Ear Posting Trouble (Newbie)

joeknowsbest

Novitiate
Hey all, so I hate to be that guy beating a dead horse as i'm sure these questions have been asked 100 times.

But I recently got my first Doberman "Senna" (European/American Mix, 15 Weeks old now)
This is my first time dealing with cropped ears and the whole posting thing.
Her crop (I was told by the breeder) is somewhere between a medium and show crop.

So I have 2 main questions (Naturally she's like my child already so overly protective and worried i'm sure!)

1. I removed her posts (from the breeder) for the first time Sunday, to find a couple little scabs and a small sore in her inner ear. The sore has since healed up, however the tips of each ear are still scabbed up. So i've been trying to tape (Backer rod method) up to the tip and leave just the tip of the ear out to heal up and breath. However I notice the tips are ever so slightly curling outward from the post.
Should I worry about this, or just give her a few more days to heal up and then wrap a little higher?

2. While i'm getting better, no matter what I do she shakes like hell and manages to get a post out every 24 hours or so. I'm currently using paper tape, I purchased J&J Zonas Porus tape, but found it doesn't hold at all. The J&J paper tape holds, but I feel like i'm putting too much tape on. I see posts where people use 1-2 pieces of tape, but when I post her if I don't cover majority of the ear the post is out in minutes. Does this look correct, or any recommendations to try to keep the posts in for more than a day at a time?

I ordered Torbot adhesive and unisolve to try to use that and maybe not have to rely on the tape as much.

Also do you think she needs a bridge? She's gone through 3-4 posts with the breeder with a bridge. When I add a bridge she seems to be able to get them out ever easier! She seems to be able to hold them straight up and down when alert without the bridge, otherwise they rest at a 10/2 or maybe a little lower.

Again sorry for the long post and probably being all over the place (Haven't slept much this first week). But any advice is appreciated!
My local vets checked out her ears for me, but unfortunately none of them will post for me stating its inhumane... my vet actually told me "Her ears seem to stand as is now, so why even put them back up"...

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 24
It looks like you're doing a good job with posting but if she's shaking them out, they need to be pushed farther into the canal. They can't go too deep the way the ear canal is shaped so really pull up on the ear and push the post in as far as you can get it.
So you would tape over the tips even while they're scabbed up like they are right now?
I would leave it the way you have it until they're healed.

So you would tape over the tips even while they're scabbed up like they are right now?
No let the fear heal but when you go back to posting you only need a piece of tape at the base and at the tip. No need to tape the entire ear. This lets the ear breath a bit better and makes for quicker changing

Welcome and congrats!

Those vets are morons.

I agree that if the tips need a bit of healing, leave them untaped for now.

Totally agree that it's vital to get the posts nice and deeply set into the ear bells. Pull up on the ears as you apply the tape.

If you do use a bridge, place it down at skull level. Much less likely to get caught on stuff that way.

Zonas tape does work. It indeed exhibits low stickiness at first, but it gets better. Do not let it get wet though, as it is said that it can tighten up as a result. I use Zonas to wrap my knuckles, and it does seem to tighten up after wet, so be careful about that.

Ask away! We are not the kind of place that tends to say "just go look it up."

Speaking for myself here: I am very pro-crop and believe that eventually the right will be stripped from us; so I like to offer as much help and support as possible!

Hello I have problems with my Doberman ears she is 6 months old . I have ear break in just the middle of the ear. If I put tape there they are standing for 2 days long but if not they get floppy
On the other side one day I noticed that her right ear bending inward like the first photo you think it’s ear pocket?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• C8F43EAE-8887-4444-95DF-598333587BE1.png
    C8F43EAE-8887-4444-95DF-598333587BE1.png
    702.6 KB · Views: 39
  • B0127BF4-35C8-4DE9-9421-1FF81D44DE0C.jpeg
    B0127BF4-35C8-4DE9-9421-1FF81D44DE0C.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 45960CE0-3134-4491-ABE1-1FDC77F60765.jpeg
    45960CE0-3134-4491-ABE1-1FDC77F60765.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 38
Hello I have problems with my Doberman ears she is 6 months old . I have ear break in just the middle of the ear. If I put tape there they are standing for 2 days long but if not they get floppy
On the other side one day I noticed that her right ear bending inward like the first photo you think it’s ear pocket?
Welcome!

There isn't a pocket there and they actually look pretty good. They still need a lot more constant posting because I can see that the cartilage is not fully formed yet and they need support at that stage.

You just have to keep posting. You’ve went this far, don’t get lazy and waste all that hard work.

On my first Doberman I posted until 7.5 months- my second Doberman until 8 months.

And make sure you don’t leave them out of post longer than an hour during cleaning and change. Clean/change and get the ears right back into post.

Good Luck!

I used to post with tampons but after 3 days the tampon is popping out of the base of the ear. Now I am trying the zip tie method half post I am
Not posting the base because she is scratching that area I am using bridge also what’s your opinion ?

I did not use the zip tie but in theory, you are not having issues with the base or bell of the ears. Then using wrapped up zip ties, to the tips of ears, should do the job.

At 6months I would expect that you should no longer need the bridge. Most of us discard the bridge after a couple of months.

I think you just need to be diligent and keep the ears up in post without testing them too much. The issues that I hear of is owners post some and then think it’s okay to take the post out. The ears look good for a couple of days and then bend or break. When this happens, it significantly sets the ears back in time and cartilage maturation. The owner then does it again and the cycle gets longer and worse…..Owner gets lazy and the Doberman gets aggravated. You now have a flopped crop.

Stay the road man….

Thanks in advance
Still more time to post, 6 months is really the earliest some are lucky to stop having to post. Your girl's ears are definitely not ready. I see another two months honestly, since they are still bending and sagging from the middle. You really need to pull the ears up high and tight to get that saggy wrinkle out and keep the tips from curling. Testing them at this stage will set you back. I didn't test my girls but did have to take them down for 6-8 hrs for shows. That and thicker ear leather, we weren't done until 10-11months. So it does set you back, even if only out for a few hours!! So don't leave them out for days at the stage you are at. Keep going!

Hey all, so I hate to be that guy beating a dead horse as i'm sure these questions have been asked 100 times.

But I recently got my first Doberman "Senna" (European/American Mix, 15 Weeks old now)
Her crop (I was told by the breeder) is somewhere between a medium and show crop.

So I have 2 main questions (Naturally she's like my child already so overly protective and worried i'm sure!)

1. I removed her posts (from the breeder) for the first time Sunday, to find a couple little scabs and a small sore in her inner ear. The sore has since healed up, however the tips of each ear are still scabbed up. So i've been trying to tape (Backer rod method) up to the tip and leave just the tip of the ear out to heal up and breath. However I notice the tips are ever so slightly curling outward from the post.
Should I worry about this, or just give her a few more days to heal up and then wrap a little higher?

2. While i'm getting better, no matter what I do she shakes like hell and manages to get a post out every 24 hours or so. I'm currently using paper tape, I purchased J&J Zonas Porus tape, but found it doesn't hold at all. The J&J paper tape holds, but I feel like i'm putting too much tape on. I see posts where people use 1-2 pieces of tape, but when I post her if I don't cover majority of the ear the post is out in minutes. Does this look correct, or any recommendations to try to keep the posts in for more than a day at a time?

I ordered Torbot adhesive and unisolve to try to use that and maybe not have to rely on the tape as much.

Also do you think she needs a bridge? She's gone through 3-4 posts with the breeder with a bridge. When I add a bridge she seems to be able to get them out ever easier! She seems to be able to hold them straight up and down when alert without the bridge, otherwise they rest at a 10/2 or maybe a little lower.

Again sorry for the long post and probably being all over the place (Haven't slept much this first week). But any advice is appreciated!
My local vets checked out her ears for me, but unfortunately none of them will post for me stating its inhumane... my vet actually told me "Her ears seem to stand as is now, so why even put them back up"...
Yes I also agree too much tape let breathe. Just went my Raven's rabies shot today and took out posts for vet to see. All well 16 wkz this Friday.

Also do you think she needs a bridge? She's pon le ghthgone through 3-4 posts with the breeder with a bridge. When I add a bridge she seems to be able to get them out ever easier! She seems to be able to hold them straight up and down when alert without the bridge, otherwise they rest at a 10/2 or maybe a little lower.

CUTE puppy but yes way too much tape, u do want air in to keep their from perspiring. Her ears will flop until sometime after teething depending upon length and her cartilage. Had 2 dobies before here's my 15 wk old took out post for rabies shot this AM will now repost. good luck.

Attachments

• 20210810_075645.jpg
    20210810_075645.jpg
    483.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210810_075650.jpg
    20210810_075650.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 12
Hello again I asked 2 months ago about my dobermans ears . This is the result of consistent posting. What do you think they need correction? Maybe a bit more close the ears it’s other? Use a bridge? Or it’s ok?
thank you.

Attachments

• FFD56686-A145-4418-8FE7-8AFFB4A5FFBD.jpeg
    FFD56686-A145-4418-8FE7-8AFFB4A5FFBD.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 29
Dude….those ears look great!!

So she is 8months now? They look strong with no falter. You can most prob leave them be and they are done.

I do not think any corrections need to be made. No way would I put a bridge on her. I know what you are thinking….you want them more erect and towards the middle. I thought the same thing when mine were coming out of posts. It really all depends on them learning to control and move there ears to sounds. Her ears will position more towards midline as she grows older. At least, that’s what mine did

This is what my male looked like younger just getting out of posts:

D61D2F82-225E-4BF8-A4B7-2873AEC689FB.jpeg

This is my male at 2, female is prob 8months.
10F79E48-ECC2-48A7-951B-A508AA32DEDC.jpeg

Yup they look great! I personally don't care for them too straight up since they're more supposed to have a slight angle like the photo above.

Back