Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Ear posting tips needed

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by My2Dobies, Jan 7, 2019.

1. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

For a long show the 1/2 would be the way to go. My male has a long show crop. I use gorilla duct tape and leave about a 1/4 inch of the rod showing then I take a cotton round and cut it into a rectangle and tape it over the foam at the end, then I back tape with Kendall tape and then wrap the outer part with Johnson zonas

2. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@My2Dobies this is a rough drawing of an ear anatomy for you. (I do mean rough sketch. Lol)
    DAA6F33F-8F1A-40F5-B86D-CEAFE283C5E1.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 2
    • Wow x 1
  3. My2Dobies

My2Dobies Hot Topics Subscriber

OMG! Thank you so much. I am a very visual learner, and this really helps. I also spent a few minutes peering and poking in to her ears.

@Ares, thank you. I’ve already prepped these 5/8 posts tonight.

Ok, I’m going in.

• Like Like x 3
  4. crypticintent

crypticintent Hot Topics Subscriber

You got this! Your excitement has definitely increased and the dog will feed on that energy.

Let us know how it went.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

In fact, when I clean my Dobe's ears, I dip a Qtip in rubbing alcohol and get it right on down in there and work it around. It doesn't hurt them. My current boy, Oji, who is tough as nails when it counts, is sensitive about being handled (despite my efforts since young puppyhood). So I first clean the ears up higher with one end of the Qtip to sort of ease him into it, them flip the Qtip and go on down including all the way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome back! I'm so sorry to hear that. May they RIP :sorrow:.

Welcome little Lexi. We need some pics. ;)

That's the only reason I have ever experienced the post coming out. To get it deep enough try this...

I had trouble with backer rod breaking when I was posting my girl. I think I figured out it was because it was old. I bought some at a different store and the texture was different (seemed softer and more flexible) and it worked like a charm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Are the posts getting bent? Probably not, as I imagine you would mention that if they were; but Little Oji was a fiend in terms of bending his posts by laying on them. With Oji, I wonder if it had to do with how he likes to lay. To this day, most of the time he is laying down, his ear is folded under. He tends to like to rub his head forward on the rug and snuggle into position. It's amazing his ears managed to stand with how often the posts got bent. At one point I had 6 layers of duct tape on the posts and they still bent. Bent posts can lead to them popping out.

8. My2Dobies

upload_2019-1-9_11-44-11.jpeg

Little Lexi on her first morning here, Dec 5.

upload_2019-1-9_11-45-17.jpeg

upload_2019-1-9_11-45-45.jpeg

Sleepy Lexi last night before we posted.

The ear anatomy diagram from @Tropicalbri REALLY helped me; maybe someone with better tech-skills can attach that to the video that’s on here. I think I’ve been putting the bottom of the posts in the wrong place this whole time! Last night, I carried the back-tape down a bit further, made the posts a bit longer, and stuck them in the right place. I also only used the two pieces of tape, top and bottom. While she still shook and scratched some, we distracted her until bedtime. She definitely didn’t go as nuts trying to dislodge them (maybe because they are more comfy now that I put them in the right place?). So far, so good; although we’ve made it this far before. Keeping my fingers crossed!

@Oji: while she would bend them a little when scraping her head on her bed, they were just flexible enough so that they only really bent at the “naked” bottom of the rod, which would help them pop out. But again, none of that so far this time.

I’m hoping that we’ve discovered the secrets; but if not, at least I know I’m on the right track.

Thanks again to everyone who took time to chime in!

• Like Like x 5
  9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You hit the nail on the head there. If they aren't in far enough it could be uncomfortable so they will try to get them out any way they can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. My2Dobies

Ok, so we passed our first 24 hour mark! They are still in the right place and looking good. Hooray!

And, she’s leaving them alone 99.9% of the time!

I’m thrilled. Thank y’all so much,

• Like Like x 7
  11. crypticintent

That is awesome.

12. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hot damn...

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Tropicalbri's

Glad to read this!!

14. Ddski5

@My2Dobies

Are you close to College Station or Plano??

We will be heading there for soccer this season.

15. crypticintent

@Ddski5 thats a pretty wide disparity to be traveling for soccer.

16. Tropicalbri's

17. Ddski5

Yeah, we will be doing ALOT of traveling this year.

18 and 16 year old is playing Comp1 soccer so there will be in-state games as well as Mississippi, Ala, Ga, Memphis and Florida.

13 year old made the state select Olympic developmental program (ODP) so along with playing stated above Gulf Coast states, she will be playing a lot in Texas and then to Regional tryouts in Montevallo, Ala. for the Regional Olympic squad.

Texas usually kicks our butt but it’s really good training and competition.
    1/25-27 College Station
    5/31-6/2 Houston Dynamo area
    6/7-9 Plano

My two oldest are decent players that can hold their own. My 13y/o is good and may have a chance for the Regional squad. Needs to put more muscle/meat on her bones, too light in the ass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  18. My2Dobies

We actually are in Plano. Would love to come watch some good soccer. My oldest twins were soccer superstars through about 12 years old, when they switched to football.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steveh0429

Steveh0429 Hot Topics Subscriber

Wrap the backer rods inside out with tape so that it sticks to each other and it sticks to the ear itself.then wrap the ears and tapes on the outside and put a bridge between the two ears with tape. You can buy adhesive remover that's not harmful to the dogs ears I went through the same thing. It's not much fun but it worked out well for me and Rudy.
    Best of luck

20. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

We just moved from Southlake to NoVA and are counting the days till we move back to TX.

• Like Like x 1