1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Identified a second genetic mutation in DCM

Discussion in 'Doberman Health and News Articles' started by GennyB, Apr 30, 2016.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'm wondering if these tests are inconclusive since I've recently heard that most Doberman's come up as positive or carriers.

I still haven't gotten around to ordering them for our dogs, but I'm wondering if I should just go the holter and EKG route instead.

2. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

JMHO, I did I order the test for both Drake and GiGi. I'll admit that I am paranoid. When I lost my beautiful red boy at 61/2, it was devastating for me. I am thinking of it as my part to help research and praying it will put my mind at ease. If there is a problem, the sooner you start treatment, the better. I want to do all I can to find some answers.
    Gigi had an echo last year that was normal. Drake had one this year that was also normal. But in reality that means nothing because normal today could change tomorrow. I want to know if there is some genes that could spell disaster for us. Not to mention GiGi has puppies out there and I'm sure there are families all over the place that will feel at least somewhat better, hopefully.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Bump...

• Like Like x 1
  4. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Thanks for bumping this @JanS cause I didn't realized that I had forgotten to update it.
    I did have both Drake and Gigi tested and they were both negative for both genes.
    The other good news is Gigi will be 9 in May and her last holter looked good also. :woot:
    So that sounds really promising. Drake's looks good too so that equals a big sigh of relief. He is at the age where I lost my boy Chaos to this dreaded disease.
    Hopefully we will be blessed with the same good news for Rumor. I have really fallen for that little girl. She added something to our life just when we needed it. So she has joined the ranks of special like so many dobermans

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  5. javinha

javinha Novitiate

I have a one year old mixed breed, who is around 37% Doberman. I had the Embark test with the health module and Koa (my one year old Dobbie mix) tested positive for the DCM2 marker. I'm devastated. Hoping that he'll be a lucky one and doesn't develop the disease. I guess I start the echo-cardiogram testing in another year.

6. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Which Positive? There are 2 of them. One is Heterozygous that they have 1 Copy of the Normal Gene and 1 Copy of the Mutated Gene. The other is Homozygous that they have 2 Copies of the Mutated Gene.

Positive does not mean they will get DCM. But having the 2 Copies of the Mutated Gene I would do early health testing. Just like Negative doesn't mean they will might never get DCM either.

But then again if you own a Dobermann early testing is a must starting at 2yrs old!

7. javinha

javinha Novitiate

Thank you. It is heterozygous. I will still follow up with my vet and see about early testing. First I was worried about DCM because of the possible linkage to grain free food, then his Embark test results showed the mutation... Thank you again for the information.

8. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Your welcome.
    What was his DCM1 (PDK4) result?

Yes at this point in time they don't know what is causing the issue in Grain Free. Personally I would not feed it. Just because Dobermans are already prone to DCM.

I would look for foods that do not have 1st of course no Corn, Wheat or Soy of any kind.
    Then look for ones that do not have any Legumes, Peas or Potatoes. Since these are the ingredients they think might be causing the DCM issue.

9. javinha

javinha Novitiate

He is free of the PDK4 mutation.

I'm not going to feed him grain free, there is no reason since he doesn't seem to have allergies to grain and the risk is too great.

Thank you so much for your feedback on this. This disease is frightening and I'll do everything I can to keep Koa healthy.

Just got the breed analysis back for Koa-- Embark has him at a bit over 60% Doberman, up quite a bit from the Wisdom Panel numbers. No matter what he is, he's a big love.

Take care.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1