• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Looking to adopt a 3 year old female doberman lots of questions

I'm so sorry to hear this and I'm sure you're beyond disappointed. :( It does seem quite unfair after you were this far into the proces for them to take more applications. Many places I see have a "pending adoption" tag on their profile and that's only fair, IMO.

I'm sure the perfect one will come along for you soon.

Well today is a sad day.. I was supposed to go to my official meet and greet with Bella Friday. Even tho I met her and she had met my beagle already at their adoption event. The lady at the rescue wasn't returning my emails but the foster mom and I have been in contact since Saturday when I met her and Bella. Well I sent my 4th email to the lady in charge of adoptions today. Got a response that threw me for a loop. She said she received two new apps for Bella and they have more doberman experience so now I was pushed to 3rd in line. Not sure how that is fair when the dog has been in a foster home over a month and had no apps on her when I applied. Well I was pretty heart broken my son was so excited to go see her again and bring her home now I have to break it to him that they more or less told me they won't adopt her to me now. I went out and bought a huge dog kennel for her a pet bed. Dog food they were feeding her. Just hoping I can return everything. The foster mom is really upset she wanted her to go to me and said it is unfair the way they treated me. I'm done with them and will not support them. I did all kinds of research on the breed grew up with a doberman my grandmother had. So I don't know what more they wanted from me. You should all see I came here looking for expert opinions from doberman owners before proceeding.. Very upset. But I see the same dogs on their web site and Facebook page now I see why they don't want to adopt to good homes . so is there any doberman rescues located in PA I'm kind of sold on a dobbie and would like to give one a home that needs a home. Sorry for the long rant but I needed to vent very upset.
Well that stinks! While I will admit that you were a little premature in purchasing supplies for that specific dog before the official meet and greet, I'll also say that breed specific rescues can be freaking insane! They want what's best for the dogs they have control over and have an emotional and financial investment in, but at the same time they can have a basic hatred of humanity. They don't seem to believe that most humans are kind, intelligent, responsible, loving people who take good care of their animals. In the case of Dobermans, they look for the most breed experienced, and I wouldn't doubt that they would disregard your experience and research in favor of someone else who had equal experience but no other dogs and no children. Dobermans have some traits and quirks that other dogs might not have- most of them lovable! But it's not a dog that requires an expert handler. In short, rescues look for the home with the least chance of problems arising and don't give a rat's ass about much else. It can be the same with some breeders too.

Sorry to hear this (and I didn't get the notification, Jan...sorry I didn't see this thread!....Feel free to message me on FB if I'm not responding to something!)

For the future, yes, I've been through heartworm treatment with a dog and am always happy to answer questions about that.

OP, best of luck in finding the right dog for you.

Gosh I'm so sorry. DRU is a good one. Doberman rescue unlimited. I know of people who have adopted through them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so is there any doberman rescues located in PA I'm kind of sold on a dobbie and would like to give one a home that needs a home. Sorry for the long rant but I needed to vent very upset.

Sorry it didn't work out. Here's the link to the Delaware Valley Doberman Rescue. (Hope that's not the one that gave you a hard time!)

Delaware Valley Doberman Pinscher Assistance, Ltd.

In addition to the monthly heartworm preventative, you should also give your dog a tick preventative such as Frontline, a monthly liquid treatment, or Bravecto, a 12 week pill. This helps prevent Lyme disease. A person I train with didn't want her dog to get cancer from the Lyme preventative, so she skipped the Lyme preventative, and the dog got Lyme disease with the complication of liver necrosis.

Good luck finding your pup!

Back