CA: Yucapia - Council Hears Pleas to Ban Pit Bulls, Some Support Breed

A

apbtmom76

Council hears pleas to ban pit bulls: Some support breed

By NOELLE KIELY
Staff Reporter
Published: Thursday, March 25, 2010 11:12 PM PDT
The first hour of the March 22 council meeting was dedicated to public comments with the majority of residents speaking in support of regulating vicious dogs within the city of Yucaipa. Others spoke on behalf of a “misunderstood breed,” of pit bulls.

“We have quite a number of people who wish to speak during public comment, so we need to limit your comments to the three minute rule tonight,” Mayor Dick Riddell announced at the start of the meeting.

Danella Eflerban spoke on behalf of her mother who was “attacked” by two pit bulls on Feb. 1 on Avenue C. Eflerban expressed her frustration with the County Animal Control who placed the animals on a 10 day in-home quarantine. “After my father made and posted flyers regarding the incident, Animal Control received 77 calls expressing concerns.” The dogs were subsequently des-troyed.

Elferban announced that she discovered the report listed the incident as a “provoked attack.” “If you defend yourself or your animal, it’s listed as a provoked attack.” Elferban said, “We can not count on people to be responsible pet owners. Please consider banning pit bulls in the city of Yucaipa.”

Resident Rodd Greene, whose dog, Maggie, was killed in a separate attack on Feb. 28, made the same plea to council. “Two pit bulls broke through my fence and murdered my dog. It was one of the most frightening experiences I’ve had and I lost one of the best dogs I’ve ever owned,” Greene said. He concluded, “I would like to see pit bulls banned in the city.”

Barbra Evans, a member of the Best Friends Animal Society, said she was asked to come to listen to the arguments when the society heard there was going to be public testimony requesting a ban on pit bulls. “You can’t ban a breed of dog just because it is that breed,” she said. Evans cited a legislation passed in Denver where dogs who had “done nothing but be a loving, loyal family pet were pulled from homes and destroyed.” Evans ended, “I just want to be a voice of reason and I encourage you to consider all the ramifications.”

Phil Lopez, a Yucaipa resident and former pit bull owner, said he was sympathetic to the owners who had been recently attacked, but we should “ban the deed, not the breed.”

Lopez said, “The pit bull is a very good and loyal dog, but you only hear the negative in the media.” Sarah Cozinski, who recently started a non-profit organization, “Change of Heart Pit Bull Rescue,” said, “It is unfair to have a breed banned because you don’t know each dog is an aggressive dog.”

Several other residents provided accounts of attacks by pit bulls, while others claimed the breed is misunderstood and banning the breed is unfair.

At the end of the council meeting, Councilwoman Diane Smith said, “After hearing all the testimony tonight, I would like to have staff look into what our options are for regulating vicious dogs.”

City Manger Ray Casey said the council’s goal-setting is set for the next meeting and could be addressed then.

http://www.newsmirror.net/articles/2010/03/26/news/doc4baa7ba851ce0786427272. txt

Back