Built our own Schutzhund Wall!

Marinegeekswife

Hot Topics Subscriber
The project took approximately 6 hours of work (split over 2 days) and $150 in supplies. The wall is very close to trial regulations but is slightly narrower than regulation because plywood boards come in 4 foot wide pieces and regulation is 59 inches wide.

Here is what supplies you'll need:
2 Plywood boards 7/16th in x 4 ft x 8 ft OSB (will be cut to 75 in long)
3 1x2 boards 96 in long (will be cut in half) *Edited to correct size of boards*
6 2x3 boards 96 in long (will be cut to 75 in long)
2 rolls of 4 ft x 8 ft astro turf
2 5 ft lengths of chain (look for dog tie-out chain or a chain with a high load limit)
4 threaded eye hooks (make sure the clips will fit the hooks)
4 double sided clips
3 heavy duty hinges
52 3 in wood screws
Staples

Tools you'll need:
Power saw
Power drill
Dremel with sanding head and with reinforced metal cutting head
Sand paper (we used a power sander but not necessary)
Staple gun
Sharp knife/scissors
Measuring tape
Pencil for marking

Spock helping us shop
2012-03-26174808.jpg

Setting up (quit laughing we don't have saw horses and had to improvise)
IMG_5311.jpg

The supplies
IMG_5313.jpg

Marking and cutting boards. The plywood is trimmed to 4 ft by 75 inches, 6 of the 2x3s are trimmed to 75 inches (save the excess for the horizontal framing pieces, those have to be custom cut to each space), the 6 1x3s are cut in half (approx 48 in long).
2012-03-26192611.jpg

Spock helping
IMG_5314.jpg

IMG_5315.jpg

The vertical supports for the under frame are in place. Held in place with a screw on either end and in the center.
IMG_5316.jpg

The horizontal frame pieces are now in place, too. Held in place with a screw on either end of each section.
IMG_5317.jpg

We couldn't trim the screw tips off at first so we tried duct tape pads, lol. It would have worked but we ended up going back and grinding the tips off the next day for safety. But here is the astro turf in place on side one. The astro turf is held in place with the staples from the staple gun.
IMG_5320.jpg

Trying it out
IMG_5323.jpg

Placing the "cleats". Held in place by a screw on either end and one in the center. The cleats are placed at 10 inches, 22 inches, and 34 inches from the top edge of the plywood to the top edge of the cleat.
IMG_5324.jpg

River carrying around a wooden block
IMG_5325.jpg

The completed first half and Spock with his own wooden block.
IMG_5327.jpg

Pat made me pose with it
IMG_5329.jpg

Grinding the screw tips off with the Dremel. Be sure to grind as close to the wood as possible so there isn't any excess sticking up that a dog could get cut by.
IMG_5331.jpg

Cutting the astro turf to fit the board. We did it after stapling it in place (pulling tightly while stapling to be sure it is nice and tight).
IMG_5333.jpg

Sanding the cleats. Be sure to sand all edges and round all corners and sharp edges so no one gets a splinter or cut. You should be able to run your hands all over them in every direction when they are done.
IMG_5334.jpg

IMG_5338.jpg

About to join the two pieces! Turn them over so they are face down and put the two top edges together. (The ends with the cleats are the tops.)
IMG_5339.jpg

River wasn't a huge fan of the noisy power tools
IMG_5341.jpg

Placing the hinges, first on one half and then join the two pieces. Place the hinges on either end and one in the middle.
IMG_5342.jpg

Now that both sides are joined we folded the two piece onto each other for storage and carrying.
IMG_5344.jpg

Added bonus! The double clips for the chains can clip into the eye hooks on either side to hold it closed.
IMG_5345.jpg

Setting it up for the first use! Take a section of the extra astro turf and cut it to the width of the wall. Place this over the top of the wall to protect the dogs from the edges of the wood and the hinges. Clip the chains in place at equal lengths to help hold it up, especially at lower heights.
IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5348.jpg

River peeking out the dog door. We put her inside so Spock could try the wall without her underfoot. She'll get to try it tomorrow.
IMG_5350.jpg

Trying out the new wall! Up and over! Looks like a success!
IMG_5355.jpg

For the record, the thing is VERY heavy. I had trouble lifting my end. Tomorrow we're going back to Home Depot to find wheels. We're going to put them on one side of it so we can wheel it in and out of the garage. We're also considering handles for easier carrying but not sure about that one, yet. I'll get photos of the new pieces and us working on it tomorrow.

Very cool! So awesome to have your own equipment for a sport to practice at home! We made our own flyball jumps at home back when we were in flyball and it helped us tremendously enough to put us ahead of the class! And, gotta have a beer before doing man work or else it isn't manly enough, huh? :D:p

Very cool! So awesome to have your own equipment for a sport to practice at home! We made our own flyball jumps at home back when we were in flyball and it helped us tremendously enough to put us ahead of the class! And, gotta have a beer before doing man work or else it isn't manly enough, huh? :D:p
That's the idea. As it is they only get to see the wall once a week at most. Why not have one of our own and work on it at home, too? Ha ha! You caught us. I wondered if anyone would see the bottles. Can't do any building projects without a beer or two. (One is mine, btw, lol.)

What a fum project for the 4 of you to do together! Spock and River remind me of my 2, always gotta be there right in the middle of everything.
So the pics with the blocks, was that the dogs on clean up duty?? If they want to help, they ought to have to help clean up. Mine usually just make more mess.

Very cool! You'll be going to the head of the class with the practice at home :D
Just two things... Pat made me cringe with the way he was using the circular saw between the supports (folding chairs). That's a very good way to get kick-back from the saw and get injured. And the grinding of the screw tips could have been avoided by screwing from the other side with 1 5/8" screws. Other than that, Rock On!

Awesome job Jess and the photos and instructions are perfect! :thumbsup: :ty:

LOL, now I know how you hurt your foot. ;)

Pat did a nice job. Now you are officially a Dog training NUT!!! We spend more on building quipement things for the dogs than for our fun. Welcome to the club. Dg put wheels and handles on his and it is nice.

Thats awesome! I love weekend projects!

[quote="Marinegeekswife, post: 227861, member: 1324"Setting up (quit laughing we don't have saw horses and had to improvise)[/quote]

:beer:Built a dog house this weekend and had to do the same thing lol! Im a tall guy and my back was super sore the next day, my makeshift work bench was alot lower to the ground!

So the pics with the blocks, was that the dogs on clean up duty?? If they want to help, they ought to have to help clean up. Mine usually just make more mess.
Ha ha, their version of it. :p I let them carry them as long as that's all they were doing. As soon as they started chewing I took them away.

Just two things... Pat made me cringe with the way he was using the circular saw between the supports (folding chairs). That's a very good way to get kick-back from the saw and get injured. And the grinding of the screw tips could have been avoided by screwing from the other side with 1 5/8" screws. Other than that, Rock On!
His sawing between the chairs made me nervous, too but we really didn't have another choice. His work bench is too shallow for him to cut on. We actually did have to grind the screws. Having them point out of the underside wasn't an option either as that is where you have to grab to carry it and set it up. But thanks for the suggestions from a professional!

LOL, now I know how you hurt your foot. ;)
Yup. We bought the supplies on a super windy day and one of those huge things of plywood blew out of Pat's hand and right into my foot. I still can't believe it left an impression.

Dg put wheels and handles on his and it is nice.
Nice! Glad to know that idea works.

We are considering making these and taking them to dog shows to sell. Probably making a secondary model that are agility specs and of course get the proper supplies to make this model to IPO standards. What do you guys think?

We are considering making these and taking them to dog shows to sell. Probably making a secondary model that are agility specs and of course get the proper supplies to make this model to IPO standards. What do you guys think?

I think it is a great idea! Having mutiple sources of income is always a good thing just in case you have to fall back on it.

I think it is a great idea! Having mutiple sources of income is always a good thing just in case you have to fall back on it.
Plus we really had a lot of fun doing it together. It would still stay a hobby but be something we could do together after work or on weekends when we aren't training. With Purina Farms right there it would be easy enough to do a vendor booth at several dog shows. It seems like there is really an untapped market of walls for mid range incomes. Most of what you can find online are $1000 or more. Most people on low income would probably try to build their own (like us, lol). But what about folks that don't have the time or skill to make their own? Not going to make us rich or anything silly like that but maybe be a fun way to work together and make a little fun money.

Well I want one too:( LOL very nice and your dobers are so helpful in the build... Jess you need goggles when you sand been there done that lol;).. I love your sawhorses teehee! Looks like ya had a great time doing it! Maybe this would be a good project for my grandson and me this summer:D Thanks for all the info on it!:bump:

Setting up (quit laughing we don't have saw horses and had to improvise)
IMG_5311.jpg

See the bottles? What bottles???? OH, the one in his hand!? :rofl: I would have come over to help if I'd known there was beer! :beer:

Ok, back to the serious stuff....hehehehe...........THIS is really cool, you guys! REALLY. Not only did you get this all made up for yourselves (and the dogs!) but you gave a step by step photo session for everyone here! Very, very nice! Well done! :thumbsup::ty:

And, darn it all, I wish my Home Depot would allow dogs!!!! :stomp: Great shot of Spock helping you shop! Woof!

See the bottles? What bottles???? OH, the one in his hand!? :rofl: I would have come over to help if I'd known there was beer! :beer:
Let's have a scavenger hunt. There's one more in one of the photos, lol. There's always a beer or two when grilling or building something.

Not only did you get this all made up for yourselves (and the dogs!) but you gave a step by step photo session for everyone here! Very, very nice! Well done! :thumbsup::ty:
Well when the idea popped into my head I started searching around the Internet for plans, guides, whatever. There really isn't much out there and nothing I found breaks it down like this. I figured the least I could do is help anyone on here that wants to know how to do this.

Let's have a scavenger hunt. There's one more in one of the photos, lol. There's always a beer or two when grilling or building something.

Oooohh, pick me, pick me! It's on the bookshelf next to the turf. I'm curious what kind?

Oooohh, pick me, pick me! It's on the bookshelf next to the turf. I'm curious what kind?
I tend to prefer girly beer. That's a Leinenkugel Berryweiss. Thanks to the influence of some coworkers Pat has gotten into better beers and smaller breweries. His is an ODell Brewing Company India Pale Ale.

And, darn it all, I wish my Home Depot would allow dogs!!!! :stomp: Great shot of Spock helping you shop! Woof!
Forgot I was going to share this. To encourage independence we swap out which one dog gets to go. Here is River with us yesterday to pick up things we forgot.

2012-03-27161527.jpg

Jess, this is really awesome! :) Love the pics and the step-by-step. Patrick likes the ODells IPA too. I hate IPAs. I'll drink the girly beers with you.

VERY VERY cool project - great job!!

I couldn't help but notice the Razorback tattoo. Are you from Arkansas by chance?
Yes we are. :) We were both born and raised in Eureka Springs, AR but my husband is an active duty Marine so we are living in Colorado right now. No matter where we go home will always be Arkansas.

Yes we are. :) We were both born and raised in Eureka Springs, AR but my husband is an active duty Marine so we are living in Colorado right now. No matter where we go home will always be Arkansas.

I agree I love Arkansas. I moved away for awhile, but I eventually came back. Anyway I don't want to derail your thread just thought I would point that out. And God bless you and your husbands.....military wives sacrafice too!!!!

Back