• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Can a Dog Teach Another Dog to Whine?

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
...particularly a puppy.

We know Oji whines, yes? Sort of a lot.

If we were to bring in a puppy to our lives before Oji dies, do you think Oji's whining could encourage the pup to take up the practice of whining more than it would otherwise do? The breed we might bring in is not a Doberman, and not a breed that is supposed to whine excessively.

I know individual dogs vary, and just because a breed is not known to be whiny doesn't mean an individual of that breed won't be; so it will be hard to ever know.

I seriously doubt it, but then again anything is possible! I personally think whining and vocalizing is more genetic than learned. Like Huskies tend to howl. Also whining is usually a protest or frustration expression and a dog that doesn't get so easily frustrated would find no reason to whine. Just as bringing a Doberman puppy into a household with a non-vocal adult dog didn't teach mine not to whine. Ahem. πŸ™„

Is there going to be a puppy prospect reveal pretty soon?!? πŸ˜ƒ

I seriously doubt it, but then again anything is possible! I personally think whining and vocalizing is more genetic than learned. Like Huskies tend to howl. Also whining is usually a protest or frustration expression and a dog that doesn't get so easily frustrated would find no reason to whine. Just as bringing a Doberman puppy into a household with a non-vocal adult dog didn't teach mine not to whine. Ahem. πŸ™„

Is there going to be a puppy prospect reveal pretty soon?!? πŸ˜ƒ
Perhaps a prospect reveal. I may have a phone call today on an available pup that will determine a lot. Was in contact yesterday with the dam's owner who has the pup, but the business end would be handled with the sire's owner, with whom I've already talked on the phone in the past and could've had a pup from but I decided not to at the time.

Perhaps a prospect reveal. I may have a phone call today on an available pup that will determine a lot. Was in contact yesterday with the dam's owner who has the pup, but the business end would be handled with the sire's owner, with whom I've already talked on the phone in the past and could've had a pup from but I decided not to at the time.
Pretty exciting news, budπŸ‘
Keep us informed, and you know! we want pics!!!

Depends on the dog, probably? Moo is super laid back and not generally vocal...

Rubie will bark all day e'er day at anything happening outside the house. Moo just lifts his head and gives her the "not this again" look.

Rubie will demand bark at something she wants. Moo will not.

Rubie will lose her mind at a 'friend' approaching the fence, Moo wags his tail and play bows.

Moo usually senses creatures before Rubie THEN he'll bark and she'll bark at nothing until she's on the same page as Moo.

In our experience either they're a whiner or they're not. Now if you add a parrot to the mixture, chances are you're going to have a whining parrot. LOL

I did think of one thing @Oh Little Oji that may be unintentionally learned. If Oji is still having problems with occasional accidents in the house, this may interfere with house-training a puppy, since they go by smell so much. Any lingering odor (they can smell what you can't) of another dogs pee/poop in the house could make the puppy think that it's OK to do this too. Because that is for sure a natural dog behavior - to learn from another dog where to potty. It certainly wouldn't be impossible, it may just present an extra challenge. Just something to think about.

Back