Asha found this deer the other day which I posted in the Photos thread, but
@Ddski5 had a question which prompted me to ask more questions...
View attachment 159453
Question was is it a 10 pt buck - I'm not sure how that's counted, so I looked at this website to learn more... and now there's more information and I'm more confused... Is it counting points alone that tells you? The "score" is based on measurements?
Image The major features that make up a B&C score for a whitetail deer are: F - main beam length, G - point lengths, H - circumferences, and D - Inside Spread (not shown). The Boone and Crockett Club recognizes two categories of whitetail deer. The larger and the more familiar to most of us is...
www.boone-crockett.org
We have Whitetail and Mule deer here, and Coues deer also, though I don't think I've seen a Coues, I have found a tiny skull with anters which I was told was Coues. Also told they don't share territory with the larger deer but there are definitely WT and Mulies here. And when they look like this one that Asha found - no ears or tails or even skin, how do you know what it is (was)???
Looking to learn. I'll get a photo of the head so you can look at the antlers a little better. I also have many skulls with antlers that I've collected, some were hunted and cleaned, others were found. Years ago I worked at a private ranch almost 90.000 acres and we were allowed to keep what we found, so I got a little addicted to finding bones of any kind.