My dobies right ear still won’t stand

Katmendoza93

Novitiate
Hello, I have an 11 month old dobie whose right ear stops standing after a while. I’m just about to give up. Back in December the vet told me that it could be because she was about to get her first heat? Which didn’t make sense to me. Anyway she just finished her first heat and her ear still flops. Her surgery was back in august and her ear posting started in September. She will sometimes make it stand up if she’s in alert or randomly it will stand but I don’t know what to do anymore. Her other ear is doing great. Also I try to just use tape on that right ear to make it stand but she will scratch it off after a few hours. She’ll be one year May 6. Should I just keep post both ears? And if so for how long? 😫Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Also she has the show crop. image.jpgIMG_3854.jpegIMG_3825.jpegIMG_3505.jpeg

Welcome to Doberman Chat, what a beautiful girl you have!

I'm trying to do a little math - This is April so if she's 11 months old she was born in March, but didn't have her ears cropped until August? About 5 months old? Correct me if I'm misunderstanding. This is considered a very late start, usually they are done at about 10 weeks old, 12 weeks is running late and most vets won't crop much later than that. At any rate, I'm going to say they look fantastic if you didn't even crop until 5 months of age! The right ear has a fold where the cartilage is weak or "broken". Many times this happens if you quit posting too early, and especially if they sleep on the folded ear. How long has she been out of posts? You can continue posting for another couple of months, not leaving that ear out of posts for more than 30 minutes or an hour. It may set the cartilage proper or it may not if it's too late. You can only try.

I have to say she is a beautiful girl with a beautiful crop- I love that style.

So basically….
If you choose to quit posting then most likely it will flop. Your persistence and tenacity on this is going to be the difference maker.

If the ear has a crease and the cartilage is broken, then I would say yeah the ear is not standing. But you say the ear stands, then gets tired and falls. So the ear is capable of standing.

I would do EVERYTHING to get the ear to stand…you say she scratches out the tape- don’t let her- period. Have you used BreatheRite strips? I would put her on a leash and be by my side for 48-72-100hrs if necessary and make damn sure the ear stays standing.

With it being 11months, it’s harder to conquer but I still think it’s in your control, you just have to be diligent and make it happen.

I would keep going since they stand sometimes and many people do have to go past a year to get them standing strong.

I'm trying to do a little math - This is April so if she's 11 months old she was born in March, but didn't have her ears cropped until August? About 5 months old? Correct me if I'm misunderstanding. This is considered a very late start, usually they are done at about 10 weeks old, 12 weeks is running late and most vets won't crop much later than that. At any rate, I'm going to say they look fantastic if you didn't even crop until 5 months of age! The right ear has a fold where the cartilage is weak or "broken". Many times this happens if you quit posting too early, and especially if they sleep on the folded ear. How long has she been out of posts? You can continue posting for another couple of months, not leaving that ear out of posts for more than 30 minutes or an hour. It may set the cartilage proper or it may not if it's too late. You can only try.

She was born may 6 2023 she was about to be 4months when she got her ears cropped

She was born may 6 2023 she was about to be 4months when she got her ears cropped
oops, sorry, my math went backwards instead of forward a month. But @JanS is right, even 4 months is pushing it. I do believe that crease can be fixed though with strict posting. Commit to it and let us know the results. Fingers crossed for you & your gorgeous girl!

She is beautiful :hearteyes:. Keep posting, as @JanS said; it can sometimes take longer than a year if you have a weaker ear. Just post the one if the other is strong. Be dilligent, you will be happy you did!

Hello, I have an 11 month old dobie whose right ear stops standing after a while. I’m just about to give up. Back in December the vet told me that it could be because she was about to get her first heat? Which didn’t make sense to me. Anyway she just finished her first heat and her ear still flops. Her surgery was back in august and her ear posting started in September. She will sometimes make it stand up if she’s in alert or randomly it will stand but I don’t know what to do anymore. Her other ear is doing great. Also I try to just use tape on that right ear to make it stand but she will scratch it off after a few hours. She’ll be one year May 6. Should I just keep post both ears? And if so for how long? 😫Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Also she has the show crop. View attachment 145528View attachment 145525View attachment 145526View attachment 145527
I feel your pain. I have a 10-month old Dobie and your description is spot on!! And it's even his right ear! It's sooo frustrating. I'm going to keep posting as prescribed by other members in the forum. Hopefully it will strengthen and permanently stand on it's on. Keep the fight!!!

Back