Flint's ears

StateOfMine

Hot Topics Subscriber
IMG_20230923_190136_794.jpg

They look huge on him lol I know he's got a pocket in that left ear but I think that will be an easy fix. If anyone has suggestions or comments I'd love to read them. Is a bumper better or should I just leave one post longer than necessary to help weigh it down? Or both? The other one stands nicely. I know the suggestion was to let them stand at "10 and 2" or "11 and 1". I'd like for them to be as straight up and down as possible and look rigid when he's alert.

I might go with the "11 and 1" positions. Would that cause issues at this point? Also... he will grow into those ears i am assuming, because they look huge lol

That looks to be a long crop, please read and re-read/watch the videos on posting with backer rod in the pinned puppy threads. That will help you more than anything. These need a lot of support, I'd def go with backer rod method. Show us your posting work and then we can help you correct it from there. I wouldn't try to pull them tight together at this point since he is tending toward a pocket already - that comes from the ear leaning in. If you use a bridge, don't pull it tight.

I don't have the experience that others here have, so that's just my initial thoughts. Someone else may pop in with better details.

I'd like for them to be as straight up and down as possible and look rigid when he's alert.
They will all do that if your total posting job is successful. The inborn conformation of the dog - where his ears naturally come out of his head is what makes some ears go more to the outside than straight up. Flint doesn't seem to have that, his ears are naturally going straight up. You now have to commit to posting at least through his 6th or 7th month without leaving them down for more than 15 or 20 minutes between posts.

I love his intelligent eye expression! What a bright boy he looks to be!

How old is little Flint?

Is a bumper better or should I just leave one post longer than necessary to help weigh it down?
If he was older, around 6-9months and his ears has demonstrated good individual ear strength…I would say let them ride. The older stronger ears have the ability to straighten out on their own with a pocket.

But he looks pretty young so I would post a bumper in that ear.

The other one stands nicely. I know the suggestion was to let them stand at "10 and 2" or "11 and 1". I'd like for them to be as straight up and down as possible and look rigid when he's alert.

IMO, this seems to be a misconceived concept. Tbh, I don’t think posting them any more vertical from 10/2 or 11/1 makes the difference on how more vertical or erect they will be.

On my first Doberman, I was determined to have the 90dg erect ears. I was so OCD about it that if it looked anything less than 90dgs, I reposted him regardless if the post needed it or not. That created a lot of work and anxiety on my part, let alone making Ragnar uncomfortable. Then my second Doberman, I posted casually at 10/2 and 11/1 with the bridge. The bridge came off as soon as I saw Freyja pulling ears up/in with slack in the middle tape.

Both Ragnar’s and Freyja’s ear turned out perfectly.

I believe posting the ears in position is important but gaining individual ear control is more important. Posting a structured 90dg position does not allow for the ability for the ear muscles to get strong and pull to 90. It seems to only create issues with pockets.

And be mindful that the ears will not always be at a vertical position. A Doberman’s ears have many different positions from high alert to scan/observe to just casual.

There are many different views on this topic. I’ve heard some breeders post at 90 with a bridge through 6months….This is just my 2cents.

Ragnar’s ears at high alert
IMG_0041.jpegIMG_0049.jpeg

Freyja alert
IMG_0144.jpegIMG_0050.jpeg

Scan/alert
IMG_0017.jpegIMG_0056.jpeg

Casual
IMG_0082.jpegIMG_0125.jpeg

And….it will be interesting to see how those big ears of Flint grow and shape as he matures. What you see now is not what they will be in 1-2yrs so you have a beautiful surprise coming!

It absolutely amazes me how these straight triangle goofy ears….
IMG_0011.jpegIMG_0014.jpeg

Turned into these ears of character with a flip.
IMG_0091.jpegIMG_0052.jpeg

How old is little Flint?

He is 3 months old today. We just had a blast outside with puppy safe bacon bubbles. He's inside now and down for a nap (me too shortly). I'll be posting tonight with my husband's help, since its definitely a 2 person job still right now. I have seen many ways to post ears so I will try to stick with one method that seems to work. I'll definitely be correcting that pocket. He is very young still so I'm confident I have time to fix it. Thank you guys for the input!

I actually never thought I'd want a longer crop but his dad's ears looked so nice with his face and his body that I actually decided to give it a try. Regardless, I'm in it for the long haul now!

View attachment 138305

They look huge on him lol I know he's got a pocket in that left ear but I think that will be an easy fix. If anyone has suggestions or comments I'd love to read them. Is a bumper better or should I just leave one post longer than necessary to help weigh it down? Or both? The other one stands nicely. I know the suggestion was to let them stand at "10 and 2" or "11 and 1". I'd like for them to be as straight up and down as possible and look rigid when he's alert.

I might go with the "11 and 1" positions. Would that cause issues at this point? Also... he will grow into those ears i am assuming, because they look huge lol
If you're wanting straight up, you might want to start to bridge and 11 and 1... and pull them closer together, gradually. I would definitely use a bumper.

20230926_030241.jpg

Okay this is what I finally managed to do. It does fall forward when he looks down but the bridge the vet made did too. This is my first attempt. My husband did the bridge. Its backer rod with duct tape on it to keep it rigid. I tried to use minimal tape.

The left post is longer on purpose to correct the pocket hopefully

View attachment 138397

Okay this is what I finally managed to do. It does fall forward when he looks down but the bridge the vet made did too. This is my first attempt. My husband did the bridge. Its backer rod with duct tape on it to keep it rigid. I tried to use minimal tape.

The left post is longer on purpose to correct the pocket hopefully
Looks good. Love the donut 🙂

I wouldn't use a stiff bridge. The purpose is so they won't fall out sideways, but can use their muscles to pull them up erect. With a set bridge like that how can he learn to pull his ears together?

That’s a great job!! Looks fantastic.

As Ravenbird said…you can get rid of the hard bridge and replace with just two strands of tape sticking together.

Looks good! I agree to use a tape bridge. You can also put the bridge lower so less likely to get hung up on something and then some of the ear will be exposed to the air too.

Is he messing with the ears to need the donut? I wouldn't be able to help myself with a cute picture like that though. :D

Thank you guys! I actually didn't know that about the bridge. Its an easy fix though it sounds like. Flint actually fell asleep in my husband's lap while we were posting. He's very good about holding still for us.

Looks good. Love the donut 🙂
Thank you! I saw it among the plain ones and couldn't resist.

Looks good! I agree to use a tape bridge. You can also put the bridge lower so less likely to get hung up on something and then some of the ear will be exposed to the air too.

Is he messing with the ears to need the donut? I wouldn't be able to help myself with a cute picture like that though. :D

He did occasionally try to scratch them out. I took it off so he could sleep comfortably and it hasn't been a problem after the initial placement.

I will fix the bridge after he wakes up. My husband and I played with him for about 3 or 4 hours before we started posting so he was pretty wiped by the end of it. I'll let him wake up on his own today (I'm paranoid as a new pup parent so I was waking him every 3 hours or so to pee but I've seen him hold it while he sleeps for 5 hours at a time sometimes).

Flint actually fell asleep in my husband's lap while we were posting. He's very good about holding still for us.
That is what makes the posting experience so great! People were always amazed to see my puppy, in the middle of a loud dog show environment, calmly laying or sleeping on my lap while I posted his ears back up! They always asked, what did you do to get him to be like that? :woot2::D You're doing good!

20230928_010549.jpg

No bridge! I have a treat so he is paying attention with his ears up. I do notice a slight bend in the base of the ears though. Do the ears need to be perfectly cup shaped all of the time? Do I need to redo anything?

Looks good to me! Great job on doing them on your own! If his ears get tired you may need to go down a size in backer rod but looks like he is holding them up well.

Start working on those nails too! Start now and you can work on one paw at a time and work your way up to all 4. Have lots of treats and when it comes to nail time in the future they'll be excited to have their nails done and lay calmly. My girl is the "worst" of my 3 because I didn't really work on hers starting slow every day like I did with my two boys. They are a dream to do! She tolerates it but "fights" me by pulling back often. The boys are so relaxed! Having nails touch the floor affects their posture too and how they stand.

If his ears get tired you may need to go down a size in backer rod but looks like he is holding them up well.

Start working on those nails too!

I am using 1/2" backer rod. Is that the appropriate size? His nails will be getting done Saturday so I have help. I use a nail grinder. We did it about two weeks ago (I know it should be a weekly thing but things have been very chaotic this month) and I'm always paranoid about overdoing it and hitting the quick.

Your post job looks great!
I am using 1/2" backer rod. Is that the appropriate size?
Yes I start out with 1/2" and move up to 5/8" when they start to get bigger. He's a cute guy!

So I took his posts out to let them rest and air out for a day and I noticed that the ear that was standing very well in the first photo now hangs. The ear with the pocket now stands straight up before flopping sideways. Does Flint need a bridge after all or did I mess something up? He usually lets them hang sideways like little snail eyeballs with his posts in unless something catches his attention, like a treat or a barking dog. I thought that was normal. He is almost 13 weeks old.

Back