Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Cropping Stigma!?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Kawhi2222, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Wouldn't just throwing him over the fence work? :woot2:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. pitdoug1998

pitdoug1998 New Member

Not if he'd harmed my friend. And that's irrelevant she stormed off the property with him. Maybe she learned something but it's doubtful based on her narcissistic response. But, point taken!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

@pitdoug1998 I wanted to thank you for referring to the true APBT as a bulldog. They are all I’ve had my life until three years ago I picked up my Dober mutt outside a gas station. He’s also half GSD and is intact of all his body parts, he really is a true mix and his ears do a little bit of everything lol. Usually his left one -mostly- stands and the right will fold in half, but they really do vary. Not ONCE has someone doubted him because of his goofy ears. Usually the comments I get, if I’m even approached at all, is “wow, he’s a big dog. Nobody’s breaking into your place!”

I am not a crop advocate but I don’t engage in argument with people I otherwise respect and admire. I don’t believe it is fair to compare an optional cosmetic procedure to a speuter which does serve a purpose, can you imagine how many more dogs would be running around or otherwise euthanized? Even “responsible” owners have accidental litters.

Circumcision is really not done often in most overseas countries and there was a time I thought I might be expecting and I am a researcher. I found out that there are a LOT of future mothers opting against circumcision because research has found that they are robbing their boys of an exorbitant amount of nerves contained in that bit they cut off.

But people will do what they do whether someone else sees it as right or wrong, and we all have that freedom.

4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I was just trying to be funny. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. RexsMom

RexsMom Member

Oh goodness, these people. Surprisingly I’ve only had 2 people (in person because people are so tough when hiding behind a computer screen...) say something to me. But a get TONS of compliments on the ears and people tell me under their breath “a Doberman isn’t a Doberman without the ears done..”.
    Both were older ladies which I found odd. But I do get a lot of children (Rex loves kids & a lot of parents allow them to let him) ask “Where’d his tail go?” which can be awkward. But usually the parents will do the talking for that. Anyways, one older lady simply was passive aggressive & shook her head while walking away.

The other though was actually a vet tech. I was searching for a vet clinic to bring my pup to before I even got him, just to be prepared! I walk into the clinic and was talking to the tech at the front counter when she asked which breed he was. When I had told her a Doberman, she immediately asked if I was cropping the ears. I told her yes when her face changed into disgust & she responded to me with it’s “absolutely barbaric and of me to do that to my dog”. Now I’m a very quiet and a big pushover (the Canadian in me), but something snapped in me. I replied with “But you’ll sit here and help chop a dogs nuts off or remove a uterus, that’s okay though.”. And I walked out.

So I always say go the neuter/spay comment to catch them off guard :spit:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Logan 45

Logan 45 Member

Give it time it will come I was that way at first and now posting my second dobie the most time consuming part about posting is building them. Along with realizing that you don’t need but 10 inches per ear to tape them if that.

7. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My observation is that people who are willing to judge others harshly are usually uninformed at best.

I’ve grown a pretty thick skin since owning my first C/D girl, Tara. I’ve been ‘bashed’ online and in public. Some people are very passionate about their views and don’t have a problem sharing them. The best thing you can do is be as positive and even professional about your response and let them choose as they see fit. Those who can't express themselves without yelling or spitting have issues of their own.

Don't let other people's ignorance get under your skin.

8. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I've been curious about how that was going for you being in a country where it's illegal. Sorry to hear people have been so hard on you. I wish people could learn to educate themselves before they open their mouth.

Drake was not my first dobie, he was however the first I got as a pup. I was a bit taken back by the things people were willing to say to me about his ears and tail. Calling me cruel while at their side is an overweight dog. :facepalm:
    I took it upon myself to learn all I could about the procedures, including witnessing both the cropping and docking of a litter. Cruel? I can tell you first hand the puppies didn't even act like anything happened. Upon returning from the Vet, the pups were playing with each other and running around just like before the procedure. I saw nothing cruel or abusive. I'm not going to say it was pain free because I don't know, I'm guessing probably sore worse case scenario.
    Just gotta add......if you want your pup cropped, go with a reputable breeder that sends the pup home cropped and ready to post. A breeder will have a good cropping Vet that has the art down. Also the breeder is experienced in caring for the ears and will have them ready to post relieving tons of stress on the owner. There's a enough stress bringing home a pup, no need to add to it. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I shut this guy down pretty quickly :fingersx:

F9B83351-32FF-41B2-BB2F-4084DD86461C.jpeg

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  10. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. If they see a dog in posts they complain. But once they are standing on their own, they don't even know the difference. :whoop: Dumb:censored:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

I picked up the following suggestion here and it seems to cut down on the negativity. I am constantly getting questions about his posts. "what's wrong with his ears". I simply say, "He's a Doberman, if you don't post his ears until he is done teething, they won't stand up and will flop like a hound." 9/10 don't even say anything after that and don't realize that his ears were cut. I don't mention the crop unless someone brings it up.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

Thankfully we also found that we don't get many comments anymore now that the posts are out. We did get the comments before though about your poor puppy and you are selfish for doing that to him. The best ones are the people that comment online from behind their screen.

When he was in posts some people were just curious though and would ask questions and I was more than happy to talk to them about it.

One of the things that always gets me too is when someone posts a photo of an uncapped doberman online and handfuls of people have to comment "so cute! Im glad you left the ears natural!" It's only thing to say they are cute but I have to laugh that they can't resist throwing in the leaving them natural comment. I am all for owners choosing what they want for their puppies and I hope they would do the same for me. We wanted the doberman look with the cropped ears so we took that route. I have nothing against the people that leave them natural but how absurd would it be for me to comment on a natural photo "I can't believe you would leave their ears normal, how do you expect the other dogs to respect him now? ":rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  13. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

I just keep my answer very short. I tell them to GET F :censored:

• Funny Funny x 1