Lightweight Winter Coat recommendations

Brienna

Hot Topics Subscriber
I think @Katja Henriksen will be the best bet for an answer on this but since so many others also have experience with the hurtta products, please chime in!

I want to get some "winter" gear for my two especially since Rogue has started having some of the infamous blue coat issues and her coat is very thin right now. We live in SC and rarely (if ever) get snow so i'm not sure we need something as heavy as the "hurtta winter coat" but maybe it's not as heavy as i feel like it is? I would say on average "really cold" day here, the lows are in the 20s or so but i wouldn't call that the norm. I just want something that will keep them warm when it's cool and a bit windy that they can get by with on the off chance we get a day or two of snow. They need a winter jacket as opposed to a winter coat lol!

I was thinking the waterproof fleece would work but it says those have been discontinued and the sizes are limited. The closest size is the 30" and I think that would be too big. Rogue's back measures 23" and Gambit 24" so I'm pretty sure the 30 is too big. Would they be okay in the 30" or is there another product that anyone would recommend? I'm not sure it has to be water proof. I'm looking at getting some rain coats as well since they're also on sale so I could always layer the two for added warmth and water repellent/protection.

I feel like I just typed a lot of rambling nonsense so I hope someone understands what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
The WFJ has been discontinued and the Dobie sizes are sold out :( The 30" is huge and can fit a St. Benard. They will need 24" and 26" by their measurements, which are the typical Doberman sizes.

The Frost Jacket is a lighter weight coat, but doesn't really fit the chest of a Doberman well.

My recommendation would be the Equafleece fleece sweaters, they are lighter, but keep them warm and also help wick moisture away. You can layer them under the rain coat too.

If you want something more like a coat, the Winter Coat or Summit Parka would be good too.

The Ultimate Warmer is a heavier coat with great coverage, but it sounds like you are looking for something a bit lighter.

I have all of these for my dogs and would recommend them all.

The best way to get a hold of Katja is via email as she rarely hops on here.
You can email her at [email protected]

Thank you, @Archer ! I will definitely take a look at all those suggestions. I'm not opposed to heavier coat but i'm just not sure it's needed here in SC where I live.

I think I like the idea of getting a fleece because that sounds like something they could comfortably wear around the house as well. Decisions, decisions!

NP. We love our fleece. They wear them on days where it's cold, but a coat isn't needed. They also love them as jammies :)

We received our rain coats and fleece sweaters today!! Good thing too because we had some abnormally cold weather move in last night so today and tomorrow are going to be down right chilly! (For our neck of the woods anyway) Didn't take the dobies long at all the adjust to their sweaters. Didn't try the rain coats on them yet but Wyatt wasn't too thrilled about his, lol!

I told my husband that Gambit, our fawn male, looked like he should be in a coffee shop reading poetry with that black turtle neck on, lol!

8YyquiM.jpg

6xpbD3V.jpg

YG5IlDo.jpg

We received our rain coats and fleece sweaters today!! Good thing too because we had some abnormally cold weather move in last night so today and tomorrow are going to be down right chilly! (For our neck of the woods anyway) Didn't take the dobies long at all the adjust to their sweaters. Didn't try the rain coats on them yet but Wyatt wasn't too thrilled about his, lol!

I told my husband that Gambit, our fawn male, looked like he should be in a coffee shop reading poetry with that black turtle neck on, lol!

8YyquiM.jpg

6xpbD3V.jpg

YG5IlDo.jpg
They look very styling. May I snatch a couple of the pictures for my website and FB page?
Is that Wyatt in the last picture? What breed is he? Cavalier? They get used to the coats really quickly especially if they get to go on a walk. :)

They look very styling. May I snatch a couple of the pictures for my website and FB page?
Is that Wyatt in the last picture? What breed is he? Cavalier? They get used to the coats really quickly especially if they get to go on a walk. :)

Of course you can! I'll try to take some more as well. Yes, that is Wyatt. He's a pekingese. :) He's also my biggest baby. Maybe because he was the only child for a while, lol! He'll adjust for sure!

I need the fleece jacket for my pup. I'm not sure what size to get.

Lisa Mom of 2 human children and 1 furbaby

Back