Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

No skunk smell? There's been a few times that I will smell skunk but not see them when I walk out of the house very early in the morning. I just figure they must have recently passed through nearby. It's usually when there's no snow to check tracks.

I think you can only smell them when they've recently defended themselves? Otherwise, not stinky!

it's been a while since we've captured one of these guys on our camera! Hopefully it means the bunny explosion last year lead to lots of healthy fox, coyote, hawk, and owl babies which are now on the prowl


 
There's been a few times that I will smell skunk but not see them when I walk out of the house very early in the morning. I just figure they must have recently passed through nearby.
Bears smell like skunk too. :D
 
No skunk smell?
We have skunk smell every few months, like you say early in the morning and very faint like it's far away. Plus the neighbors fiasco of one getting inside their house - talk about a Charles Frank! So yeah, they live around here for sure.
 
I think you can only smell them when they've recently defended themselves? Otherwise, not stinky!
That's what I understand. And they won't spray in an enclosed area knowing they will be locked up with it. So if I smell a whiff in the morning, I assume one had a run-in with another creature or otherwise startled into spraying.

it's been a while since we've captured one of these guys on our camera!
So neat! I thought we were getting coyotes around our little yard fence. Poop & more poop with juniper berries and I know coyotes love those berries. So I set the critter cam up and it was a grey fox. I'll get a picture up later. I'll reset the camera. Could be both I guess. I didn't know fox wanted to mark territory so much? Yard fence is surrounded by poop!
 
I am shocked my car recovered after throwing a twice sprayed Rubie right into it. It took a while but... Perhaps because it was a secondary type incident and not because it was airborne :sick:smelled like lavender (the scent of the deskunking spray I ended up getting) and burning rubber for a few weeks, there!
But that was like a "secondary smell" 😆 because it was ON Ruby. This skunk was in their home, spraying, wasn't it? That's fresh! 🤣🤭
 
Short story they spent $$$ and a couple of weeks to get the smell out of the house still ended up taking some really nice furniture to the dump. Over stuffed couch and chairs that were fabric upholstery would not air out - less than 2 years old.
And there ya go. Yea, I'm sure some stuff got trashed. :bag:
 
I posted on here several years ago about a skunk that fell down one if our window wells. These are escape windows in our basement. I went down in the basement and nearly gagged! I thought oh my God, we have a skunk in the house! But then I looked at the window and saw all the dirt and stone tore up outside in that window well. Then I knew what happened. He fell in there and he's trying to get out! He wasn't visible because he had buried himself but I didn't think he was completely out because there was no exit on the outside of the window well. Those steel wells go down deep and I don't think he dug down deep enough to get under it. So I put a piece of wood in there for him to climb out. We never saw him leave but once he did it was enough to finally convince my husband to put covers on those! I've been wanting to cover those for years because we would get frogs and anoles (and a baby possum!) trapped in there and I was forever taking a net and fishing them out. So that was a great project finally finished with about 5 of those window wells. If I counted that right! 😆

But that skunk smell lingered in my basement for a little while. Not long, but enough to make me 😖 every time I went down there.
 
My husband and I were enjoying coffee in our sunroom in front of the fire when I see these two geese flying straight at us! I watch them for a second wondering, what the heck? And then I realized they were going to land. So I grabbed my phone just as they landed. I've never seen geese on our property. I've seen them on other properties, where they have water. Well, guess what? I'll bet they thought there was a little Lake here. In my corral! 🤣🤣🤣So funny.

Check out the ending. :evilgrin:
 
My husband and I have been working out in the front garden every chance we get. We've been doing all kinds of stuff but in one area I was cutting out a lot of honeysuckles. Hubby would then go back and cut out the stumps.

He was cutting this one when I found this little guy! A Racerunner! Must have just woke him up. Because they're usually pretty darn fast. He started to go back to where my husband was cutting and I'm like, oh no! 😟 So I gently got him onto my hand and took him over to a safer spot.

The beginning is a little loud because I'm right next to hubby's Sawzall. And as I walk away, you may hear my husband say, you're taking him away from his home. He's going to get lost!

🤦‍♀️

Always a comedian.

 
The spring birds are starting to come back and sing so I've started to use the Merlin bird app again to record them.
Merlin Bird ID Apr 11 24.webp
 

Back
Top