• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Can satin balls be made with pork?

Genta

Notable member
Hi, I’m planning to feed my dog some satin balls in the next two months just to try to increase his weight (he is a little bit underweight). Is it okay for me to use lean cut pork instead of beef? Pork is cheaper compared to beed in my area. Thank you!

I wouldn't. Even though some might say it's ok, I just don't trust raw pork period. I would use ground chicken or turkey as an alternative. JMHO

I would personally stick to the beef if you want to put weight on him and I agree about not trusting raw pork.
I almost never buy beef since we have venison but I did look the other day and it indeed expensive.

Never heard of satin balls! Had to look that one up! 😂 It is essentially meatloaf! You might find a local butcher (not chain grocery) who would save you odd scraps you can grind yourself, or mildly outdated burger.

I wish I could give them to Phoebe when she's so skinny but she's not supposed to have much protein.
Never heard of satin balls! Had to look that one up! 😂 It is essentially meatloaf!
Here is a thread with a few different recipes.

Thank you guys for the advice! Quick question rather than feeding them extra food like the satin balls is it okay if I just increse his lean meat in his diet? Or like as @Kaiser2016 said add pasta/sweet potatoes?

I'd add more lean meat. Problem with feeding a raw diet and adding all those carbs is that it becomes a bit more like kibble then lol. Kibble has a lot of carbs as binding agents, and one of the benefits of raw diet is to remove the carbs.

Back