Beware Loose Dogs

You mean tasers? They might also ramp up a dog that is already in attack mode, as far as I heard. Not that I have advice on the best defense weapon. A robust walking cane of wood perhaps, but utterly impractical to be dragging along...
It wasn't a taser as such, but a walking stick that had the capacity to give a shock at a good distance. Not sure about if it would amp a dog up. e collars are said to amp up aggression rather than diminish it, but I think if you step in to an attacking dog and give it an almighty big stim on the snout or front of body, he will probably recoil and reconsider.

It wasn't a taser as such, but a walking stick that had the capacity to give a shock at a good distance. Not sure about if it would amp a dog up. e collars are said to amp up aggression rather than diminish it, but I think if you step in to an attacking dog and give it an almighty big stim on the snout or front of body, he will probably recoil and reconsider.
Agree, the size/length of the stick would be an advantage, as opposed to a taser where you must be close up. I’d like to get that kind of stick too.

Somewhere on here there was a thread with photos of a walking stick with abilities to poke and shock like a cattle prod or taser. Sold on Amazon even, but as I recall some countries could not be shipped to. We have what we call a bite stick if you walk in places prone to unruly dogs, I haven't even thought of it until now. It's a steel expandable stick, short but one shake and it expands to about 2 feet and you whack an attacking dog on the muzzle and it WILL back off. Used by animal control in difficult situations. Not too expensive. I'll have to remember what it's real name is so I can link it, but excellent protection against aggressive dogs.

Thanks for the compliments on Asha's picture - she can be that beautiful and in an instant be the hard look she has on my avatar. She's my whole life right now and it's great to have you guys to share stories with and get feedback and more similar stories of your own. That's what makes these forums great.

Meet Duke...

We had changed paths earlier in our walk because saw Duke was OFF LEASH but of course we got to our house right when they did.

Duke it the dog who runs through the intersection at the top left, I sneak into the yard on the bottom right, Moose acts as a buffer.

How dumb. Dumb dumb dumb.

Meet Duke...

We had changed paths earlier in our walk because saw Duke was OFF LEASH but of course we got to our house right when they did.

Duke it the dog who runs through the intersection at the top left, I sneak into the yard on the bottom right, Moose acts as a buffer.

How dumb. Dumb dumb dumb.

Ugh!! You can tell he has ZERO control over his dog. I like how you let your husband deal with it and focus on getting Rubie put safely away. That would be me too because I wouldn't be able to not say something. :mad: seems he doesn't even care that he is running in your flower bed either and looks like he is about to mark!

Don’t these people realize that even if their dog is “friendly,” other people are out walking their dogs on leash who may not be so welcoming? Jasper probably would have tried pinning that dog to the ground. Rubie looked pretty well behaved behind the fence. Moose was definitely excited. Overall, disaster avoided.

And letting the dog just wonder around probably doing their business in other peoples yards? I hate that. Theres this one neighborhood guy I call “the boxer guy” who walks daily and lets his dogs poop in everyones yards.

So that old guy is the owner? OMG, he looked like he was just casually strolling on through the scene, he doesn't seem to be one bit concerned about getting his dog.

Yes, the Dog Owner started calling "MOOSE" from way before we were in frame. Our dogs know his dog but from opposites sides of a fence. Duke has approached Rubie before while she was on leash and he was off and she gave him a grumble and side eye but the way he ran into our yard? Wtf!

I think the guy is a retired nosey busy body. He tells us every Sunday that he and Duke are having steak for dinner. I don't mind chatting with him because I'm sure he appreciates it but I really do not understand his dog being off leash.

Mind you, this is the guy who said one day that Duke was "in trouble" because he kept going up to people to say to them instead of focusing on the walk... UH NO SH*T

LONG Post, sorry.

A couple of weeks ago, just finished my little obedience class at a local park, put Asha back in my truck and was going to go back to help put some things in another gals car. I'd noticed way up the street (it's a quiet dead end street) there was a kid - I'm guessing 10 - 12 years old - walking a pit mix on a leash and thought nothing of it. Put Asha in the truck, turned away to go back and help load stuff and heard Asha barking crazy. It kinda pissed me off, because I've been working really hard on her not setting off on innocent people w/dogs, but I didn't turn or look because I was already 20 feet away and nothing I could do anyway. Then Ashas barking took a turn to furious really serious barking and I turned around just in time to see the pit mix was loose and barreling straight at me with serious intent. I made like a tree, pulled my legs together, arms at sides and looked off to the horizon just as it reached me. My frozen stature confused the dog, the kid caught up saying "he's nice, he's nice" (I'm thinking no, not really). But the kid caught him up and the dog was taken away - the snap had broken on the lead - cheap piece of sh!t - so all ended well. Asha the whole time was just about to come unglued in the truck, but thankfully she settled when the dog was taken away. I hate to think what could have happened if I had not put her in the truck yet and that aggressive dog came barreling toward us both.

Then yesterday I took her too another park (on leash rule there) to meet up with another training group - a new teacher I found, really great on behavior training, smart and no BS or pussyfooting with dogs. But I go early so I can train a bit on my own with the park distractions, then I sat down on the ground and leaned up against a tree to read for a while so Asha learns to chill and just watch people, dogs, kids on roller skates etc. I'd seen a lady walking two dogs on the sidewalk that went behind the tree I was leaning on. Asha had to hum and I corrected her (prong was on) and she kept eyeing them behind me, getting louder and hackles coming up and I just assumed she was being an ass (never assume) and shanked on her again saying NO, then she exploded bellowing. Just as I turned one of the 2 dogs had slipped his collar and was at the tree posturing toward Asha, pissing on the tree as he was hopping on 3 legs peeing as he ran toward Asha. I dragged Asha behind me and started flailing at the dog to get him off. Asha wanted to kill him and only because the prong could I hold her. The lady caught up, got her dog and dragged him away. Holy shite people! I know my dog does not need to be dog aggressive but if a dog or person stares at her long enough, she just can't stand it. Later I realized this dog had been staring at her as his owner was walking behind us & Asha was taking it as a challenge. I will never choose that kind of spot to "relax" at the park again. I need to be able to see 360 like my dog does and never assume!!! The BEST ending to this story is that my teacher arrived about that time, she'd taught this lady & her two dogs a couple of years before (not much stuck, obviously) and she worked with her and the horny (sorry, no other word comes to mind) dog and her other dog the entire HOUR of my lesson. She did figure 8's around me and Asha on one end and the lady and her other dog at the other, with the instructor taking the horny dog, healing & sharp sharp corrections when he tried to make advances toward Asha. Asha was a star, she laid at a down stay the entire time at my left, zero attempts to give him a what-for. It was like she knew he was now totally under control and no threat to her. Then Asha and I healed figure 8's around horny dog & the other dog, each being controlled well at a sit or down. We halted and sat in the center of them in the figure 8 several times. No animosity at all from any of them! I'm really enjoying this new teacher - she's a no BS kind of person and just takes a sour situation and made a huge pitcher of sweet lemonade.

Asha of course, cool as can be, relaxing at home later:

View attachment 112240
Great Picture !

I know I'm late to the party but I was thinking bear spray. ;) it's good to be prepared to defend yourself and your dog ...especially now days you just never know!

LONG Post, sorry.

A couple of weeks ago, just finished my little obedience class at a local park, put Asha back in my truck and was going to go back to help put some things in another gals car. I'd noticed way up the street (it's a quiet dead end street) there was a kid - I'm guessing 10 - 12 years old - walking a pit mix on a leash and thought nothing of it. Put Asha in the truck, turned away to go back and help load stuff and heard Asha barking crazy. It kinda pissed me off, because I've been working really hard on her not setting off on innocent people w/dogs, but I didn't turn or look because I was already 20 feet away and nothing I could do anyway. Then Ashas barking took a turn to furious really serious barking and I turned around just in time to see the pit mix was loose and barreling straight at me with serious intent. I made like a tree, pulled my legs together, arms at sides and looked off to the horizon just as it reached me. My frozen stature confused the dog, the kid caught up saying "he's nice, he's nice" (I'm thinking no, not really). But the kid caught him up and the dog was taken away - the snap had broken on the lead - cheap piece of sh!t - so all ended well. Asha the whole time was just about to come unglued in the truck, but thankfully she settled when the dog was taken away. I hate to think what could have happened if I had not put her in the truck yet and that aggressive dog came barreling toward us both.

Then yesterday I took her too another park (on leash rule there) to meet up with another training group - a new teacher I found, really great on behavior training, smart and no BS or pussyfooting with dogs. But I go early so I can train a bit on my own with the park distractions, then I sat down on the ground and leaned up against a tree to read for a while so Asha learns to chill and just watch people, dogs, kids on roller skates etc. I'd seen a lady walking two dogs on the sidewalk that went behind the tree I was leaning on. Asha had to hum and I corrected her (prong was on) and she kept eyeing them behind me, getting louder and hackles coming up and I just assumed she was being an ass (never assume) and shanked on her again saying NO, then she exploded bellowing. Just as I turned one of the 2 dogs had slipped his collar and was at the tree posturing toward Asha, pissing on the tree as he was hopping on 3 legs peeing as he ran toward Asha. I dragged Asha behind me and started flailing at the dog to get him off. Asha wanted to kill him and only because the prong could I hold her. The lady caught up, got her dog and dragged him away. Holy shite people! I know my dog does not need to be dog aggressive but if a dog or person stares at her long enough, she just can't stand it. Later I realized this dog had been staring at her as his owner was walking behind us & Asha was taking it as a challenge. I will never choose that kind of spot to "relax" at the park again. I need to be able to see 360 like my dog does and never assume!!! The BEST ending to this story is that my teacher arrived about that time, she'd taught this lady & her two dogs a couple of years before (not much stuck, obviously) and she worked with her and the horny (sorry, no other word comes to mind) dog and her other dog the entire HOUR of my lesson. She did figure 8's around me and Asha on one end and the lady and her other dog at the other, with the instructor taking the horny dog, healing & sharp sharp corrections when he tried to make advances toward Asha. Asha was a star, she laid at a down stay the entire time at my left, zero attempts to give him a what-for. It was like she knew he was now totally under control and no threat to her. Then Asha and I healed figure 8's around horny dog & the other dog, each being controlled well at a sit or down. We halted and sat in the center of them in the figure 8 several times. No animosity at all from any of them! I'm really enjoying this new teacher - she's a no BS kind of person and just takes a sour situation and made a huge pitcher of sweet lemonade.

Asha of course, cool as can be, relaxing at home later:

View attachment 112240
Thanks for the story, Great picture !

Went fishing yesterday at a nearby reservoir. There wasn't anyone else around so I let rose have fun...running, wading, chasing sticks. When I was leaving I put her an heel as we walked to the parking area. There was a group of people with 2 labs and some type of designer dog. One lab and the little one were not leashed, the other lab might as well have been loose as well since the girl holding the leash was being dragged behind as all 3 surrounded us next to my truck. I bit my tongue and let Rose do the talking but it really pissed me off!

@Antman, I'll have to leave that device for more talented folks who are quicker than I could ever be! Both these incidents lasted less than 15 seconds - it just seemed like 5 minutes. I learned my lesson and will from now on keep eyes open all around me.

My "funny" was at the Meme you posted. The frozen tree posture just came to me instinctively, knowing that movement or yelling can invite more prey-drive. Had the dog actually come in for a bite I would have gone into attack mode on it, kicking and yelling. They expect you to run and it really did help to stand my ground. Yup, I'm loving my new trainer too.

Asha was amazing. As soon as she saw the dog being submissive to the leash and handler she was totally chill. This was the 4th class with this new gal and I'm more impressed each time. She just teaches manners & handling, not show or AKC stuff, she specializes in bad behavior or out of control dogs, encourages use of prongs and e-collars to make short work of it. She didn't use either of these tools on the dog that jumped Asha, just the fat rope slip lead that he had on, and still he respected her in about 2 minutes. I signed up with her for help getting Asha to work with distractions.
WONDERFUL! Where do you live? Love to know who she is...trainer I mean!

I hate that we all have these horror stories....can't stand irresponsible people, ESPECIALLY when they yell "She's friendly". I used to have a dobergirlie who did NOT like other dogs rushing her, and a neighbors German Pointer (I love these dogs usually) came flying from behind their house, and the woman yells "SHE'S FRIENDLY" - the dog got up to my girl, who was just holding her ground, and BIT my dog in the face! That of course, set off my girl into a I'm going to kill you mode...with me on the other end of my leash....UGH!!! The woman says; (Another favorite line I hate) "I have never seen her do that before". Whatever.

Back