up again... again, 50/50 if there will be some pee on the ground as if she peed some, came up stairs to get me and let out to pee the rest. I lay back down with her until between 5-6am [depending on when she had initially woken] and let her out again, give her her pepcid and ABs. 6-7am i will give her her breakfast and steroids. During the day she is fine because i let her out every time she goes to the door.

I WISH i could re-crate train her... i wish i could go back in time and powered through and been more strict. We just cannot have her barking all night long.. its not just an inconvenience.. the sleep deprivation has really impacted all of our lives not just emotionally, but our health too. And with hubs working in LE, we cannot risk him being sleep deprived.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tropicalbri's

I worried about Gracie being chilled when she did her chattering because she did not have sufficient hair with the color dilute alopecia but she would do it when it was 90 outside and it was almost always in anticipation of something and me baby talking. She suffered terrible anxiety during storms, loud noises, etc. and literally injured her mouth when we tried to board her at the vets and would whine and bark incessantly. I couldn't take her to anyone's house because after 15min she was insistant that we go home.
    She was better about being home alone if it wasn't storming and formed a bond with the birds and would stay next to them when I left for work.
    I was never able to crate train her because she would injure herself.
    When she had to have all her various surgeries, the vets would send her home a day or two after surgery because of her anxiety barking and whining whereas she would have normally had to stay for at least 5-7 days given the scope and seriousness of the surgery.
    I had her house trained within a week as a pup and very very seldom did she ever have an accident.
    You could see how much it upset her when she developed urinary incontinence, but that only occurred when she was sleeping.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  14. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Do you think she would do better if you put a second crate upstairs in your bedroom and have her sleep there? We had to do that with Shadow. She is able to sleep better being in our room knowing that we are there with her. I don't know how that would work out in your situation but maybe it would cut down on the amount of times she interrupts your sleep.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Prushanks

Before IMPA [~67-70lbs]
    IMG_0984.JPG IMG_0833.JPG IMG_0835.JPG

After IMPA [~58lbs]

IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1029.JPG
    This last one is of her horribly concave shoulders- those protrusions are just skin and bone. Her neck is just a thin slip of muscle around her c-spine.
    We are well into transition to new food - day 5 of ~10. I don't want to over feed her as her stool has been consistently good since a few days after starting steroids. I don't know how much i should ultimately be feeding her but as of now we are at:

6am/6pm: [~1600-1800kcal/day]
    1 Can Science Diet Turkey&Barley Entree 7+ [355kcal/can] AND
    1 Cup Natural Balance Potato& Duck [375kcal/cup]
    Plus at least a cup or two of ground turkey throughout the day as a treat after going potty outside.

Just a disclaimer : I know Hills/SD is not the "best" food. I also know that Hill's Rx products work for the medical issues they are prescribed for. So for those who have to occasionally use i/d for GI issues but absolutely HATE paying the ridiculous amount of money they charge for it - the closest OTC food i have found to it is the Science Diet Turkey & Barley Entree 7+ [Mature]. The main difference is the switch of rice for cracked pearled barley [plus the exlusion of some other binding agents like rice starch and powdered cellulose]. Miesha doesn't have any issues with barley so it was an easy switch. It is also HALF the price! And it's working which is at this point is all i care about. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
    • Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  16. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

You can try adding in a bit more ground turkey in the meal during the day. And even adding one more teaspoon of the canned at each meal.
    At this point its what she will eat. Even though that food is not the best. If she has no problem eating it. She needs to get nutrition in her. And stick with the canned food. Since it has more moisture in it. Kibble will use moisture from the body to digest. And if she is not drinking a lot of water which she should be with the steroids, you don't want her to dehydrate.

• Like Like x 3
  17. bomary

bomary Hot Topics Subscriber

I think you are EXACTLY right on that last point...It is WORKING, and that is ALL that matters. I hate seeing how thin she looks, but slow and steady (like you did before when she was really skinny) will get the weight back on.
    What do you think about what someone above mentioned re. a crate in your room?
    YOU have GOT to get some sleep! (I know I sound like a broken record, because I've been telling you this for weeks now.)
    I love you guys, and am SO happy she is getting around so much better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Glad to see her moving more and barking. That is a good sign! I hope you see continued improvement from her.

You can always always crate train her if you want to. Its never too late. My girls came to me at a year old, not crate trained and one had separation anxiety and would bust out of the crate. Go about it like you would a puppy, in baby steps. Crate her during the day for a few minutes at a time with you in sight. Don't let her out until she's relaxed and quiet. Gradually work your way up to longer periods, periods of being out of sight, etc. Of course don't go day 1 trying to have her in her crate at night, cause you need sleep! But eventually you'd get there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Prushanks

Little update:
    My baby girl ran (albeit slowly) but she chased her beloved garbage truck today along the fence! It was definitely a gentle gallop that only lasted half the fence-line and she started it off with a ill-planned jump from the deck skipping over 3 steps!
    Her coat and skin are looking better... as a bonus, the steroids have done wonders for her GI tract and she is absorbing all the nutrients in her new food! Though she is still all bones... i feel like i am seeing some change in her condition - if merely in her coat quality... but i do think new muscle is building in there somewhere! :love:
    We are also moving up the scale on the food transition, tomorrow she'll be on 1 can + 1.5 cups of new kibble am/pm plus the matching treats [35kcal ea] which she inhales!
    I also want to thank my dear friend Brandee @bomary for a for a beautiful gift i gift received today!!!:love:
    IMG_1034.JPG

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  20. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

I love hearing that Miesha is doing so well. I can't wait to see her completely back to her old self.

Brandee that picture is awesome!

• Agree Agree x 3