doberman puppy update

carad06

New Member
Hi everyone,

A few days ago I posted a thread about how I was regretting getting my doberman puppy, well I've decided to reach out to the breeder and tell him I don't think my home environment is right for him. I didn't talk about this much in my previous thread, but I've been taking my puppy to work with me, parks, pet stores, car rides, and he HATES it. This dog absolutely hates the car, I have to lift this 70 pound monster in and out of the car every day. Which surprises me because our past dobermans would beg to go on car rides lol.

Anyways, the breeder said he's very busy at the moment and he doesn't have the time to take him back and find a new home. He's given me permission to find him a new home, which would have worked out fine if our family member still wanted him but things didn't end up working out... This honestly puts more stress on me but I'm trying to stay positive. I asked the breeder if he knows anyone who would be interested in my pup, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

In our contract it states that I can give the puppy back and I will be refunded my money once he sells to a new home, or I can have permission to sell to a third party. I don't want to sell this dog myself, I've realized it's not easy to find someone willing to spend thousands of dollars on a dog where I live.. unless it's a doodle. But I think this is my only option right now, so as of right now I am trying to find him the perfect home! Thank you to everyone for the advice, I am trying to do the right thing for this dog even if it makes me sad.

Here's a pic of him! Also if anyone in or near Alabama is interested let me know! 32C61D0C-F05D-4F91-B3BB-2E2CA292EA6C.webp
 
If you’re unable to find someone who can take him, maybe a Doberman specific rescue would be a good option? This is a list of Doberman rescues. There are none in Alabama (at least that are listed) but there are two in Tennessee. I’m not sure about these particular ones, but breed specific rescues tend to keep dogs in foster homes and not in the typical shelter environment.

As for not liking the car, I would basically start over as if he’s never been in one before. Throw a toy or treat, whichever he likes best, into the car. Let him get it and come back out. Do that for awhile then add a little duration before he comes out of the car. Eventually start taking really short rides, just down the street and back, then continue to build up duration. Give him the toy or treat each time he gets in and out. Take as long as he needs before moving to the next step. It sounds kind of tedious, but if he really hates being in there taking small steps like this should help!
 
Those eyes! Poor boy, he knows what’s coming 😟

he doesn't have the time to take him back and find a new home. He's given me permission to find him a new home,
So he’s not a reputable breeder after all.
I don't want to sell this dog myself, I've realized it's not easy to find someone willing to spend thousands of dollars on a dog
As suggested, try to find a Doberman specific shelter. This is exactly the age where they get surrendered and if he ends up in the wrong place, it could be bad. Whatever you do, DO NOT give him away for free. Those dogs end up being used in illegal dog fighting.
 
Those eyes! Poor boy, he knows what’s coming 😟


So he’s not a reputable breeder after all.

As suggested, try to find a Doberman specific shelter. This is exactly the age where they get surrendered and if he ends up in the wrong place, it could be bad. Whatever you do, DO NOT give him away for free. Those dogs end up being used in illegal dog fighting.
Considering the amount of money I spent on this dog there’s no way I would give him up for free if I’m being completely honest.

And he’s ok! Im trying to make him as comfortable as possible
 
Anyways, the breeder said he's very busy at the moment and he doesn't have the time to take him back and find a new home.
I'm so sorry that you dont have an ethical breeder. He brought this soul into this world, he should always be willing to take back his puppies at any time. When you are ready for a puppy in your life again please don't be afraid to come here for help seeking out a better and more supportive breeder.

I second reaching out to a breed specific rescue if you can. They have the resources to help find him a home that will be capable of the breed.
 
I'm sorry you're both in this position and that your breeder is being a turd.

Before I link anything, know that: I don't know anything about them besides
1. They exist 2. They are a doberman rescue 3. They are in GA near ATL

Georgia doberman rescue
 
He's a beautiful boy! I'm sorry things haven't worked out for you two. It sounds like you're doing the best you can for him. I'll bet in the right hands he would be a wonderful companion. Dobermans take a lot of time and energy to train properly. Your lifestyle just wasn't right for him at this time. But I commend you on realizing that and trying to do the right thing. I don't know if time is of the essence but I hope you can spend time finding the right person. Either a doberman rescue or someone with Doberman experience. I wish you luck!
 
Facebook seems to be the most popular place for rescues online. Check for Doberman groups in your state and nearby. Those groups may not allow advertising in the group but will know local breed rescues.

Your costs in this dog should be considered "sunk costs"- ie they are gone. Its not an investment, its a depreciating asset that continues to cost time and money.

How much you get back in $$$ is not the issue- its placing the dog in a GOOD home. The Doberman Facebook groups or actual AKC local clubs are your best bet, to find a good owner.
 
Hi everyone,

A few days ago I posted a thread about how I was regretting getting my doberman puppy, well I've decided to reach out to the breeder and tell him I don't think my home environment is right for him. I didn't talk about this much in my previous thread, but I've been taking my puppy to work with me, parks, pet stores, car rides, and he HATES it. This dog absolutely hates the car, I have to lift this 70 pound monster in and out of the car every day. Which surprises me because our past dobermans would beg to go on car rides lol.

Anyways, the breeder said he's very busy at the moment and he doesn't have the time to take him back and find a new home. He's given me permission to find him a new home, which would have worked out fine if our family member still wanted him but things didn't end up working out... This honestly puts more stress on me but I'm trying to stay positive. I asked the breeder if he knows anyone who would be interested in my pup, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

In our contract it states that I can give the puppy back and I will be refunded my money once he sells to a new home, or I can have permission to sell to a third party. I don't want to sell this dog myself, I've realized it's not easy to find someone willing to spend thousands of dollars on a dog where I live.. unless it's a doodle. But I think this is my only option right now, so as of right now I am trying to find him the perfect home! Thank you to everyone for the advice, I am trying to do the right thing for this dog even if it makes me sad.

Here's a pic of him! Also if anyone in or near Alabama is interested let me know! View attachment 149558
Where in Alabama?
 
It sounds like you're handling a tough situation with a lot of care and responsibility. It's great that you're prioritizing the well-being of your puppy and trying to find the right home for him. Hopefully, the breeder will get back to you with some leads soon. Hang in there, and kudos to you for doing what's best for your pup!
 
Facebook seems to be the most popular place for rescues online. Check for Doberman groups in your state and nearby. Those groups may not allow advertising in the group but will know local breed rescues.

Your costs in this dog should be considered "sunk costs"- ie they are gone. Its not an investment, its a depreciating asset that continues to cost time and money.

How much you get back in $$$ is not the issue- its placing the dog in a GOOD home. The Doberman Facebook groups or actual AKC local clubs are your best bet, to find a good owner.
Him going to a good home is my top priority! I only say that because I know a good home for him would have the money to purchase him for around the cost I bought him, otherwise they wouldn't be able to pay for vet bills or his other necessities.

I am talking to a few people that I think would be a good fit, they have a yard and other dogs which is something I really want for him.
 

Back
Top