Beware Loose Dogs

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
LONG Post, sorry.

A couple of weeks ago, just finished my little obedience class at a local park, put Asha back in my truck and was going to go back to help put some things in another gals car. I'd noticed way up the street (it's a quiet dead end street) there was a kid - I'm guessing 10 - 12 years old - walking a pit mix on a leash and thought nothing of it. Put Asha in the truck, turned away to go back and help load stuff and heard Asha barking crazy. It kinda pissed me off, because I've been working really hard on her not setting off on innocent people w/dogs, but I didn't turn or look because I was already 20 feet away and nothing I could do anyway. Then Ashas barking took a turn to furious really serious barking and I turned around just in time to see the pit mix was loose and barreling straight at me with serious intent. I made like a tree, pulled my legs together, arms at sides and looked off to the horizon just as it reached me. My frozen stature confused the dog, the kid caught up saying "he's nice, he's nice" (I'm thinking no, not really). But the kid caught him up and the dog was taken away - the snap had broken on the lead - cheap piece of sh!t - so all ended well. Asha the whole time was just about to come unglued in the truck, but thankfully she settled when the dog was taken away. I hate to think what could have happened if I had not put her in the truck yet and that aggressive dog came barreling toward us both.

Then yesterday I took her too another park (on leash rule there) to meet up with another training group - a new teacher I found, really great on behavior training, smart and no BS or pussyfooting with dogs. But I go early so I can train a bit on my own with the park distractions, then I sat down on the ground and leaned up against a tree to read for a while so Asha learns to chill and just watch people, dogs, kids on roller skates etc. I'd seen a lady walking two dogs on the sidewalk that went behind the tree I was leaning on. Asha had to hum and I corrected her (prong was on) and she kept eyeing them behind me, getting louder and hackles coming up and I just assumed she was being an ass (never assume) and shanked on her again saying NO, then she exploded bellowing. Just as I turned one of the 2 dogs had slipped his collar and was at the tree posturing toward Asha, pissing on the tree as he was hopping on 3 legs peeing as he ran toward Asha. I dragged Asha behind me and started flailing at the dog to get him off. Asha wanted to kill him and only because the prong could I hold her. The lady caught up, got her dog and dragged him away. Holy shite people! I know my dog does not need to be dog aggressive but if a dog or person stares at her long enough, she just can't stand it. Later I realized this dog had been staring at her as his owner was walking behind us & Asha was taking it as a challenge. I will never choose that kind of spot to "relax" at the park again. I need to be able to see 360 like my dog does and never assume!!! The BEST ending to this story is that my teacher arrived about that time, she'd taught this lady & her two dogs a couple of years before (not much stuck, obviously) and she worked with her and the horny (sorry, no other word comes to mind) dog and her other dog the entire HOUR of my lesson. She did figure 8's around me and Asha on one end and the lady and her other dog at the other, with the instructor taking the horny dog, healing & sharp sharp corrections when he tried to make advances toward Asha. Asha was a star, she laid at a down stay the entire time at my left, zero attempts to give him a what-for. It was like she knew he was now totally under control and no threat to her. Then Asha and I healed figure 8's around horny dog & the other dog, each being controlled well at a sit or down. We halted and sat in the center of them in the figure 8 several times. No animosity at all from any of them! I'm really enjoying this new teacher - she's a no BS kind of person and just takes a sour situation and made a huge pitcher of sweet lemonade.

Asha of course, cool as can be, relaxing at home later:

fullsizeoutput_1b1.jpeg

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Ugh so frustrating when interactions like that happen and you have to deal with the repercussions. Thankfully your 2nd trainer sounds awesome and made the best out of that situation so Asha knew and could prove she wasn't going to be reactive so long as the dogs are well behaved and under control! Sounds about right to me! Good girl!!!

jazzies mum

Hot Topics Subscriber
I hate to think what could have happened if I had not put her in the truck yet and that aggressive dog came barreling toward us both.
My pet hate and fear, and guess what, it is something that happens more often than it should when you are traveling! My last holiday involved one event that scared/infuriated me and could have ended really badly. Aggressive dog broke it's rope in a dog "friendly" camp ground and came for Jazz, who was on leash and at least 50mtr from that dogs camp site. Resulted in me wrestling Jazz behind me, (in normal leather collar), while barging into that dogs every attack. Owner had no control and couldn't get the rope for what felt like forever! Jazz is starting to feel like she should be in front of me in these situations but thankfully not responding with like aggression.
The BEST ending to this story is that my teacher arrived about that time, she'd taught this lady & her two dogs a couple of years before (not much stuck, obviously) and she worked with her and the horny (sorry, no other word comes to mind) dog and her other dog the entire HOUR of my lesson. She did figure 8's around me and Asha on one end and the lady and her other dog at the other, with the instructor taking the horny dog, healing & sharp sharp corrections when he tried to make advances toward Asha. Asha was a star, she laid at a down stay the entire time at my left, zero attempts to give him a what-for.
This was a wonderful learning experience, because rest assured, clueless owners and out of control dogs will always be a problem. :sour:

PhilT

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
Dogs not under control is one off my dislikes we have a legal position in the UK that dogs in public areas must be under control at all times yet time and time again people let their dogs run around unrestrained spend to much time with their eyes fixed on their phones or just not aware of what's going on around them, King was attacked by two rottweilers when he was three he was on the lead they were doing what they liked he has still got the scares from it the owner could not control them they have to be on leads and muzzled at all times when out now adays King was the third dog they had attacked in a two week period , since then when any dogs come near us he doesn't know off their leads he steps in front of me and stands totally still i will asked the people to put their dogs on the lead and I wish i had a pound for everyone who says their dog is alright my answer is well he doesn't know that does he ! If they take no notice I tell them I will let King of his lead so he can protect himself that normally has the desired effect, he only ever uses his voice as a warning so if he barks there is a good reason most of the people who don't have control of their dogs also seem to be the ones who don't clear up after them either.

MyBuddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
I hate that you had to go through that but love your trainer! :thumbsup:

An unknown, loose dog is freaking scary. I've never personally been in a dogfight and I don't want to be. Not for my dog or myself. Heck, I've had Buddy take a treat from me a little too aggressively and those teeth hurt! I can't imagine getting bit. :wideyed: A pitbull running full-bore at you had to be frightening! Sounds like you did the right thing. I'm going to remember that move!:rolleyes:

Methinks that you will be listening to Asha and her body language from now on LOL Reminds me of the joke in the LOL thread...
24B0AFB5-6C97-4D98-8BAE-75D60BD990D2.jpeg

Ddski5

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Yes. I have learned to sit to where I can see and always keep my head on a swivel. Just when you least expect it, a loose dog comes up or a little kid tries to sneak up on you and pet your Doberman.

Really can’t be calm or get distracted unless I am sitting smack dab in the middle of a soccer field with no end in sight.

Beautiful picture of her right there, love her deep rust colors and her ears are perfect.

Antman408

$ Forum Donor $
I suggest carrying a blade with you for instances like this. If your dog is attacked, you can subdue the aggressive dog. I don’t condone animal abuse or anything. However If a dog attacks my dog. I will do everything in my power to subdue the threat. I’m going after the attacking dog with my dog. With the intent to kill.

AB9D82DE-27D0-4FD8-8374-17F206B5286A.jpeg

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
@Antman, I'll have to leave that device for more talented folks who are quicker than I could ever be! Both these incidents lasted less than 15 seconds - it just seemed like 5 minutes. I learned my lesson and will from now on keep eyes open all around me.
pitbull running full-bore at you had to be frightening! Sounds like you did the right thing. I'm going to remember that move!:rolleyes:
My "funny" was at the Meme you posted. The frozen tree posture just came to me instinctively, knowing that movement or yelling can invite more prey-drive. Had the dog actually come in for a bite I would have gone into attack mode on it, kicking and yelling. They expect you to run and it really did help to stand my ground. Yup, I'm loving my new trainer too.

Thankfully your 2nd trainer sounds awesome and made the best out of that situation so Asha knew and could prove she wasn't going to be reactive so long as the dogs are well behaved and under control! Sounds about right to me! Good girl!!!
Asha was amazing. As soon as she saw the dog being submissive to the leash and handler she was totally chill. This was the 4th class with this new gal and I'm more impressed each time. She just teaches manners & handling, not show or AKC stuff, she specializes in bad behavior or out of control dogs, encourages use of prongs and e-collars to make short work of it. She didn't use either of these tools on the dog that jumped Asha, just the fat rope slip lead that he had on, and still he respected her in about 2 minutes. I signed up with her for help getting Asha to work with distractions.

LifeofRubie

UGH. It's literally the LAW the have your dog on a leash (here). Our neighborhood is pretty laid back and not a whole lot of traffic on the streets immediately around our house because main thoroughfares are a few blocks over.

This does not prevent at least three dogs that I can think of off the top of my head from routinely walking around the neighborhood without leashes on. The one guy does at least usually have his dog under control. The other guy mostly does not. And the third dog... those people have no idea she's even outside, much less running around peoples yards.

All three of these dogs have come up to us on several occasions and I stand between Rubie and the approaching dog and yell NO deeply and firmly. Our dogs know these dogs but that doesn't matter to Rubie. Moose is good in that he can be approached while on-leash and usually intercept while Rubie and I distance ourselves. *luckily* this has worked and Rubie is generally unconcerned afterwards, even if the dog is still running amuck, similar to how Asha sounds, @Ravenbird. I am always ready to give an approaching dog a swift kick, though.

I was in the side yard the other day while the one dog and his owner walked by, dog off leash. Duke (very sweet) pranced right up to me and I pet him. His owner said that Duke was "in trouble" that day because he keeps approaching people on their walk because he wants attention. It literally took everything I had to not say "THEN PUT HIM ON A LEASH, RAAAAAAY!"

AnnV

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Wow yes loose dogs is one of the most disturbing things... in those situations walking with one dog in tow is challenge enough. I often wonder how you with two (or more) dogs manage.

Lizbeli

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
What frustrating experiences. Its a good thing your girl was in the truck for the first instance. She was definitely protecting you and didn’t like the energy of that pit. But if she was out who knows what kind of interaction they may have had.

Its funny I just came across this thread. About thirty mins ago a loose unfamiliar dog was in my front yard. Some sort of border collie mix.

I park my car literally 6ft away from my house, so when I load up Jasper he is off leash with his e collar on. He normally runs right to the car door. But today, I decided to walk around my car and load him on the other side. The loose dog was on the other side of my car, so I couldn’t see him. Jasper body slammed this dog multiple times and chased him to the street. Thankfully the other dog was not aggressive and just took it as “okay, you don’t want me here.” Some growling. Not biting. But it happened so fast and caught me off guard. I had to zap Jasper to get him back by my side in a down. He was going to go for the dog again as I don’t think it was leaving the area fast enough lol..

I am conflicted this time as to what Jasper was thinking. Maybe just territorial? The other dog seemed calm. Wasn’t approaching me. Just stood there on our property. After Jasper chased it off the loose dog hung out at my neighbors with their dog. They were both chill together. I felt like Jasper over reacted so I was kind of upset with him. But now I am not sure if he was just trying to get the dog away from me and the property. He didn’t bite, so thats good? Who knows.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
Maybe just territorial? The other dog seemed calm. Wasn’t approaching me. Just stood there on our property.
If Jasper doesn't usually act like this in public, I'd guess territory. This is why when you introduce 2 dogs it's best to do it in a neutral place where neither dog "owns" that space. Asha claims the vehicles as her place too, or if we have a group of people/dogs in the park for a lesson she's good with that, then it becomes "her place" and if a new person and/or dog comes into our space she goes to mumbling/hair up/and I have to give her sharp correction to get her to quit. This is getting better but I think it's one of those forever things that I will have to manage. It's funny tho, walking downtown sidewalks, tight quarters with people & dogs, she's fine, and I think it's because we don't stop and "claim" a space. Constant moving along and she doesn't seem to worry about others.

Kaiser2016

I'm ok with what Jasper did, the dog was on his turf. I agree it can seem like over reaction, but sometimes it seems like all or nothing with these guys. In the safety of the fenced backyard, Kaiser may growl before barking, but out front on the driveway (no fence) he goes in to barking madness. It took a while to get used to those kinds of eruptions, now it's like wow, that's my boy!

Maze

Wow thats a scary situation and that's what I fear, if my dog or anothers dog gets off the leash and charges another living thing.

I personally carry a knife with me at all times and while I don't think I would stab a dog, I would rather choke it with my hands after taking a bite. Then again I don't know how I would react in a situation like that.

Thats also why I got a large dog. I don't have to fear my dog being beat up by any other dog. Whenever I walk Maze people pick up their cat-sized dog and i smirk;yet, i am still attempting to teach Maze to stay focused and not be attracted to other dogs either joyfully/aggressively.

KeelaGirl

I was on a walk on a dirt trail with my 6 month old girl keela and my 2 small daughters. My 6 year old was holding keela (we use a prong collar) and there were 2 women and a dog coming towards us, all of a sudden the dog starts running at my dog and daughter running full speed as the owner was yelling for it to stop and come back but the dog was just ignoring her. I ran up to my daughter and keela to get in between them so the dog couldn’t hurt them but the whole time I’m scared (I’m a buck 20 not a lot to work with lol!) thinking what am I going to do against this dog to protect mine (she is only 6 months)! The lady yells she is nice she is harmless...my good girl keela just sat next to my daughter as the dog came she didn’t run away or towards the dog which I’m so thankful for she just stood her ground next to my daughter. It made me so angry though don’t have your dog off leash if they are reactive to other dogs and aren’t trained! She is lucky keela is still a pup bc I can only imagine if she was full grown and a dog ran at her with my daughter next to her. She must have felt that they weren’t in danger that the dog wasn’t aggressive. We talked for a minute and she proceeded to tell me the prong collar was too tight...actually no lady it isn’t but thanks for your concern with my well behaved dog...worry about your own dog!

LifeofRubie

The lady yells she is nice she is harmless...my good girl keela just sat next to my daughter as the dog came she didn’t run away or towards the dog which I’m so thankful for she just stood her ground next to my daughter. It made me so angry though don’t have your dog off leash if they are reactive to other dogs and aren’t trained!

I always yell back MINE IS ON LEASH AND IS REACTIVE! :facepalm: obviously her dog isn't that nice if she feels she can just bum rush the first living thing she see's. I know a lady who's boyfriend just loooooooved having their dog off leash where she shouldn't have been and didn't have control over her. She took off in the woods and got impaled... IMPALED by a stick and nearly died.

Lizbeli

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
she proceeded to tell me the prong collar was too tight...actually no lady it isn’t but thanks for your concern with my well behaved dog...worry about your own dog!

I hate this. I actually put an extra link in our prong collar when I visit the vets. I know they are already against the collar itself. Thats all I need is a vets office keeping my dog for suspected abuse.

But seriously, getting a snarky comment from that woman! She should just secure her dog, apologize and be on her way. Smh.

PS that photo of Asha.. Talk about a beautiful doberman!

jazzies mum

Hot Topics Subscriber
A while ago there was a thread about shock sticks? Can't remember what they are called precisely, but what a great idea! Why should our dogs and ourselves be at risk through other peoples stupidity. Unfortunately here in Australia we are not allowed to carry any defense weapons, unless we are law enforcement. I am wondering if I could manage to get a cattle prod from a rural supply outlet, and make it look like a walking stick...........probably not, but an idea. I would have loved to blast that really aggro dog into orbit!!!!!!!
Still on the same subject. What happens when the dog being attacked is being walked by a child? My recent experience happened while I was walking Jazz across to the amenities block, minding my own business and going near no one. A child could be caught in the same situation and either be harmed or suffer the trauma of watching their dog being ripped apart! Just Not On! :furious:

AnnV

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
A while ago there was a thread about shock sticks? Can't remember what they are called precisely, but what a great idea! Why should our dogs and ourselves be at risk through other peoples stupidity. Unfortunately here in Australia we are not allowed to carry any defense weapons, unless we are law enforcement. I am wondering if I could manage to get a cattle prod from a rural supply outlet, and make it look like a walking stick...........probably not, but an idea. I would have loved to blast that really aggro dog into orbit!!!!!!!
You mean tasers? They might also ramp up a dog that is already in attack mode, as far as I heard. Not that I have advice on the best defense weapon. A robust walking cane of wood perhaps, but utterly impractical to be dragging along...