Critters and wildlife in your area - post your pics

And speaking of skunks, LOL last night my husband and I and Kali were walking back to the house from bringing in the horses when I smelled skunk! I always have a flashlight with me so I flashed it around and called Kali to me, telling my husband, I smell skunk! I swear there's times I smell it so strong and he doesn't. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️Go figure!! I have no clue how you cannot smell a skunk.

But anyway his first response was, ' I don't smell anyt....oh yeah!'

I'm like, okay I'm not imagining things. So we hurried into the house!


And now I'm just sitting here writing this when I look out the window and see two deer in the middle of the back property. By the time I went out the door with my phone to grab a picture they were all the way in the back behind the pasture fence. The way one of them was moving reminded me of a beautiful Buck I saw about a week ago. Very seldom have I seen anything but a doe here. But this guy had a nice looking rack. 😆 you know what I mean! :tap: LOL But the sad thing was, he was limping. He was all by himself that day or at least I didn't see anybody else. This time there was two of them, male and a female and I think he was limping. It was probably the same one.😟

Hard to see because they were so far away.
20231108_125703.webp
20231108_125659.webp
20231108_125655.webp
 
last night my husband and I and Kali were walking back to the house from bringing in the horses when I smelled skunk! I always have a flashlight with me so I flashed it around and called Kali to me, telling my husband, I smell skunk!
I'm not sure if you know it, but bears sort of smell like skunk too. :whistle:
 
Sorry for the bad quality of the second picture, I was taking a video so just took screenshots from that. I was about to leave my backyard when I noticed there was a coyote maybe 20ft away slowly running in the field. Somehow Remy didn’t see it but he definitely smelt it! I waited a few seconds to make sure it wouldn’t bother us before getting a video. The red circle is where the coyote was when I started filming. Second picture (zoomed in) is when it turned back to look towards us.

My neighborhood was part of a golf course, but it closed down about 20 years ago. Since then the land has been used by homeowners for walking, driving golf carts, riding dirt bikes, etc… I have always seen the occasional fox or coyote, but it’s happening a lot more often now that this land is getting cleared to build housing…
F57A7B3C-1653-4012-B34E-75F60F5869CC.webp5E8C4261-E4EC-4F64-BEFD-3092A77C3817.webp
 
I have always seen the occasional fox or coyote, but it’s happening a lot more often now that this land is getting cleared to build housing…
Unfortunately that's getting to be true everywhere. Thankfully they're not doing that here around our property since a lot of it is wetlands that are not supposed to be disturbed.

Hubby was out in his deer stand the other day and watched wolves for quite a while. He said they were really playing and rolling around on the ground having a good old time.
 
We were putting up Christmas lights on the barn and my husband was able to get down an empty bird nest from the summer. They haven't made a nest up there for a number of years. But this year I saw them up there and thought, oh boy, I'm going to find a baby dead on the concrete below. But nope. Somehow they all made it! And I can't remember what it was but I think it might have been a robin.
20231202_121305.jpg

High on top of that light.
20231202_121400.webp
 
I edited my above post since I accidently said Pine Marten but it's really a Fisher.

I just saw a weasel running around from the window and they're usually not that easy to spot but he has already turned white and there still isn't much snow on the ground.
 
That Pesky Squirrel came at me again on Tuesday. I do some work at a neighbors house a couple days a week so Asha is not with me on this short walk. This time I'm walking along their long driveway and hear a rustling noise behind me, just as I turn to look it runs past me, only about a foot away from my legs (kind of like Asha, actually :rofl: ). So I get my phone out. It really isn't normal behavior if you ask me. AND it has a white patch on its shoulder, which I find odd.





IMG_4440.webpIMG_4441.webpIMG_4445.webp
 
Wow that's a totally different type than we have around here but ours are very bold too. I have to physically knock them off the feeder to get them to get down. I wonder if it's possible that it has rabies when it's just going after you for no reason.
 
Yes, very different from what we have here! The ears are so big it looks like part rabbit LOL Pretty color though. Very surprising to have them come so close to you. Mine would never do that!

Okay, I guess it's cuz Kali would like them for dinner. :rolleyes: They hear the door open and they're gone! :sonic:
 
I wonder if it's possible that it has rabies when it's just going after you for no reason.
That was my very first thought last spring when one did this very same thing, and I posted here about it. Then I looked it up and from the CDC is this:
Small rodents (like squirrels, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, chipmunks, rats, and mice) and lagomorphs (including rabbits and hares) are almost never found to be infected with rabies and have not been known to transmit rabies to humans.

But yeah, a true startle reflex when this booger ran past me! Totally strange.
 
I’m visiting family in south Florida and there are always several different types of lizards and iguanas around. I saw 5 or 6 earlier while walking Remy at a park.
8965F514-52B2-45F5-B9C6-137420481291.webp
This one was dead but it hopefully gives you an idea of how large they are.
BDA34C33-00B2-4384-BB1A-15F10DAF70A4.webp
 

Back
Top