Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

FastCat

Discussion in 'Other K-9 Shows and Events' started by Panama, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Fortunatley, it's not something you have to be there ALL DAY for. They usually have a run in the am & pm. There has to be at least 1 hour between runs.

I would recommend some warm up running and stretching. Even if it's just throwing the ball or frisbee.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  2. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Those are some really awesome shots! Definitely frame worthy. I’ve heard of fast cat from the Shepherd forums but always thought the Doberman would be king. Rio is fast, but he’s still slightly behind Brinks. Those long legs and lean muscle eats up the ground!

I can only imagine how fast he would run if he was chasing something. This dog will chase anything let alone a “furry critter”! Thanks for sharing and shedding light on the sport.

3. Diane Law

Diane Law Hot Topics Subscriber

Looks like fun !

4. Panama

Holy smokes!!! I just looked at the Rankings and so far this year, top speed is held by a female 30.08 mph

• Wow x 6
  5. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Thanks for posting this, I had never heard about it. I just contacted the closest club and am hoping to participate in their event in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Keep us posted on this!

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Panama

It's a rush! You're gonna love it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Contacted a local clubs president who hosts these events. I sent Rex’s registration number in today, if everything goes to plan he will be running in November.

However, I have already started training for endurance and speed. Parachute resistance training, weight vest and 100 yard sprints. Along with supplements and such. Really excited about this. Hoping to get into the top 25 for speed.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Panama

They need 3 runs to be added to the list. Most clubs do 2 runs a day. Make sure you have someone he knows at the other end as your "catcher".

• Like Like x 3
  10. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

My friend who wants to take her dog to a FastCat in August wanted me to go so I could release her. She thought it would be better for her to be on the catch end. What do you think? Her dog didn't want to give up that plastic bag in lure coursing until it was good and dead (hadn't moved). She has very high prey drive and wasn't about to just be collared and led away before she was sure the bag was done! She let her settle for a good 30 seconds to 1 minute over the dead, non-moving lure before she could begin to get the collar on. Can you offer suggestions and to @Antman408 too, about hints for good release and good catch? Timing is not involved in either, I'm assuming the clock starts after you release and stops before you catch? Lure course started and ended where the handler could do both catch & release, but FastCat will need two people, so I'm glad they got a start on Lure Course to give the dog a learning experience.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Panama

There are two poles, once they break the plain of the first pole, the timer starts. When the pass the 2nd pole, timer stops.

If you can hold the dog at the start line (front feet must be on the line)...because as soon as the instructor at the start line yells "TALLY HO"... it's game on! That's when the lure starts. I would let the owner catch.

If they've done Lure Coursing, they probably know the kind of lead or collar to use for release. Make sure they explain that to you. You don't want anything to slow or interfere with the dog's take off.

The ones we've been to, the lure goes off to the dog's left at the end into kind of a catch pen (away from the exit opening).

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

I've googled it and we don't have fastcat events here in Australia! :complain:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  13. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Member

Thanks @Panama - yes we have a slip collar that just falls away for release (that's a nifty invention!) I can't wait to play this game in August, and then eventually with my future Done! You've been really helpful!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Neither do we :(

• Empathetic Empathetic x 2
  15. Panama

Aren't you in the UK?

16. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes! I couldn’t see anything through the kennel club :scratch:

17. Panama

Their big thing is Fly Ball

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. IslandDobeMix

IslandDobeMix New Member

Wow!! I’ve never heard of this but it looks so fun for the dogs and the spectators. The photos are great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Panama

And it open to most dogs as long as they have one of the following;

20. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

Ok, so I printed out the premium, easy enough.

It will probably be just me going. Are there people available to hold your dog at the start line to release them? I assume I would still be the catcher but I imagine once Rubie see's that plastic bag zooming back and forth a couple of times, she'll be all in!

Also, I read through the rules but can't really determine what a qualifying score is? Or is it pretty much all runs are Qualifying scores and you just need to accumulate points to earn Titles? Do they award top runs per height? Just want to make sure I understand so I don't fudge anything up.

Unfortunately I think we'll only be able to do just one run but it will be fun to try something new!

Also, I see it's limited to 75 runs per 'test' (a morning and afternoon test). That seems very small and like they would zoom through each test pretty quick? I see they break for lunch between and the first test starts at 8am. It's about 1.5hr drive for us so don't want to under calculate what time we should get there like I did with our agility trial this past weekend :woot2:

• Like Like x 1