Luxating Patellas

We had a weird drug reaction on Friday. Skittles is a very happy excited dog. So much so the doctor prescribed Alprazolam to help calm her down and to keep her from hurting her legs or popping staples.

Well, it had the opposite effect.

Skittles turned into a whiny, crying, restless, stoned puppy. We're pretty sure she was seeing flying pink elephants. :confused:

No more Alprazolam for her!

We'll try Acepromazine instead. The vet says that's the same drug they give dogs for long car or plane trips? It's a milder sedative.

I hope so. We didn't get much sleep last night for trying to keep Skittles from chasing all of the elephants. :rolleyes:
 
lol Awww, poor thing. I'll bet no one got any sleep! I'm not familiar with any of these drugs but I hope you all get some relief soon.

Archer would be a good one to help with the differences in drugs. :D
 
Yes, Acepromazine would be a much better alternative for her if she was sensitive to the Alprazolam as it's is a bit more mild with it's effect. Alprazolam is actually the generic for Xanax. Valium would also be a better alternative as well.

I use Ace for Archer when we have to drive long distance for dog shows (he gets car sick), or if there is a bad thunderstorm coming. It doesn't actually drug him, as in knock him out. He is still conscious, albeit care free and sleepy.

Poor sweet Skittles! It's great news she is wanting to do so much, just confirms how much her knees were effecting her. She's a little trooper. I hope the Ace works better for her. I hope you all can catch up on your sleep.
 
Archer Thanks for the feedback about Ace. It's working much better. Perhaps too well. She was given a minimum dose for her size (10mg) and has been zombie-like since the vet visit at 9am this morning.

Considering all of the other medications she's getting, we may cut the dosage in half. We want to calm her down, not knock her out :)

BTW, here are all of the meds she's taking. It seems reasonable to me but, I offer it here in case you see something we should watch out for...
  • Tramadol for pain relief
  • Rimadyl for anti-inflamation and pain relief
  • Cephalexin is an antibiotic
  • Acepromazine to calm her down
  • Gabapentin, to be used at night in case we need to further calm her down to sleep. The Ace is working so well I doubt we'll use this one at all.
One more BTW, we tried using a towel to help Skittles walk. The vet recommended panty hose instead (my wife donated a pair of thigh-high hose). Son-of-a gun, it works pretty well! It's easier to hold if you tie knots into the two ends and it has some spring to it. Skittles walks pretty well with the extra support. The vet thought it would help her do her business but, Skittles won't do her business with company so I have to let her walk off alone. I'm sure your dobes are too big for this trick but, it seems to work well for smaller dogs like Skittles.
 
You are so welcome :) Glad to help! Sounds like you vet is spectacular and on the ball. Also sounds like they are good at educating you guys.

What a cutie! She is moving around great for just having surgery.

Nothing that would counteract on her meds list. The Tramadol is great for pain. I wouldn't add the Gabapentin at all unless her pain meds reduce in efficiency. Really, it's a anticonvulsant drug used to treat seizure disorders, but it provides great pain relief when paired up with Tramadol. There is little sedative effect from it and it is typically used to increase the effect of the Tramadol for pain. If she doesn't need increased pain relief, I would not give it as it can increase the sedative effect of the Ace. There can also be side effects (there are with any drugs) when mixing the two, so I wouldn't add the Gapapentin unless her pain isn't managed well.

If she is gorked on Ace, cut the dose in half like you mentioned. If she is not sedate enough for you, you can increase it up to the full dose slowly to see what dose she is better on. Also, the first few times you give it, she will be more sedated. Give it for a few days and see before lowering the dose. You may find that once she is used to it, it might not sedate her as much and you may need the full dose :)

The panty hose trick is interesting. I wouldn't think it works as well as a towel, but apparently it does. I will keep that in mind.

Glad she is still doing well ;)
 
The vet recommended panty hose instead (my wife donated a pair of thigh-high hose). Son-of-a gun, it works pretty well! It's easier to hold if you tie knots into the two ends and it has some spring to it.
Excellent idea! :D
 
I'd just like to give my own personal "Thanks" to you Archer ! Your knowledge on meds and things like this are a welcome support!! :ty:
Awww, MB. Thank you!! I believe knowledge is always something to share. I feel since I am a Dobernoob, it is the one thing that I can give back to this community as it has provided me with so much over the past three years. Always willing to help in any way I can.
 
If she is gorked on Ace, cut the dose in half like you mentioned. If she is not sedate enough for you, you can increase it up to the full dose slowly to see what dose she is better on. Also, the first few times you give it, she will be more sedated. Give it for a few days and see before lowering the dose. You may find that once she is used to it, it might not sedate her as much and you may need the full dose :)

Thanks Archer! I'll follow your advice.
 
Wow I missed this until now (travelling this week) but I'm so glad she's doing well now. What a sweet little girl and you're a good Daddy.
 
Skittles Recovery Update...

Skittles had to go back into surgery this morning :oops:

Part of the repair to her knees last week was to cut some of the leg bone, lay it over and pin it in place to create a groove to better hold the ligaments in place. Skittles was a bit too active during recovery - basically just walking in the backyard on a leash - and over the course of the week the natural action of walking bent one of the pins and the bone out of place. She was in so much pain yesterday that she couldn't put the leg down on the ground.

The repair was completed without trouble this morning but, this time the repaired leg will get a splint and the vet has asked to keep her and watch her for the week. We'll certainly miss her but, I know it's the best thing for her. The poor pup doesn't do very well sitting on her bed or on the couch all day. She wants to go, go, go! This week should help the healing process get a good jump start.

Here's a picture from earlier in the week.

"Really?"

DSC_9292.webp
 
What a bummer!!! Poor sweet girl. I am sorry that she had to go through that again and that she has to be kept on bed rest. I agree the best place for her is probably at the vet.

I wish her a speedy recovery. Before you know it, she will be bouncing around without consequences ;)

Adorable photo of her....what a face!
 
What a bummer!!! Poor sweet girl. I am sorry that she had to go through that again and that she has to be kept on bed rest. I agree the best place for her is probably at the vet.

I wish her a speedy recovery. Before you know it, she will be bouncing around without consequences ;)

Adorable photo of her....what a face!


Thank you! She IS a sweet girl and makes friends every where she goes :D

We received an update this afternoon. Skittles is settling in well with the splint and her temporary home at the vet.

We're looking forward to those days she can bounce around again without a care in the world!! :)
 
Aw, poor girl! I'm sorry she had to have more surgery. Sounds like a vet stay is a good plan for her.

Love that picture! She has such a sweet face. :-)
 
Skittles came back home Friday after spending a week at the vet. She had a second surgery on her left leg and they wanted to be sure everything was going to be ok before going home. It's really refreshing, and somewhat unexpected, when doctors ask to keep the patient a while longer rather than rushing them home.

She's doing really well but, just like a 12 year old boy with an itchy cast, she can't wait to get that thing off her leg :)

:dance: Skittles loves being home and in her sunshine spot!! :dance:


DSC_9315.webp
 
She's just beautiful! And that is quite a contraption on her leg--I'd be wanting it off too. :-) So glad she's doing well.
 
Oh good!!!! So glad to hear an update and to know she is back home.

What a great picture of her, even in her cast she is such a pretty girl ;)
 
I'm so glad she's back home and doing better now! Such a pretty girl!
 

Back
Top