1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Identified a second genetic mutation in DCM

Discussion in 'Doberman Health and News Articles' started by GennyB, Apr 30, 2016.

1. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

We are delighted to announce that we have identified a second genetic mutation in Doberman pinschers with dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) and have a new test available!

We have discovered that there are two mutations that can lead to Doberman pinscher dilated cardiomyopathy, PDK4 (NCSU DCM1) and the newly discovered NCSU DCM2. Although both PDK4 (DCM1) and DCM2 can each independently lead to the development of the disease, the risk is highest when a dog is unlucky enough to have both mutations.

We now recommend that Doberman pinschers be tested for both mutations. To order a test for this disease, click here.
    Read the rest here....
    Doberman Pinscher DCM NC State Veterinary Hospital

I for one will be watching this research closely. Drake will probably have the test they are talking about.
    Having lost my boy to this horrific disease, I will say I am a bit paranoid. It's a devastating thing and I can only hope this is as promising as it seems.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yayyyyyy !!!

3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Wow $70 per dog for both tests isn't bad at all. I'll probably be doing this sometime in the near future too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. GennyB

I've decided to do Gigi too. I think it would be good info. for her pup owner to have. It may put the owners minds at ease or give them the opportunity to give some heart supplements if it's bad news.........hope not for her, Drake or any dog really. :fingersx:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

This is great news.
    Just having a Doberman I would start supplementing at an early age.
    We already know since 2010 Yago and Stryker RIP has the PDK4. They both tested Positive for 1 copy of the normal gene and 1 copy of the mutated Gene. Also Yago is in the Occult Stage. But we are still going to get him tested for this second mutation. If anything just to further its research.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. JanS

What type of supplements are recommended for this?

7. GennyB

Heart Healthy Diet & Supplements
    Supplements doses

• CoQ10 - 120mg then 60mg daily (w food)
    • L-Carnitine - 500mg twice a day (w food)
    • Tarine - 500mg twice a day (w food)
    • Salmon oil = 1000mg twice a day (w food)
    • Potassium
    • Magnesium
    • Feed HIGH PROTEIN - A food high in protein has be recommended by some from heart studies. Solid Gold's Barking at the Moon is one with high protein (41%). It has salmon oil, fish meal, among other great ingrediedents.
    • keep dog ideal weight so moderate fat
    • L-Carnitine - helps stop cells in the heart muscle from deteriorating and aids in heart function - it is fond in animal proteins, red meats (heavy cooking can loss this nutrients) supplements can be giving 500mg per 20lb
    • Tarine - found in most animal proteins, cooking can destroy it - cook meat lightly or get supplement 500mb per 50lb
    • CoQ10 is an enzyme that helps sport hearth heath and lower blood pressre. it is also considered antioxidant in nature. 1mg per pound of body weight. There have been impressive studies with this enzyme!!!
    • Fish body oil or salmon oil contains omega 3 fatty acids
    • Give Vitamin E with the fish oil
    • Vitamin B Complex and Vitamin C help the heart - vit c is said to synthesize carnitine.
    • Do no restrict sodium unless your vet says to. This is mostly for the later stages of heart disease, or in case of certain medications.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. strykerdobe

CoQ10, L-Carnitine, D-Ribose, Taurine and Magnesium Aspratate, Vitamin E (make sure it's Complete E Full Spectrum Vitamin E with Gamma Tocopherol & Tocotrienols).

Herbs like Hawthorn are very good for the Heart.

Also Omega 3 Fish oil. Again these are not created equal. Our Holistic Vets like ones made from Anchovies, Sardines and Mackeral. Not big on Salmon. We use Nordic Naturals Omega 3 Liquid for Large to Very Large Breed Dogs. Or another one we are looking into is made by Natures Logic.
    Not all supplements are created equal. Some supplements they have found don't contain the amounts of what they say are in them.

We joined Consumer Labs. They test lots of supplements and vitamins.

For the CoQ10, L-Carnitine and Taurine we use NOW Brand. No crap in them!

We also get the L-Carnitine from NCSU. Its Pharmaceutical grade but it's $70 for 250grams. But we have dog insurance. NCSU has done lots of research on L-Carnitine. Our new Cardioligist recommended we put Yago on 6000mg a day!

The D-Ribose we use WellBodyNaturals.com it's GMO free.

These supplements will vary in amounts for dogs not diagnosed and diagnosed with DCM/CHF

I also look at what human Heart Dr's recommend for a heart patients. Humans also get DCM. A dogs Heart is very close to a Humans Heart!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JanS

Good info you two!

I wonder if Mega Red krill oil would be another good one? My triglycerides used to be WAY above the range, but the next year when I had them checked after being on the MR they were in the low end of the normal range and have stayed there since.

• Like Like x 1
  10. strykerdobe

I always look at where it says Other Ingredients and Also Contains. I look for NOT manufactured with wheat, gluten and soy. Try and get GMO Free!
    Yes I'm nutty! Lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. strykerdobe

And yes Genny B it's important for ideal weight!!!!!! Less weight puts less strain on the Heart and other Organs!

Also good Full Thyroid Levels!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. strykerdobe

Look at Other Ingredients to see if it contains Sorbitol?? Its a sugar replacement it could be bad for dogs and cats?
    Have to do more research on this one!

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. strykerdobe

Dobermann DCM on Facebook has great info. But a very sad page

14. JanS

I had to get a magnifying glass out to read the other ingredients, and it does indeed have it so thanks for the heads up.

15. strykerdobe

Maybe talk to a Vet or poison control center?

• Like Like x 1
  16. GennyB

And nothing says what's going on with the heart like an annual holter and ECHO

Here is a link to an article that was written about the time I lost my boy to this devastating disease. I remember the first time I read it and how I related to the author, just somebody that wants to help their dog diagnosed with DCM and the results of the research from wanting to know all they can.
    Trying to understand Dilated Cardiomyopathy & What to do to try and prolong life : Doberman Health Issues : DobermanData.com

• Like Like x 4
  17. strykerdobe

Tks! Lots of great info. But site needs to be updated with new info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JanS

Quick question here. My friend is going to order all 3 of the genetic tests from Vetnostic and I'm wondering if the DCM test is the same as she'd get ordering from the link posted at the top of this thread?
    VetNostic Laboratories® - Veterinary Genetic Testing - Doberman Pinscher testing

She also plans to order from the place that tests for both mutations, but I told her to hold off until I can verify that. I told her if it is the same that she could just get the other 2 genetic tests from Vetnostic and get the DCM ones through the NC State.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GennyB

She can save herself some money because she would be repeating a test. The one from Vetnostic is the same as one of them from NC state.
    I'm wondering if it is two different swabs or two tests on the same DNA sample? Of course I just had Drake on for his annual check and for got to ask my vet. I guess I'll know soon enough because I just ordered them for Drake and Gigi.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. JanS

Thanks Genny. That's what I thought but I wanted to double check. I'm going to order for our two shortly too. They've had the other two Vetnostic tests but the DCM wasn't available at that time.