DPCA drama

Hmmm. This seems kind of...odd to me.

Mullen is sharing her opinions in a private setting. No different than a group of folks getting together in person to watch the livestream in the family room. I'd sure like to listen in and learn.

I have no dog in this fight but a quick search shows;
Mullens has been a breeder, some winning dogs, AKC judge, written a book on conformation...but she is not the judge in the ring...whose decision is final, amiright?

So, What am I missing?

This seems weirdly censorious to me.

Like a group of guys watching a ball game in the sportsbar but no one is allowed to make a comment, or the tv volune has to be turned down...Boy ESPN would be out of business in a day!

@Doc imagine watching Nascar..."no color commebtary from the pits!"

Or @Oh Little Oji watching UFC... "no ring girls!"

Yet another way to stomp out interest in the breed amongst younger folks.

Sheesh.
I like the OG german approach- Tom Rose described in an interview by Nate Schoemer
Tom was saying how
- back in the day dog sport was a fun family event, people with no dogs can come and hangout in the clubhouse, have a beer...watch the competitions."


Personally, I appreciate reading or hearing frank, even strongly differing opinions, and especially from someone who knows a lot about the topic, without the stupid politics I read about ringside.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2175.webp
    IMG_2175.webp
    113.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It seems like a mistake to react this way. If the "Online Live " judging is fair and sincere who loses?
I think it would attract more people to these events and help make a better understanding to what we are looking at in the ring at this level of competition where all competitors are looking for improvement.
Most are familiar with the big shows where all the competitors are at the top level and distinguishing between dogs is very difficult for the untrained eyes.
 
Hmmm. I completely agree with @BGpa, some really good comparisons made…and seems to me that whomever more or less doesn’t want Mullen critiquing their Dobermans. Some personal drama amongst the Nobles?? I never did like all that private club bullshite.
 
Ya, gotta wonder as I cant come up with a good answer from a business case:

Maybe cost of gas,
and UDC dropping out,

-means those needing to make money in the confo show ecosystem are fearful of anything that takes eyeballs away? Foot traffic?

Maybe a Zoom discussion is a threat to all that...somehow, as in the past where some social media platforms try to suppress or block links going off site. That never works long term.

I get that short term mindset but with social media and AI that genie is out of the bottle...
IMG_2366.webp
I also cant imagine any serious legit breeder that put all the effort in time and $$$ into showing would flounce off if they dont get their way ...unless ...hmmmm.

So, again: The Board saying in effect "we wanted to live stream but some of our exhibitors and breeders threatened to take their football and go home!" is just odd.
🥸🤷🏻‍♂️

But then again I am just some guy in the peanut gallery.

Anyway from the cheap seats here tryna learn:
I sure would have liked to watch Schoeneman run the WAE...

Maybe the show site location will offer up stuff later:
Or the subcontractor on videos can release stuff after its done:
The official photographer is a celebrity from his own dobes in past-

One positive I note about DPCA they do platform some really useful educational content, including at their youtube channel:


You just have to be patient for it to be served up, later.
 
Last edited:
Ok, looks like video will be delayed to Nov3.
And spendy...so anything real time live streaming would conceivably threaten that profit motive.


Andddd...I've wasted enough time on this...show dog stuff.

time for a dog walk and surf retrieves at low tide/sunset, get our steps in....
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2367.webp
    IMG_2367.webp
    88.7 KB · Views: 1
That's all BS but I can either wait or watch videos from friends attending it.
 
Thanks @remy

For my limited interest, its not clear the WAE or Breed Standard might now be watchable...or recorded...online...

"Not recording working events"

And those may have dropped from taping when UDC cancelled...

so I'll just continue to plan on going in person someplace to watch from sidelines, meet people, learn who is doing a good job with their dogs.

It was clear from the UDC "Prison Break" there is a lot of last minute scrambling going on.

Sounds like something something money might have been the issue...turned into "censorship..." and now its he said she said...🤷🏻‍♂️

Another reason I dont have FB and no interest in private groups

but thanks for a bit of background @Ddski5
 
Last edited:
But its not clear the WAE or Breed Standard might be watchable...so I'll continue to plan on going in person someplace else to watch from sidelines.
I’m not sure if this is what you meant, but only the conformation events are being live streamed. None of the performance events or WAE are/were.
 

Back
Top