Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

How cool! When I was training in southern GA we weren't allowed to take any photos on the property and we saw so many cool things down there. I had 2 cameras with me because I wasn't about to leave them sitting in my unattended vehicle in Minneapolis and it killed me not to be able to take any photos with such cool stuff all around. At least it was cool to me when it's a totally different climate from where I live.
 
Looking out my sunroom window the other day and I noticed something on the snow. It was sort of big and because it was near our wood piles I thought it was a chunk of bark. Until I got my binoculars out. It was a bird! 😲Actually looked like a robin. I was very surprised. I don't know what happened but could be anything with these Sub-Zero temperatures and horrible wind.😔



20240115_160826.webp
20240115_160837.webp
 
Well out here in the "country". lol... we have so many that I would probably bog down the forum ...
We have a few that I won't go out in the dark without a flash light! (facepalm) yes I am a grown @$$ woman and afraid of the dark!

we have coons, possums, deer, axis, a panther that has been spotted again this year around the corner on a game cam) shrews or gophers and NURTRIA! (I live up by the Lake in East Texas)
 
Nice kitty, warm kitty, fluffy ball of fur..... this guy was caught on a Game cam in the town next to us. (mind you my town is only 8 miles wide) :wideyed:

East Texas! The one thing I just knew we would have issues with when we were moving up here was wild hog... we haven't seen a single one!


IMG_1851.webp
 
Nice kitty, warm kitty, fluffy ball of fur..... this guy was caught on a Game cam in the town next to us.
Wow that would be a scary sight to run into at night like that. I sort of even get that feeling with black bears at night, even though I'm not afraid of them. When all you see are eyes it makes you do a double take.
Bear by wood stove eyes glowing June 12 19.webp
 
Wow, now I know why those sparrows love my dwarf lilac tree! This morning I walked into my sunroom and was looking out the window when I saw large wings fluttering just below the window! When I stepped closer, a hawk, I'm not sure what kind of was, was sitting on top of the dwarf lilac tree! And he was eagerly looking down through the tight branches, eyeballing two sparrows that were still inside. I was holding my breath hoping that they would stay inside there. Because they certainly were well protected with all those branches. The hawk would never be able to get in there. That's why they love that tree! What great cover they have!

I backed away slowly from the window to run and get my phone to take a picture and of course he was gone when I came back. But oh my goodness, that certainly showed how wonderful a hiding spot that is for those small birds. It was also cool to see that hawk! LOL I love them too!
 
Biologist friend ID'd as juvenile red-shouldered hawk. From a nest upslope...across the street.

There were a pair splashing in a kiddie pool my daughter setup in the backyard for puppy Bonnie...who woke daughter by barking at the window the morning after at the hawk babies frolicking "in their new bird bath"...🤣

Who were apparently unconcerned while drying feathers in the sun after their morning bath...despite Mama's admonishments to "come home!"...IMG_7838.webp
 
Last Sunday, around 8am, Kali alerted me to this raccoon crossing by the house. I thought it was unusual time of day for him to be out? He actually looked to have a slight limp too. I saw him two more days and then nothing. 🤷‍♀️. It's the first time in a long time that I've seen a raccoon, day or night.

20240204_080631_1.webp
 
We just put out three caged suet squares for the birds. No seed. But we get a lot of birds! Right now there are a lot of chickadees, Nuthatch, woodpeckers Cardinals and junco's. But this morning I look out there and holy cow! A bunch of Starlings! All over the hanging suet and all over the stuff falling on the ground. I haven't seen that many here at the feeders in a very long time.
20240217_103639.jpg
20240217_103454.jpg
20240217_103626.jpg
 
Visitor to my garage, what a treat!! Central American coral snake, venomous but not aggressive unless provoked. After enjoying him, I escorted him outside before my cat could get him.View attachment 144179
What’s the quote?
Red on yellow- kill a fellow
Red on black- friend of Jack.

I know the are not aggressive like the viper family but that’s a good size coral snake right there.
 
not aggressive unless provoked. After enjoying him, I escorted him outside before my cat could get him
So how did you escort him out without provoking him? I'm not afraid of snakes and I've escorted many. 😁 But poisonous ones would make me a little more leery!
 
What are they all looking at? When my three horses do that I always look in that direction! lol they are great Watch Dogs and always alert me to something I may not have caught. So it makes me wonder what these guys are looking at.🤔
I'm not sure they were looking at anything in particular it's just the direction they see were traveling
 

Back
Top