Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Hans Again With Fear

Discussion in 'Senior Dobermans' started by Ingrid H, Sep 21, 2017.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's awesome Ingrid! Persistence and patience definitely pays off.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

That is so great to hear. Retraining the brain to positive reinforcement. Chicken rules! :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You are both so right. It takes so much patience and chicken never hurts ;) I can see him getting over this hurdle. I just have to take it slow and keep his experiences as positive as possible.

• Like Like x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 2
  4. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You have got this. I have no doubt you will have Hans ready to ride in no time!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

:thumbsup:

Turkey works here too;)
    And ham??!
    Since it's a bit salty I save it for when someone's being stubborn:)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I just can't believe he rejected hot dog. :screamcat:

And for chicken? :wtf2:

But seriously, I am happy to hear the progress. What a boy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You must be thrilled, @Ingrid H! Good boy Hans, that's awesome! :thumbsup:

He's associating the car with good things. Plenty of positive reinforcement. He's doing a grand job at getting over his phobia.

8. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

You don't seem to want to name names, but might that "somone" be Rocky? :rofl:

I couldn't believe that hot dog wasn't more motivational than it was either. He was extremely interested in the slicing process in the kitchen, but when it came to training time he shut down so badly that wouldn't have given caviar a sniff. He was just flattened on the ground with his head turned away wishing he could be anywhere else :(

I am thrilled for sure :thumbsup: I'm not even closing the door on the car yet. He's just jumping in and out. It was really fun yesterday. We will progress to short rides and the :devil:VET.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I can. Drake won't touch a hot dog. :rolleyes:. He won't eat fast food either. I was traveling to a dog show. We stopped at a fast food place for lunch. It was suggested we get a burger for the dogs as a treat. The other dogs gobbled it right up. Drake let the piece I gave him drop to the ground. Wouldn't touch it. Can't say I blame him.

I'm excited about the progress Hans is making. You'll be going for joy rides before you know it!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Me too!! You are doing a great job, @Ingrid H !!

• Like Like x 1
  11. JanS

Our dogs don't like hot dogs either and I can't blame them. I stopped at an A & W to grab a burger on the way to the show and left the last bite for Della. No way...

Ham is one thing Albert has a hard time resisting but like Gel said, it can be too salty to give them too much. Tuna is their absolute favorite but it's not like I'm going to start carrying that in my pocket. LOL

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Sardines! I add them to their
    meal at times and OMG they love it! A little hard to handle if trying to get a dog in a vehicle, but you can put it in a small dish? Neither one of mine would resist! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think we should listen to them. It seems our dogs have an adversity to processed food.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I had seen a Dobe video where the dog was crazy about hamburgers from McDonald's. He would literally begin his whining when his owner entered the drive through. He would get restless and pace in the car. She ordered 2 and the dog just scarfed them down.

I'm not keen on giving hot dogs to K but his previous trainer did that and she found dogs to be highly responsive to it. I switched him out to a non processed cheese instead. Still a smelly treat but better for him. On the other hand, there is ME who just has to have a few hot dogs during BBQ season. Can't quit some of my childhood comfort foods and hot dogs are definitely one! :laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Over the weekend Kaiser sampled a baked dog biscuit made with lemon and lavender. The other Dobes didn't like it and I said K will eat anything give it to him. He took it into his mouth and spit it back out lol. They definitely know what they don't like!

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. JanS

Thankfully McDonald's food is another thing ours won't touch. :wtf3: Someone at work insisted I take a sausage biscuit so I hid it in my cooler and offered some to the dogs when I got home and they turned their nose up just as much as me.

• Like Like x 1